Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Canine genetics and heredity issues

Canine genetics and heredity issues For bloodlines and breeding related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2006, 02:24 AM
Boxer Booster

Question on difference between Fawn & Flashy Fawn

Just curious on exactly what characterizes the difference beteween a fawn and a flashy fawn...same with brindle. Would Sophie be considered a flashy fawn? Or classic...All boxers I've seen always have some white on them, that is why I ask.

Thanks

BTW, you can see Sophie in my gallery.

Old 17th May 2006, 02:26 AM
Boxer Insane

Sophie is a beautiful flashy fawn, same as my Angel. A classic fawn is where there is a black mask with no white, like Ruby

Old 17th May 2006, 02:36 AM
Boxer Booster

Ah, I see now....So all of Sophie's brothers and sisters had full black masks, other than that they were exactly like her, but they would be considered classic whereas she has the white stripe she is flashy...I understand now, I didn't know if flashy meant more white than what she had or not...ha ha, she is pretty much on the border then

Thanks!

BTW all of your Boxers are absolutely beautiful, I have a feeling in a year I'll have another one, my wife absolutely loooooves Sophie, she joined boxerworld (It was hard to get her to join our family forum that I made..lol) and just keeps going on and on about getting another furbaby in about a year! My wife is really a sucker for white boxers, she absolutely loves Luka and those beautiful fawn patches around his eyes!

Last edited by TecShdw; 17th May 2006 at 02:38 AM.

Old 17th May 2006, 02:55 AM
Boxer Insane

I am not sure how much white determines the title 'flashy' as some boxers have more flash than others, but Sophie is definately flashy! ~

Thanks, he does seem to attract all the attention with his soulful face! I was intending to have just the 2 but then Angel, Luka's sister unexpectedly became available and then there were 3!

Old 17th May 2006, 03:27 AM
Boxer Booster

Wow, you put it that way I suppose there is no question. It's flash either way! ha ha. Thanks guys for the information, I think I'll always be getting educated on the breeed!

Old 17th May 2006, 02:00 PM
Elusive Moderator

I would not be sure that Sophie is flashy (in fact, I'd suspect that she's classic).

The difference between a flashy and classic dog is actually a matter of genetics. There is some basic information about that on our coat colour inheritance page at www.boxerworld.com/coat_colour

In short though, boxers have two genes that are relevant here - S for solid coat colour (which never means completely solid colour) and an allele of s for white markings (actually the extreme white spotting allele sw). Every pup gets one of these genes from each parent. If the dog gets two copies of S, then it will be classic. If it gets one S and one sw, then it will be flashy. And if it gets two copies of sw, it will be white or nearly all white (better described as ultra flashy).

In most cases, we can just look at the dog and tell what it's genetic makeup is. A classic boxer usually has white on the toes, chest, tip of tail, and possibly a little on the chin and face. Flashy usually has white feet (not just toes), perhaps some distance up the legs, white chest and belly, white on the face, and possibly a white collar also. Ultra-flashy, of course, is usually wholly or nearly wholly white.

Sophie though might be classic, or she might be flashy (and I'd lean toward classic). She's what often is termed "semi-flashy". She has white toes only (suggests classic), white chest only (again, suggests classic) and non-extensive white on the face (could be flashy, might be classic - it is not clear which). In short, it is not obvious just by looking at her which set of genes she carries. Of course, there is no genetic "semi-flashy" category - the dog either carries the sw gene or it doesn't. But when you can't be sure just from looking, then semi-flashy is the obvious descriptor. The only way you'd ever know for sure (obviously not recommended) is by repeated breeding with males that are certainly classic.

Old 17th May 2006, 02:13 PM
Boxer Booster

Yeah, breeding doesn't sound like the way to find out...lol. I can say that her parents were as follows. Her father was definitely Classic, her mother the same with jus a tiny bit of white on her nose (less than Sophie actually). All of the other pups in the litter were undoubtably Classic (1 of them had a really tiny bit of white on the nose), seems like that would mean the S gene. This is what I had thought originally because she had so little white on her. I know one thing, her and all of her littermates were just beautiful, and carbon copies of the parents!

Here is a pic of all of the pups (minus 3 that weren't in the picture). Pay no attention to the date on the picture..it's obviously wrong (this is when they were around 5 weeks old. Maybe this can help determine if she is classic or semi-flashy, I'm more curious than anything, guess it's my nature

http://www.****************************/files/allpups.JPG

Thanks again everyone for all of the information. BTW, Henri is absolutely beautiful!

Last edited by TecShdw; 17th May 2006 at 02:17 PM.

Old 17th May 2006, 02:23 PM
Boxer Booster

Wow, Sasha, Mattie, and Gracie look exactly like Sophie's mom did! They are very good looking boxers...and Sophies father was just straight up classic, no doubt about it. I'm leaning more towards classic also, especially with all of the information I've got from here! Actually I think her mom's name was Sasha if I remember correctly!

Last edited by TecShdw; 17th May 2006 at 02:27 PM.

Old 17th May 2006, 02:27 PM
Elusive Moderator

If all the littermates were classic, her father certainly classic, and mother very likely classic - then I'd say it's highly unlikely that Sophie is anything but classic also (supported by her appearance). Not that which genes she happens to carry actually affects anything, but sometimes it's interesting to guess And I'd say it's a near certainty that she is classic.

Old 17th May 2006, 02:55 PM
Boxer Booster

Yup, I thought it was interesting to try to figure it out, but it sounds more cut and dry now that we've discussed it! Plus I learned even more about the breed!

Old 18th May 2006, 04:04 AM
Boxer Booster

Classic sounds best to me also, especially considering her parents and 7 littermates! Thanks alot guys!

Old 14th August 2006, 03:42 PM
Boxer Pal

flashy?

does anyone know whether my puppy would be considered flashy? and what is up with the spots on her tummy?