Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Canine genetics and heredity issues

Canine genetics and heredity issues For bloodlines and breeding related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 21st July 2001, 05:02 PM
Boxer Booster

Unhappy Puppy with one testicle?

A friend of mine took her puppy to the vet, and he found that, so far, he only has one testicle that has descended. None of the males in his past five generations, on both sire and dam's pedigrees, have this problem, and most are Champions, as is his sire.

My question is, how common is this, and how long does it usually take for the other testicle to descend (if ever)? Since there is no evidence of a hereditary issue, do some dogs just suddenly develop this trait, or could it be that it's just something that will work itself out, so to speak? Thanks in advance for the advice!
Sponsored Links

Old 21st July 2001, 05:35 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I have read that an undescended testicle puts the dog at a MUCH higher risk of cancer. With that information was the advice that the best course of action would be to have the dog neutered. I don't know how old the dog has to be for this to be a risk.

Please take note of any advice given by more experienced boxer owners, and I hope that either way all goes well with your friends dog.

Old 21st July 2001, 05:55 PM
Boxer Insane

Hi, how old is the puppy? Occassionally boys take a little time (up to 12 or so weeks of age), for both testicles to decend, but generally by 8 weeks both are present and accounted for. The trouble with this condition is that it is not absolutely
clear how it is inherited, several different genes are probably involved (so it is polygenetic), making elimination from a gene pool difficult. I guess it is also possible that it could 'suddenly appear' (though there would have to be a variety of 'reasons') as there are some grey areas in this type of thing. The Pet Education site has a good general overview http://www.peteducation.com/repro/cryptorchid.htm

From http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/Genetics/BasGen4.html
A classic example of a sex-limited trait in dogs is unilateral or bilateral cryptorchidism, in which one or both testicles cannot be found in their usual position in the scrotum. Since a bitch has no testicles, she cannot be a cryptorchid - but she can carry the gene(s) for cryptorchidism, and pass them to her sons. Likewise, genes affecting milk production are not normally expressed in a male. The main problem with sex-limited inheritance is that it is impossible to know even the phenotypes of the unaffected sex in a pedigree, which makes it difficult to determine the mode of inheritance.

Here is a defination of this condition taken from http://www.realgsd.net/GSDinfo/Care/cryptorchid.htm

Cryptorchidism © by Fred Lanting
The most common congenital anomaly of the scrotum and testicles is the apparent absence of one or both gonads. I use the word "apparent" because the missing testicle(s) usually are actually present inside the body cavity of the dog. The Greek kryptos means hidden, secret, or covered, and the Greek orchi- is a combining form referring to the testicles. The condition is therefore called cryptorchidism and the dog so afflicted is called a cryptorchid. If one testicle is retained, he is a unilateral (one-sided) cryptorchid and if both, a bilateral cryptorchid. A word commonly applied to the former is monorchid but this is a misnomer, as monorchidism would mean the presence of only one testicle anywhere in the body, not just in the scrotum. True monorchids are quite rare, as are anorchids (males with no testicles), and either condition can be verified only be extensive surgery.

A dog whose testicles have been removed is commonly but inaccurately referred to as having been "neutered", but more accurately he is called a castrate. Such a dog generally has no (or greatly reduced) response to sexual stimuli, while a sterile bilateral cryptorchid may have normal sex urge, and a unilateral cryptorchid is usually both virile and fertile.

Matt or Julie may be able to offer more on this

Sharon

Old 22nd July 2001, 07:37 AM
Boxer Booster

Thanks for the information, I will pass it on. He is only 8 weeks, and the vet said to give him 4 more weeks before making the final diagnosis. If it doesn't descend, she was told that he would have to be neutered, and have surgery to remove the AWOL testicle. She was considering showing him in conformation, but will have to find another route, such as confirmation, or agility, if things aren't resolved soon. None of that will change his only-child-spoiled-rotten status, though!
Have a great day!

Old 22nd July 2001, 09:30 AM
Boxer Insane

If the puppy was purchased on a Show-Potential or Show-Prospect Contract (and more $$ was paid), then the difference in the price of a Show-potential VS pet companion puppy price should be refunded back.

Example: Say $800 was paid for a show-potential puppy, but this breeder charges $500 for pet companion puppies. The $300 should be refunded back, as the dog can't show in conformation because of the testicle being retained.

Old 22nd July 2001, 09:42 AM
Boxer Booster

Red face OOPS!

Quote:
Originally posted by kimbub
She was considering showing him in conformation, but will have to find another route, such as confirmation, or agility, if things aren't resolved soon.
OOPS! I meant she will have to go the OBEDIENCE, or agility route! Not, confirmation, which I spelled wrong any way and should be conformation!

Thanks for the advice!

Old 22nd July 2001, 02:46 PM
Boxer Booster

Thats too bad if she was planning on showing the dog. If she bought it with a contract as a show dog she might be able to get another dog but to give up a dog for just having one testie is something I couldn't do. My Gibson had the same problem but he was bought as a pet and was going to be neutured anyways but the extra surgery was alittle scary. They had to go in an remove the pea size testicle. You can't even see the scar anymore!

Good luck to your friend!

Old 27th July 2001, 12:26 PM
Boxer Insane

Cryptorchidism is a current topic on the show boxer
list. It's fairly common, present in the best families

Which one is missing ? Somebody today posted this
interesting observation from Frau Stockmann, the mother
of the breed:

"Perhaps it is important - at least it is interesting - that in about 99% of the cases of monorchidism it is the right testicle that is missing. If a puppy's right testicle descends first, then you can almost be certain that the left one will follow, even if it takes awhile".

I will watch this in the future -- might be useful!

The vet is right, however -- if it's not down by 12 weeks
chances are it's not coming down. It makes the neutering
more spay-like because it's more complicated, but it
is a very common procedure and not one I'd worry about.

Old 23rd August 2001, 07:14 AM
Boxer Booster

Thumbs up Everything is fine!

The pups AWOL testicle has taken it's rightful place, just in the nick of time to have his ears cropped, which they weren't going to do if he could noy be shown. Thanks again for the information!