Go Back   Boxer Board > SHOW BOXER FORUMS > Boxer Standard

Closed Thread

Old 16th July 2004, 01:01 PM
Super Boxer

Talking Under bites?

Brandy never had an under bite at all... but Abigail she has a definite under bite ..its kind a cute... Abigails bottom jaw extends out about 1/4 inch or so more than her top jaw. It's not really noticeable unless you get up close and personable. She's 22 weeks old weighs in at 33 lbs. Does anyone have any thoughts on this... could it be a problem? Do they get worse? Thought I would ask..
Sponsored Links

Old 16th July 2004, 01:14 PM
Elusive Moderator

Boxers are supposed to be undershot It is Brandy, not Abigail, that is incorrect for a boxer. 1/4 of an inch might be just a little excessive, but not by much. It shouldn't cause her any problems, or change as she gets older.
Here's a link to the American illustrated boxer standard where you can see how the boxer bite should look: http://americanboxerclub.org/illstand/illstand5.htm

Old 16th July 2004, 01:15 PM
Boxer Insane

A boxer is supposed to have an underbite. A proper bite was described to me as one that has a space between the upper and lower teeth when the mouth is closed. Some say a 1/4" is about right for an adult.

I'm told that in a puppy you don't want to see such a large space. It was explained to me that usually the space will increse as the puppy grows. No matter, I don't see this as a problem. May create a messier eater and drinker but health wise, it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 16th July 2004, 08:28 PM
Super Boxer

Talking

Thanks for responding I wasn't sure ... none of the boxers I had ever had an underbite but Abigail sure does.. messer eating I would say I have to agree.. when she drinks water seems like she sprung a leak sometimes .. drip here and there.. she was lying on her back sleeping her lips flung back that's when we noticed it... like I said it 's kind of cute.. but I wasn't sure if at this age it was suppose to be so noticeable.. I'll keep an eye on it.. She doesn't seem to have any problems eating or anything else..