Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2005, 11:42 AM
Super Boxer

Angry She ate a whole tube of neosporin!

Yesterday I was at the hospital visiting my friend and her baby who is in NICU so I had to have my phone off. While I was gone Bailey decided to eat a tube of neosporin. My mom looked at the precautions and it said to call poison control immediately if swallowed by children. So she called the emergency vet first and they told her to call posion control. She did and they charged her $50 freaking dollars to tell her she will probably be puking and have diarrhea within the next hour. 50 bucks, I couldn't believe it I thought it was a free service.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't have called, but now I'm out 50 bucks. And she never puked either. She's becoming such a little punk (almost 10 months) grabbing everything off counters and chewing everything up. But I'm glad grandma cares so much about her little grandpup.
Sponsored Links

Old 31st May 2005, 12:02 PM
Boxer Insane

I knew they charged, but I didn't know it was $50! I wouldn't have called because I put neosporin on Beau's scar after his neuter and he licked it off without incident. He has a stomach of steel. He can eat anything without getting sick. It's always better to be safe than sorry, though! My mom probably would have rushed Beau to the vet to avoid the wrath I would bring down on her for not watching her granddog closely enough! She gave Bailey roast beef one time and he got sick so she took him to the vet! She had to pay for a vet visit, tests, and a bland wet food for him. Needless to say, she doesn't feed the boys table scraps anymore!

Old 31st May 2005, 12:14 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I had no idea they charged! I also thought it was a free service. Boy I would of received a shock! Does the payment come out of a phone bill or do you have to pay via credit card for the advise? I can't imagine digging for a credit card while a animal/child is sick. I'm sorry but that is crazy! That should be something the government oversees and should be paid for out of our tax money.

Old 31st May 2005, 01:05 PM
Super Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufust
Double check this with your vet, but you can use hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting when a dog eats something it shouldn't have and you can catch it within 30-45 minutes.
I thought so, but my mom thought I was insane when I told her that. I was not there at the time, so I could not use any of my boxerworld knowledge. She seems to feeling okay even though she never puked it up so I'm not really too worried.

Old 31st May 2005, 01:21 PM
Boxer Insane

Just a note, never give your dog peroxide to induce vomiting unless you are sure about what it ate. Some things, if vomited back up, can cause more damage on the way back out. Always safe to check with a vet (phone call) before inducing unless you are sure what they ate is safe to throw back up. Just info for those who may read this about the peroxide and not realize some things shouldn't be thrown back up.

Good thing your pup is okay, I never knew Poison Control charged either, that's nuts 50 bucks, sheesh.

Old 31st May 2005, 01:34 PM
Boxer Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hldavis
I had no idea they charged! I also thought it was a free service. Boy I would of received a shock! Does the payment come out of a phone bill or do you have to pay via credit card for the advise? I can't imagine digging for a credit card while a animal/child is sick. I'm sorry but that is crazy! That should be something the government oversees and should be paid for out of our tax money.

Animal posion control is totally different than people posion control. I believe the human version is free because of the government funding.

I called for the first time a couple months back and was surprised as well. It was one of those things I was pretty sure it would be okay, but wanted to double check. The operator was nice enough to assure me that more than likely I was safe, so I didn't proceed with paying. I waited the extra 5 minutes until my vet came back from lunch and talked her direct instead.

Still a good resource though for a backup when in an emergency.

Old 31st May 2005, 02:56 PM
Boxer Insane

I learned this when Tess ate some vitamins in the middle of the night. I called poison control for advise on what to watch for and whether or not I needed to take her to the ER. I thought they said they charged $15 not $50. When that point was clarified, I told them that they were crazy if they thought that I was going to pay them $50 so that they could tell me to take her to the emergency vet who would then charge me another $50 to tell me she's fine or not fine after actually examining her.

I don't get them at all. What's the point in the middle man if the cost to talk to them is the same or more expensive as an actual vet examination?

Sorry you're out the $50. In grandma's defense, though it's much better to error on the side of caution, especially with ingested poisons. I'm glad the pup wasn't sick. Tess loves neosporin and licks it right off whatever I put it on. I don't know what it is about that medicine.

Old 31st May 2005, 04:21 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

yeah this weekend maverick got into the trash and there was an onion in the floor i couldnt tell if he had eaten any but i wanted to be on the safe side so we called the er vet and they said that they had to eat alot of onion for it to be toxic and they said i can give you a number that can give you more info. they charge 50.00 to call. we were like no its ok. 50 dollars its crazy.
Striper our fat kitty

Old 31st May 2005, 04:47 PM
Boxer Insane

I have a fridge magnet for animal poison control, and it says right on there that there's a fee. So do they make you give them your credit card info before they tell you how to treat your poisoned dog? It may be wasting precious time if it's something really bad.
Megan 4 yr old brindle rescue

Old 31st May 2005, 11:38 PM
Boxer Booster

hydrogen peroxide is safe if your careful I was told by my vet that 1 tablespoon per 10 lbs. is safe. We had a dog years ago that ate an entire rotisserie chicken and we had to take him out to a ditch and dose him with it, I used a turkey baster to give it to him, and it worked like a charm. You do always want to call the vet first because there are certain things that they DO NOT want the dog to puke up and in those cases they'll have bring 'em in and treat it on other ways. but oh my lucky girl.
fawn-cropped tail-natural ears

Old 1st June 2005, 11:55 AM
Super Boxer

We've called poison control twice about Gus (once for Excedrin and once for a bug)...didn't know there was an animal version! Both times the "people animal control" helped us gladly and didn't charge us at all. We were instructed to induce vomitting with peroxide for the Excedrin and not to worry about the bug

Old 1st June 2005, 04:53 PM
Super Boxer

Guess she likes it

So apparantly Bailey likes to eat neosporin. She ate another tube this morning! I think she was caught in the act before eating the whole thing though. I told my sister she needs to keep that out of reach, although it was on her dresser, Bailey has recently mastered the art of counter surfing. What a nut, can't help but love her.