Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd September 2004, 09:35 PM
Boxer Pal

Undocked Tail!! *smile*

Hello! I brought my little girl home from Germany and over there the tails are kept! Oh my ... I always wanted a boxer and was not sure about the long tail. I went to the Boxer Klub for many weekends before getting use to it. My little girl kept hers...even when I got back to the US! Does anyone else have a long tail? I have heard that they can not be shown in the AKC with a long tail... but I kept her natural just like her family! *smile* Just wondering. The tip is white... and wow! What power those tails have. I now know why they docked em!
Sponsored Links

Old 23rd September 2004, 10:39 PM
Boxer Booster

Brady's tail is docked, but I've seen a few boxers in Athens with undocked tails. I was so amazed when I first saw a boxer with a tail... it really changes their appearance (though they are beautiful both ways). I probably asked the owner of the tailed-boxer tons of questions about it; I'm sure he thought I was nuts. Congrats on having a natural baby and watch out for that tail!

Old 24th September 2004, 02:43 AM
Super Boxer

Wow! You have a Boxer from Germany?! I recently read about them in one of my Boxer books which discusses different breed standards from different countries, here's part of it:

"Perhaps the most striking difference in conformation in the Boxer is seen in the home of the breed itself, Germany. Here, a strong emphasis on breeding working dogs has influenced the development of the breed, which is larger boned, more heavily muscled, broader in the head, and shorter muzzle than its North American counterparts."

There's also this thing called the ZTP, which is a breeding qualification test that the Boxer Klub of Germany enforces. The test, which examines the Boxer's conformation, health, temperament, and working abilities became a mandatory test for all Boxers seeking approval for breeding. Any Boxer that does not pass the ZTP cannot be bred-ever. If it is, the puppies are not allowed to be registered. It then goes on to explain each testing phase. The ZTP is credited with wiping out much of the German Boxer's health, temperament, and conformation problems and German breeders relate an extremely low incidence of white Boxers, and relatively few health problems. Pretty fascinating stuff! Please take lots of pictures for us!

Old 24th September 2004, 05:20 AM
Boxer Insane

My boy Beau is undocked! I love his tail!

Old 24th September 2004, 06:02 AM
Super Boxer

We left Belle's tail au natural and absolutely loved that long expressive whip. Unfortunately Belle lost her tail as the result of an infection when she was about 2 1/2 years old. She was always whipping that tail against the fence, trees, etc in the yard and developed a sore on the end that just would not heal despite antibiotics and ointments. The vet said lack of blood flow to the tip of the tail makes it hard to heal. Now she basically has a long docked tail..it's almost pointer length. We didn't want her recovery do be difficult so we chose to leave it on the longer side since our vet said it would be harder on her should we choose a true boxer length tail at that age, since the tail is really just an extension of the spine.

I don't think that's in the least common so please don't panic! But do be cautious if your long tailed babies get any cuts or abrasions on the very end of those long beautiful tails. Without her long tail, Belle has since compensated by wiggling her bum a lot more than she did with the tail
All docked & floppy

Old 24th September 2004, 06:45 AM
Boxer Booster

My girl Shelby has a natural tail. I rescued her from the local SPCA when she was just over 1 year. I always get people asking what she is, because I dont' think people see many boxers with tails.

Old 24th September 2004, 06:54 AM
Boxer Insane

Talking Tae has a tail!

I got my girl through rescue and she came fully intact. Ha, ha. She was spayed, but she does have her tail. It has the white tip, too, to match her white socks! She's a small girl (40lbs), but if she is near the wall and starts to wag, it does go "thump, thump, thump"! I have had people look at her and ask if she's a Boxer due to the tail, but most actually recognize her breed right away.

Old 24th September 2004, 10:40 AM
Boxer Booster

Talking

My little girl Riley has her tail too! I got her from byb who didn't bother docking the tails...but I love her tail! Everyone always asks me what my boxer is mixed with and I explain that she a full boxer. I just usually say "picture her without the tail, then she'll look like a boxer." I love the way her tail curls and she also has a little white on the tip. We haven't had any problems with her hurting her tail or breaking anything...but she is only 7 months old! I'm SO glad to see other undocked boxer lovers out there!! It's not the undocked tail that makes the dog...it is their personality (and, of course, those expressive eyes!)

Old 24th September 2004, 11:47 AM
Boxer Booster

Red face

Willis was the boxer I grew up with(now over the bridge waiting on his favorite person,me!)was undocked. And he was the best, he could whip that tail everywhere! It too had a white tip!

Old 24th September 2004, 12:30 PM
Super Boxer

Sirus' "girlfriend" (he is so in love!) Daisy (1 1/2 year old rescue) that lives a couple of houses down from us has her natural tail. I think it's cute...but wuv the nubbin's!

~White Male with a Fawn eye patch and lots of cute freckles!
~Born: January 25, 2003

Old 24th September 2004, 12:52 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyNC
It has the white tip, too, to match her white socks!.
I had to search through your album to see your girl and her tail! I love it! I have never seen a boxer with a tail, thanks for the pic!

Old 24th September 2004, 01:09 PM
Boxer Insane

Thanks, Mandy! I think it's possible to see part of Tae's tail in maybe one or two pics. I should try to get a picture of her that shows the whole thing.

BTW, I have received complements from some people b/c Tae does have a tail. One of the vets always comments!