Go Back   Boxer Board > SHOW BOXER FORUMS > Boxer Standard

Closed Thread

Old 18th August 2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

Black Boxers?!

So tonight I came across a breeder advertising AKC registered BLACK boxers.

I thought the AKC Standard stated that boxers had to be fawn or brindle...and the disqualifications are copied and pasted below from the AKC website...

Disqualifications Boxers that are any color other than fawn or brindle. Boxers with a total of white markings exceeding one-third of the entire coat.

I'm wondering 1 - how they are able to say these puppies are Black and AKC registerable and 2 - how this affects the boxer breed if at all. For example, we know white boxers can have more health issues so I was wondering if the same could be possible with black, however they are coming up with the black dogs?

Just curious, Thanks BW

Moderator note: the rules are very clear. "Black boxer" threads are not allowed.
Sponsored Links

Old 18th August 2010, 08:51 PM
Boxer Insane

You can register a Boxer not of the accepted color with the AKC, I didn't do it because it was a waste of money since I wasn't going to breed him, but my white boy had the ability to be AKC registered. You just cannot show the dog if it isn't of the breed standard.

However BLACK Boxers do not physically exist. They do not have the genetic DNA to be black. They are either a dark dark brindle (but still brindle) or if they are truly black then they are a mix of some sort. It is genetically impossible for a Boxer to truly be black and if a 'breeder' is selling them as black then they are ignorant of the breed, which IMO makes them a backyard breeder and those dogs are either truly brindle or they are Boxer mixes.

Also white Boxers DO NOT have more health issues than any other Boxer, this is a huge myth/old wives tale. They have a higher chance at being deaf at birth, but that is the only thing that sets them apart from their colored counterparts, you know that by 8 weeks old and past that they are no different than any other Boxer.
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07

Last edited by BxrMommieNAZ; 18th August 2010 at 08:53 PM.

Old 18th August 2010, 08:59 PM
Banned

Thanks for that, I thought they had more chance of skin issues, allergies/sunburn etc I knew about the deafness. I have never had a white baby.

But yes I agree with your opinion on them seeming to be being back yard breeders and I thought I was right in thinking they couldn't be black.

Thanks for your insight

Old 18th August 2010, 09:41 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrloki View Post
Thanks for that, I thought they had more chance of skin issues, allergies/sunburn etc I knew about the deafness. I have never had a white baby.

But yes I agree with your opinion on them seeming to be being back yard breeders and I thought I was right in thinking they couldn't be black.

Thanks for your insight
Well yes they can get sunbured, but so can a flashy fawn with white on their belly. Sunburning isn't a health issue. Health issues are cancer, hypothyroidism, allergies, DM, etc.

They do not have a higher chance of skin issues or allergies...no more than any other Boxer anyway.

Old 18th August 2010, 09:47 PM
Super Boxer

Registration

White although a disqualification in the show ring can be registred, however a black boxer can not be registred so it would be interesting to see what color they put on the papers. I would be interested to know. Either the dog is not a purebred boxer so can not be registred with the AKC or the dog is simply a dark brindle that looks black and would be registred brindle not black. Hope this helps.

Old 18th August 2010, 10:44 PM
Boxer Insane

Likely just a dark brindle.

Here's my Juno:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...g/DSC_0029.jpg

Most people just think she's black... but she IS purebred so genetically she's brindle. We did register her with the AKC and she is registered as brindle. I do believe the AKC does not disqualify dark brindles, however they have to have distinct striping.

Anyone calling them BLACK boxers or saying they are RARE is either misinformed or just trying to make more cash. Or both.