Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd April 2006, 09:03 PM
Boxer Booster

Question 6 weeks old puppy

I'm going to be picking up my new boxer puppy this Friday afternoon. He will be 6 weeks and 1 day old. Have any of you brought a pup home at this age???? Does anyone have any helpful tips????? Thank you
Sponsored Links

Old 3rd April 2006, 10:36 PM
Boxer Pal

BIG TIP. I took Bevo home at 6 weeks as well. I first saw him when he was 3 weeks and that is when I picked him out. I actually regret taking him home this early because he seemed a little too fragile and didnt really take to hard food very well. If you can, wait a few weeks and let your pup stay with the mom. Either way, everything turned out great here and Bevo is growing like a weed. You should be ok. Good Luck.

Old 4th April 2006, 04:25 AM
Boxer Insane

Actually they are way too young to be brought home at 6 wks. They really should not leave Mom or their litter mates till 8 wks. Those two weeks are very important for their learning. Like bite inhabition.

Are you getting this baby from a reputable breeder because they would definitely not let you bring a new pup home before 8 wks?

Old 4th April 2006, 04:32 AM
Elusive Moderator

If it's at all possible, I'd suggest leaving the pup with his mother/littermates until an absolute minimum of 7 weeks, and preferably 8 weeks. The 6-8 week period is an extremely important developmental one for pups - this is when they begin to learn how to interact with other dogs, how to behave as a dog, how to play, the beginnings of bite inhibition, and how to accept discipline.

2 weeks may not sound like much, but it's 1/3 of the total life of the pup so far! And up until now, the pup has been not much more than a dependant blob LOL To put things into some perspective, it is illegal in many countries and several US States (not sure about Iowa) to re-home a puppy before the 8 week mark. That's not because some do-gooders thought it would be fun, it's there to protect the health and welfare of animals for whom earlier re-homing is detrimental

Old 4th April 2006, 07:00 AM
Super Boxer

We got Jesse when he was six weeks old and I think it was definitely too young. DH got him from a byb as a surprise for me. (If only he knew!) Anyhow, I had to bring Jesse everyday to my sister-in-law when I went to work. There was no way he could have been left alone at that age. DH picked him up on a Sunday and Monday morning he went to Aunt Jen's...where he met his "cousin" Sadie, a chocolate lab. The very first thing he did when he saw her was run underneath her and try to nurse. She is a real sweetie though and took good care of him. They still see each other every Sunday and really love each other. He really should not have been separated that young from his mom. And the biting issue...OUCH. Even now, he still sometimes tries to "play" bite. I would definitely recommend not getting one younger than 8 weeks.
2 Bostons, chihuahua, mini schnauzer and 4 birds.

Old 4th April 2006, 07:15 AM
Boxer Insane

I brought Kaybie home at 6.5 weeks old and she did fine. The pups in her litter naturally weened themselves from the mother and stopped nursing around 4 weeks old.....so she didn't miss out on any nutritional aspects of being with the mom. I have always thought that 8 weeks was a better time frame but I have had zero problems with bringing Kaybie home a little early. No problems with biting. In fact, I started training with her immediately when I brought her home and she was housebroken by about 8-9 weeks old. I taught her how to sit, lay down, shake, and roll over all by about 8 weeks old. So if anything, she was far ahead of the rest when it comes to her behavior. =)
~Bruno~rescued stray pitbull~born aprx Feb 2008

Old 4th April 2006, 07:15 AM
Boxer Insane

I read your other post and realize that the elderly lady wants to get them gone right now so I know he will be better off with you than her. Just read all you can find to read and the best of the best to all of you.

Old 4th April 2006, 03:16 PM
Boxer Booster

Question 6 week old pup

Thank you all for all of your tips, this site is so helpful!

I had a lot of people ask if I could wait to get the puppy. I can't wait any longer than this week. The lady that I am getting the puppy from is a older lady that wants them to find new homes now. She runs a daycare out of her house and I think that she is overwhelmed with the demands of 8 boxer puppies, she obviously never had a litter of pups before! I went to look at them when the puppies were only 4 weeks old (I drove 3 hours to look at them) and she wanted me to take the puppy home with me that day. I told her that taking a puppy that day shouldn't be a opiton and it was IMPORTANT for the puppies to stay with their mother for the first 8 weeks. She really didn't seem to be understanding what I was saying to her. She old me that I needed to come back by the the first of April to pick him up. I agreed, knowing that I wouldn't get the puppy at 5 weeks. When April 1st got here, I called her saying that I was unable to get down there that weekend and that I would be there next weekend(This Friday). She seemed upset, but agreed that I would come and get him then. I asked if others had already gone and she said that 2 had gotten picked up already. SO people were picking them up at 5 week.........WOW

One more question for all of you.....When I get him home, should I moisten his food with warm water or something else???? Thanks for all the help!!!!

Old 4th April 2006, 03:25 PM
Energetic Moderator

Wow, sounds like an unethical (or uninformed at the least) 'back yard' breeder. Are you sure you want to line the pockets of a person like this? I won't even ask if she has offered you any evidence of health testing, since I know that the answer is "no". I, personally, would run -- not walk away from this "breeder".

Please read www.boxerworld.com/faq

Quote:
What should I look for in a breeder?

The very first thing you should look for in a breeder is one who breeds only properly health tested stock. The boxer breed is prone to several serious genetically-inherited health conditions that need to be screened for prior to breeding. These are: aortic stenosis, boxer cardiomyopathy and hip dysplasia. Testing for corneal dystrophy is also appreciated, and a dog that has ever developed generalised mange must not be bred. Remember that these are serious health conditions that will severely impact on the quality and length of life of any affected puppies. While health screening of breeding stock can’t absolutely guarantee a puppy won’t be affected, it substantially reduces the risk. Your breeder should be able to provide you with hard copies of the satisfactory test results for both parents. If they can’t (or won’t), find another breeder.

Your breeder should also offer a minimum of 1-year written guarantee against genetic health conditions, preferably 2-3 years.

A good breeder should also (successfully) show their breeding stock. Conformation showing isn’t some elitist beauty pageant, it is exists for the purpose of assessing potential breeding stock. If you’re going to buy a purebred boxer, you want a boxer that looks and behaves like a boxer! Well, conformation showing is about the independent assessment of how much a dog looks like a boxer is supposed to and, to a lesser extent, how closely it’s temperament matches that which a boxer is supposed to have.

Warning signs – be very suspicious of any breeder who:

- Does not or cannot produce hard copies of health testing carried out on the parents of a puppy you’re considering. Just don’t buy from this person.
- Does not provide a written guarantee against genetic disorders.
- Does not show and title their dogs. Not all dogs need to be shown and titled, but if a breeder doesn’t show any of their dogs or none of them are of sufficient quality to gain a title, find a better breeder.
- Employs lots of phrases and buzzwords such as “champion lines”. We don’t want to see one titled great-grandparent in a pedigree, we want to see titled parents and grandparents.
- Allows, or asks you to take your puppy home before it is at least 7, and preferably 8, weeks old (note that 8 weeks is the legal minimum in many places).
- Tries to sell you are “rare” colour such as white (not rare), reverse brindle (not rare) or black (does not exist in a purebred boxer). Also beware of a breeder who presents a black puppy, calling it “reverse brindle”, especially if it is also “rare”. Backyard breeders have caught on that boxers can’t be black and some are now marketing black mixed breed puppies as reverse brindle. Very dark brindle boxers do exist, but the fawn striping should still be clearly visible especially in good light. See our colour genetics page www.boxerworld.com/coat_colour for more information on coat colour and inheritance.
- Charges more for “papers”. The AKC prohibits charging for registration papers. What is a breeder going to do with those papers anyway – use them for another dog or sell them to someone else to do the same? Don’t laugh, it does happen. Steer clear of anyone engaging in this practice.

You can read more about what are and aren't acceptable reasons to breed boxers (and how to go about learning to do things the right way!) at www.boxerworld.com/rescue/top6

Old 4th April 2006, 03:26 PM
Elusive Moderator

That's a shame Do you happen to know anyone else with a pup close to that age? If you do, and he can go to play frequently, that will help him out a lot with social development. And there are always puppy kindergarten classes too.

As for the food, you don't have to wet it. But doing so can help to make dry food a bit more palatable or recognisable as food for young puppies. So if he's a reluctant eater, then it can be helpful. You just need to check the preservative in the food first - don't pre-wet it if it uses citric acid.

Old 4th April 2006, 03:47 PM
Boxer Booster

We picked up Kobe at 7 weeks old, he is now 8 weeks and going good. I was a little skeptical, but he is doing just fine. He has a sister chihuahua (6 months old) that he gets to play with all the time, so I hope that he is learning bite inhibition from her. We softened his food with warm water and then drained off the remaining water. He had his vet check up today and is A OK. If at all possible let him play with other puppies as much as possible for these couple of weeks. Not letting him bite on you as well will help. Those two weeks are very important for his learning

Old 4th April 2006, 06:19 PM
Boxer Insane

Wow, 6 weeks is awfully early. I didn't get Sam until he was 2.5 months. I know that was a little late but he turned out fine. I was worried about socializing, but after a few days he was alright. I really hope that this woman does not breed anymore. I would suggest some formula milk for puppies. Feed it to him in a bottle. This will help him get some of the crucial nutrients he would otherwise be missing. Only do this for a few days up to a week. Then give him a puppy dog food. After all, this is an important stage in his life and you need to make sure he gets everything he needs.