Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Boxers & Children

Boxers & Children Use this forum if you have questions and concerns about Boxers interacting with children.

Closed Thread

Old 25th February 2005, 05:49 PM
Boxer Pal

Question Need Advice...how long to wait to get a puppy after baby is born?

My husband and I have wanted a boxer for awhile now. We didn't get one yet, as we are now expecting our first child July 10th. We have friends that have boxers and know a lot about them. We are wondering, though, how long after the baby is here should we wait before introducing a boxer baby to our household? Any suggestions would be great. I wish we would have gotten the boxer before the baby, but didn't, and we still really want to get one. Thanks in advance. Stacey
Sponsored Links

Old 25th February 2005, 06:02 PM
Elusive Moderator

Well, a puppy takes a similar amount of time and attention as a young child - and continues to need that time and attention for a couple of years. So what you need to be thinking about is when will you have the time to devote to training and raising a puppy? I would guess that the answer will depend to a great extent on your particular circumstances and how "easy" your baby turns out to be. LOL - have the baby first, and see when you think you'd be able to individually handle two of them. That's about when you might have enough time for a puppy (just like another child, but one that might chew on the human one ).

Old 28th February 2005, 08:20 PM
Boxer Insane

Whenever you think you can handle two babies :)

Before I got Doja.... I knew I really wanted a Boxer and was as prepared as I could be.... I knew I was getting one about a year before... But when I did finaly get her, I wasn't as prepared as I thought I was. Being a single person with no kids, it is truly like having a skin baby. Everything changed, my whole schedule.... now she is getting much more self efficient and is a little easier to handle than before. But I can only guess how much work an actual skin kid is......

Old 3rd March 2005, 02:30 PM
Boxer Booster

They called me crazy

We got our boxer 6 days after our second son was born. Yes, 6 days. Not recommended for everyone. My thought process behind it was that I was taking 3 months off from work and it would be a good time to work on potty training. This being my second child I remembered that the first couple of months include a lot of sleeping. Now one is almost 11 months and the other is 9 months. Justice loves her little skin baby and treats him like her own. They have kind of grown up together.

I won't lie to you it has been very rough on Mommy and Daddy, but they have a great relationship. If you're prepared for the work and you've done all your homework, the timing will work itself out. I would not recommend a first time boxer owner AND first time parent to mesh those two objectives until you have parenting squarely under your feet (after the terrible twos!).
Sadie:F-Choc Cocker Spaniel 2/99

Old 9th March 2005, 02:30 PM
Boxer Booster

We got our puppy when my son was just a year old and my daughter was 3 1/2. I will tell you that for 2 months ALL (and I mean ALL) I did all day long was take care of the kids and the puppy...there was no time for cleaning or anything like that. It was like having another baby. But I knew it was going to be like that, and since I don't work, I would have the time to devote to it. Once Porter was old enough I started obedience classes at night, doing first the puppy one and then the next level. When you have little kids I think it even more imperative to take obedience classes. I would not get a puppy in the winter time. I did this in mid-spring and it really helped that we spent a majority of the day playing in our fenced backyard. Porter potty trained quickly (a week and half) because of the way I set things up, keeping his water outside and being outside a lot. With young children, potty training can be hard, trying to clean up the mess before the youngest gets in to it...so gross! Also, I crate trained Porter and basically put him on schedule. He had increments of the day where he went into his crate and could rest. He got time to sleep and unwind and I would get time to do the things with my kids that were hard when I had a puppy underfoot. It is a lot of work, but the payoff is that you have a puppy that is very well socialized to children and loves your kids.