Go Back   Boxer Board > SHOW BOXER FORUMS > Boxer Standard

Closed Thread

Old 17th January 2011, 12:11 AM
Boxer Buddy

Small Boxer

Hello! I have a 1 year old (she is 1 year old today in fact!) female, brindle Boxer and she weights about 42 lbs and is about 21-23 inches at her withers. She's very lean and looks really skinny (people always ask me if she's a rescue...) although we feed her the amount of food recommended by her vet, and the times I have tried to feed her a bit more...she has really bad diarrhea and I don't want her to gain too much weight that her joints aren't yet ready to handle. I've always wondered about her size especially since I've been told she's the smallest Boxer that people have ever seen. But, according to the AKC website, her height is about right, and I've also been told by many other Boxer owners that she'll eventually fill out and keep growing until she's 2! I was wondering what experience anyone else has had this type of experience with their Boxer being really lean and skinny??

http://mylovesinlife.shutterfly.com/

Also, if anyone has really good recommendations on games or toys let me know! We have some birthday shopping to do tomorrow!
Sponsored Links

Old 17th January 2011, 06:02 AM
Boxer Insane

Just looked at the pictures, she is beautiful. Nice and lean and I don't think she looks too skinny. Boxers can take time to fill out until they are about 3 years old so your girl will likely fill out some more.
My girl Sky is 18 month old and weighs around 43 pounds, her weight hasn't changed much in the past 6 month. Some boxers are just smaller than others!

Old 17th January 2011, 07:37 AM
Boxer Insane

I don't think she looks too skinny, thin yes, but not skinny.
Thin with an athletic build is preferred!
Have you tried adding the extra amount of food in the form of an additional meal verses adding it to current meals? Too much food at one time can for sure result in diarrhea/looser stools. Just a thought.
She does have some filling out to do based on her age. Her chest will get deeper and she may put on additional muscle mass both should result in additional weight.
What type of food are you feeding her?

Old 17th January 2011, 11:16 AM
Boxer Insane

She looks perfectly fine! Especially for her age. She will fill out over the next 1-2 years (yes, maybe even until she's 3). Just think of her as an adolescent right now, in her pre-teen or early teen years. From your pictures though she does not even look as skinny as some other normal, healthy 1 year old boxers I've seen.

If you are feeding the amount recommended by your vet, and she is a healthy weight for her age and frame (which she is) then I don't think it's necessary to increase her food at all, in any way. You can't rush development and even once developed you can't MAKE her bigger by feeding her more... you can only make her fatter. Even as adults though, thin is preferred for boxers; you should be able to see the last few ribs on a healthy adult dog. They are not built like labs, but more like greyhounds.

She could potentially get to be 50 lbs when she reaches her final adult physique. Personally I don't see her getting any bigger than that based on her age.. but who knows. So yes she will probably be on the smaller side for a boxer, but if you ask me that would be just fine (less weight on your lap! ). Also keep in mind that many of the large boxers you see are poorly bred and WAY too big to fall within the breed standard. AND, something like 80% of pet dogs in the US are overweight.

BTW I LOVE the pic of her sitting in the snow looking at the camera Adorable!
Photo Album

Last edited by Caney Creek; 17th January 2011 at 11:18 AM.

Old 17th January 2011, 07:47 PM
Boxer Buddy

Talking Thanks!

Yay thanks so much for all of the compliments on my girl Savannah! I let her know as I was reading them how pretty she is! Haha

Caney Creek thanks for the information! I did think with her height and everything she was a normal sized Boxer, I've always thought she looked good and love that she is so trim and lean. I guess it's other people who are used to seeing overweight pets like you mentioned and I did let it get to me and started questioning my judgement on the research I did on the breed before adopting Savannah. It feels good to know that other Boxer owners, who are used to seeing the proper physique of one, don't think she looks too skinny or ill haha! I am glad that she won't be too big, seeing as how she is already able to pull me down (which she has done until we discovered the oh so wonderful head harness) and knock me down when she gets too excited and occasionally jumps on me, or gets in my lap as mentioned!

Cami I talked to my vet about feeding her 3 meals today actually! The only concern was she is on such an exact potty schedule, I'm worried adding that third meal again (we did it when she was a puppy and weaned her off of it) might undo the schedule. She's getting 4 cups a day and we are feeding her Nutro Sensitive Skin and Stomach because it's the only food that doesn't make her have loose stools. The vet did say we could try the Royal Canin Boxer breed food, but I've heard so many different things about it, I thought I would research it more before switching her over. Any experience with it??

Sansal thanks! It's good to know there are other smaller Boxers out there! I love the name Sky too!!!!! That was on our list of names when we first adopted Savannah

Thanks to all of your for your kind words and advice!!

Old 17th January 2011, 08:39 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvynme View Post
Cami I talked to my vet about feeding her 3 meals today actually! The only concern was she is on such an exact potty schedule, I'm worried adding that third meal again (we did it when she was a puppy and weaned her off of it) might undo the schedule. She's getting 4 cups a day and we are feeding her Nutro Sensitive Skin and Stomach because it's the only food that doesn't make her have loose stools. The vet did say we could try the Royal Canin Boxer breed food, but I've heard so many different things about it, I thought I would research it more before switching her over. Any experience with it??
Actually neither Nutro or Royal Canin are very good foods in general. If she has stomach sensitivity, try a grain-free food (Wellness Core, Orijen, Taste of the Wild, Solid Gold, etc.) or a limited ingredient food (Natural Balance LID, California Natural, Wellness Simple Solutions, etc.). You can find premium brand foods like these at most Petco stores, some feed stores (I get TOTW at Tractor Supply) and many other pet food specialty stores.

Check this site for ratings and reviews on all kinds of foods:
Dog Food Analysis

Use the Index of Reviews to search a food by name.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caney Creek For This Useful Post:
samsons (17th January 2011), savvynme (18th January 2011)

Old 18th January 2011, 12:48 PM
Boxer Buddy

Yeah we did have her on Buffalo Blue and then Natural Balance, but when she was on those foods she continued to develop UTI symptoms and it turns out she had calcium oxalate crystals in her urine. First with the Buffalo Blue, and then with the Natural Balance, and since we switched her to the Nutro she's been doing great with everything. It's normally a food I would pick, but it's more affordable and she does so much better on it. She's been quite the fun with her health issues....ranging from having a really bad UTI when she was 10 weeks old when we adopted her from a program that found her and her litter mates in a poor environment, to her demodectic mange treatment. She's been expensive, but has been worth it!!

Old 18th January 2011, 12:56 PM
Boxer Buddy

Red face

Somehow only half of my message posted, but Savannah and her friend Lucy did just jump in my lap so who knows what keys they pushed! Haha! After reviewing the reviews on that website, I think I will go ahead and switch her over to a different higher quality brand. I'll just watch her urine patterns and have her urine checked regularly during the switching process and maybe for a few months after. Thanks again for all of the information!!!

Old 18th January 2011, 01:18 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvynme View Post
Somehow only half of my message posted, but Savannah and her friend Lucy did just jump in my lap so who knows what keys they pushed! Haha! After reviewing the reviews on that website, I think I will go ahead and switch her over to a different higher quality brand. I'll just watch her urine patterns and have her urine checked regularly during the switching process and maybe for a few months after. Thanks again for all of the information!!!
That's what we're here for!

If you start a new thread in the Feeding forum I'm sure someone else will have advice on what foods might work for Savannah, considering her history of UTI and crystals in her urine. It's not something that I have experience with but I know some other members here have.

Old 22nd January 2011, 06:55 AM
Boxer Buddy

Talking

Well, I ended up having a talk with her vet, lucky for me she's a friend from high school and college, so I see her a lot! Haha We are in the process of switching her over to Buffalo Blue Wilderness Duck, since it's grain free, and she's not too worried about the crystals in her urine since the ingredients and stuff are different, I dunno, too advanced for me, haha. I was going to go for the Orijen until I saw the price! Haha, Savannah's daddy and I can't afford that yet, but maybe one day! Haha! What's great is she's still at getting the 25% of the new food in her meals, and her stools are already improving!!!
Apparently my friend had suggested a grain free food before, but my fiance had taken her...and being a new couple starting out, he saw the prices of them and asked "what's the next best thing?" So I'll be taking her to the vet from now on, haha!
But thanks again for all of the advice! I would have never thought to talk to her vet if you hadn't mentioned a grain free food! And, now for future reference, I can use that food website! So glad I joined this forum! Thanks so much again!

Old 17th February 2011, 11:00 AM
Super Boxer

Just cause its 'healthy' doesn't mean your boxer will do good on it, like you were saying. Orijen for us at least was way too protein rich. When we switched her to it, price was no issue we just wanted to haver her poop solids. Her stool improved when we started, we were thrilled, but as she got settled on it, went back to our earlier problems. Ours is really sensitive to grains (ie. vet food). Totw: pacific stream did the trick.

Like Caney said, there are soo many that are just too big. There isn't a day im at the park with her when I don't hear about how big someone's boxer is, oooo, ahhhhh... ummmm.... ok. I'm with you in the petite club. 1.5yrs, ~55lbs and still filling out but height pretty steady, very close to what yours is. A 100lb boxer is different. Like there is a senior boxer on my street, Ginger, she's bigger but the owner has said she's put on weight from food/lack of exercise. Not ideal you know.

Thought if i typed this out the photo website would load... damn you work, damn you. I'll have to check it out later from home.
savvynme (24th February 2011)

Old 17th February 2011, 07:10 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I have a petite boxer girl too, according to other people. But all the vets have raved about how great she looks. She is 23 inches and 52 lbs at 3+ or so years old. And she is a lap dog, so it's probably for the best!
The Following User Says Thank You to sargboxerluv For This Useful Post:
savvynme (24th February 2011)