Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 6th March 2006, 11:45 AM
Boxer Pal

Boxer vs. Labrador

Hi all!!! My wife and I are in the process in deciding on what kind of dog we are going to add to our family. We pretty much have come down to getting a Boxer or a Lab. I personally really want the boxer, but my wife is kind of in limbo on what she wants. How can I persuade her to get the fun, loving, and joyful Boxer? Has anybody had any experince in owning both breeds? What are the pros and cons between the two? Or am I comparing apples to oranges? I've been a memeber of the forum for just a few days and it seems everybody seems to give really good advice. Let me know what you guys think.

JSNBOXER

Future Boxer owner...hopefully.
Sponsored Links

Old 6th March 2006, 11:55 AM
Super Boxer

Inside or Outside

Do you want a dog that is independant and primarily stay outside or do you want one that will want to sit on the couch and watch TV with you.

We recently moved from our condo to a house so that our babies would have a big back yard and they only go out their to do their business or occasionally to burn or lay in the sun, but boxers are dogs that want to be with you at all times. They are always under your feet or laying with you.

Boxers are wonderful animals, but you have to have a lot of time for them.
Darby: 12/05 to 3/06~Butterfly Kisses

Old 6th March 2006, 11:57 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovNBoxers
Just tell her...............

All dogs are pets..............
Boxers are FAMILY

Nothing beats having a boxer!!!!!
I have this sign hanging above Bayleigh's crate!

Have her look through the picture gallery here on BW. Who can resist those smooshy faces?

Old 6th March 2006, 12:26 PM
Boxer Pal

Boxers all they way,
I don't know what i did for entertainment till i got Archie
The breeder i got him from said that a boxer will give you at least one laugh at least once a day,
So far me and my hubby have not stopped laughing....lol

Old 6th March 2006, 12:34 PM
Boxer Booster

my wife was the same way...she wanted either a boxer or a lab....

so she got the best of both worlds...a boxer/lab mix!

Old 6th March 2006, 12:37 PM
Boxer Booster

I think you are right that are common in lots of ways...both have high energy and need to be played with lots, both a loveable dogs, generally are good with people/kids, etc. But with that said, I have never seen someone who owns a lab get excited or really happy when they meet someone else with a lab...well not at least like boxer owners do. I think most people will agree we, the owners, get as excited as our boxers do when they see another boxer! There is something special about this breed...I will never get another breed of dog in my life!

Old 6th March 2006, 12:53 PM
Super Boxer

I have both a lab and a boxer. Let me tell you, I love both of my dogs to death, but I will never again (unless fate brings one to me) get another lab. Forget apples and oranges, My lab and boxer are like 2 different species! The lab is extremely hyper, toy obsessed, sometimes aggressive around other dogs, and has no interest in cuddling or even being pet. The boxer on the other hand is 60 lbs of love and devotion. He wiggles his bum so hard when we get home from work that you can't help but laugh at him and love the fact that he is so happy to see you. He is gentle and loves to be pet and cuddled. After having both, I'm definitlely going to stick with Boxers from now on. Both can be great pets, but there is just something incredibly special about a Boxer.

Old 6th March 2006, 12:57 PM
Super Boxer

I believe you must be talking to me! LOL I have a boxer and a lab and while yes they are apples & oranges, my lab is trying like heck to be an apple! LOL He is the best imitation boxer around!

And as far as being outside most of the time, the lab CAN be outdoors longer than the boxer because of his coat/etc, but ours are treated equally and if one is out they both are out etc. Needless to say in inclimate (too hot or too cold) weather neither is out for very long.

I never felt guilty leaving my lab for 8ish hours alone or home alone while I went away for a weekend (having someone come just to feed/potty etc) but that was before we added a boxer. I feel like a bad mother if we leave our boxer alone for any length of time and I would never dream of leaving him alone for a weekend and just have a visitor come and feed etc. I would have to have a pet sitter! As I would never dream of putting my pups in a boarding kennel (just my personal opinion). I don't know why boxers make you feel like this, but they do!

I love both of my dogs very much, but I will never own another breed but a boxer. The Boxer personality is above and beyond the lab. I love their vocals, their burns, their play boxing, the way they cuddle, their expressions and the way they steal your seat when you get up! Shedding is much worse with our (black) lab than our (fawn) boxer.

Boxers need much more exercise than a lab (don't get me wrong, lab's, especially young/puppies need plenty...but boxers need more). My boxer even got my middle aged lab to lose 15 lbs after we adopted him. If anyone has ever tried to put a lab on a diet they will understand what an amazing exercise regime this boxer put my lab on!

I don't think there is such a thing as "the best breed", but more "the best breed for you". So take a good look at your lifestyle and figure out what breed would do best for what you want. Boxers are seriously like one of your children and they EXPECT to be treated as such! And if you don't...we'll look out they will let you know!

Keep us posted on your decision.

Old 6th March 2006, 01:08 PM
Super Boxer

Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer Boxer

Do you know what my answer is????

I'm wondering if you went on a "Labrador World" web page and asked this same question, they would all say labs

Once you go boxer you never go back!
Cassius~5 Yrs~Fawn~RIP~You are Forever Missed

Old 6th March 2006, 01:10 PM
Boxer Pal

Thank you to all that have replied. I'll make sure to let my wife read the replies you have written, they are very sincere and truly speak from experience. If anyone else has anymore adivice, I would truly apprciate it. Thanks again.

Old 6th March 2006, 01:36 PM
Boxer Insane

I think boxer OWNERS are a different breed of people. I stopped on the side of the road yesterday and talked to a lady walking her boxer for 30 minutes and she's probably going to meet us (and 3 other boxers) for a playdate next Saturday. I can't say that I've ever stopped and talked to a fellow doxie owner for that long. There's just something special about boxers AND their owners. I think boxers just make their owners better people. Who can't feel better when they get to howl with laughter constantly and have one of the cutest faces in the world to look at when they wake up in the morning? I love my boys equally and each is special for different reasons, but I've never met another dachshund owner that would be willing to act like a complete goon when they come in contact with Bailey. However, boxer owners are more than likely going to come running up to you like a madman or woman to tell you about his or her boxer. Once you have a boxer, it's impossible to walk past another one without talking to it...and then saying hi to its owner. They're just too great to describe!

Oh, by the way, your wife should read "Marley & Me" before she considers a lab

Old 6th March 2006, 01:38 PM
Boxer Insane

Boxer of course

The thing with boxers, is they stay puppy like pretty much their whole lives. Just the way they play with their toys and act as though life is there to be lived! Never a dull moment Labs tend to be hyper hyper hyper when they are puppies but when they reach about 2 they slow down a lot and become pretty boring. Thats just what ive come to see from all the labs I know.

And you'll have a unique boxer. Nearly all labs look the same, but you'll be hard pressed to find two boxers that look exactly the same on this site

Like every dog, they do need to be taught rules and know who the boss is, but that goes with whatever dog you get