Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Boxers & Children

Boxers & Children Use this forum if you have questions and concerns about Boxers interacting with children.

Closed Thread

Old 6th August 2005, 11:17 AM
Boxer Pal

Child Jealousy over dog

I hope someone can help...My six yr old son is jealous of 4 1/2 mo old puppy. It has become a constant battle in our home to keep these two at bay. Dixie wants to play when son doesn't & vice versa, so this creates alot of yelling. I have tried intervening by taking Dixie outside to play when she wants to romp and this causes my son to become mad that I am playing with her. Now he says that we love Dixie more than him. I am hoping that that someone can give tips on how to bring peace back into the house!
Sponsored Links

Old 6th August 2005, 12:42 PM
Boxer Pal

Thank you for your reply. I have done all of those things. Yes, our son is an only child. I have also included Dixie in the Time Out routine for bad behavior, so that our son is not the only one getting punished for being rough. It has seemed to help in the last few days. Is it possible that this is just a stage of adjustment that is showing up now that he is home from school for the summer? Dixie has been with us since 7 wks of age.

Old 6th August 2005, 07:40 PM
Boxer Buddy

We haven't gotten our baby Laila yet. It will be 2 more weeks. I'm kind of worried about the same thing. I have an 11 year old son and my BF has a 7 year old son. I think the 7 year old may be a little jealous about Laila being home all the time and getting so much attention. He's here so rarely.....I'm glad you started this thread so we can prepare to make her care part of his responsibility when he's here.

Old 7th December 2005, 07:52 PM
Boxer Buddy

Make them the kid's dog ? i.e you have a puppy/dog now, he/she will love you so much but needs you to teach them , I'll help by showing you how to do it and doing it with you ? First we need to set some rules, the dog isn't as clever as you, it doesn't understand everything you say only the things you teach it like sit and fetch, so it will be very scared of shouting or hitting etc. I can't wait until we can all go out to the dog park etc to play, can you ? You will also need to teach your friends how to treat the dog kindly because they will listen to you.

Dixies Mom - your son will probably thrive having more responsibility for the dog, i.e. teaching tricks etc and having to 'sit' for treats will help the dog feel secure and show your boy respect. also jealousy is normal, be open and honest with him about it, tell him you've felt jealous before, everyone has, but there's no need to be because you are my no,1 skinkid ! Always will be. A Hug ? (do 7 yr old boys still let you hug them or are they getting self consious ?) Now go play. (translation - jealousy is okay, we just have to deal with it appropriately). Or you could try - you know what Ithink htat dog is jealous of you ! cos when you're home he sees your my no 1 skinkid. We've all been jealous haven't we ? Poor dog, lets play to show him it's okay and he needn't feel that way, it's normal for me to want to spend so much time with you when you're home !

Worth a try ?

Jaycee

Mom to three year old girl, 1 year old cat, 14 week dog/docked and floppy.

Last edited by jimmyjones; 7th December 2005 at 08:01 PM.

Old 22nd December 2005, 06:43 AM
Boxer Insane

Everyone in my household is jealouse of Lola, non more so than my 13 year old daughter. She begrudges Lola everything. It's got to the point where I have to hide new toys when I come in then pretend she's had them for ages, LOL