Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 4th February 2003, 10:16 PM
Boxer Booster

Angry People think Boxers are dumb??!

I need some confirmation...I KNOW from all the research I've done that boxers are very smart dogs!! Well, it seems a lot of people that I tell I am getting a Boxer soon, they say~oh they are so dumb! What's with that?? My boyfriend was just on the phone with his parents and he told them about me buying this pup soon, and they both said that Boxers are really dumb dogs!! Excuse me?! Thanks for being excited for me...that's the only thing they said Also, one day we were walking outside and we saw a lady with a Boxer...of course I went right up to her! She said~yes they are beautiful but so dumb. Where is everyone getting this, I thought they were so smart! Or should I say I know, these people must not know anything. I want to prove to these people. My bf's dad said that if we saw a list of dog's intelligence, they wouldn't even be moderate. I was fuming. Is there really somewhere where I can look to see which dog's are more intelligent and which aren't? I don't even know if there's such a thing but I want to prove to them!!

Betsy
Sponsored Links

Old 4th February 2003, 10:37 PM
Super Boxer

Boxers are only inteligence when the OWNER knows how to put his inteligent to use and train!! people with boxers who just let there boxers do whatever and not give them the proper exercise and do not set rules for the dog are going to hav ethere hands full because the boxer then feels like HE is the leader of the pac and does what HE thinks is appropriet.. as for learning POTENTIAL the boxer is VERY inteligent and will learn things quickly, HOWEVER they can be stubborn because they get board quickly, so lessons should always be fun and its god to give them something new to learn every so often to keep them happy because they LIKE to learn! I hope that helped a little lol... I reccomend the book BOXERS FOR DUMMIES its wonderful and what a guide book

Old 4th February 2003, 10:48 PM
Boxer Insane

Boxers are not dumb... only sometimes stubborn. My boxer boy is a very smart guy, he know basic obedience, a few tricks, and knows the names of many things around the house, such as bed, toy, treat, outside, inside, leash, let's go bye bye and a ton more. It just takes time and be consistent. And be sure training is fun for your boxer and he'll get it!

Old 4th February 2003, 11:38 PM
Your Friendly Moderator

I've helped train lots of breeds and none are any smarter than a Boxer. One just has to know how to key into that intelligence and once you do, they are incredible. The most human of dogs I've ever experienced.

I say it is those people's loss if they think Boxers are dumb. We Boxer lovers/owners sure know that the joke is on them!!

Old 5th February 2003, 12:41 AM
Boxer Insane

Not only are they intelligent, but they are incredibly intuitive and sensitive. Your BF's parents are misinformed. You should look up and tell them about all they did for the German Army during WWI. I was just reading an article about the only SAR Boxer who was at the World Trade Center site. Boxers are also therapy dogs and guide dogs. Innumerable are the stories of how Boxers have put themselves between their owner or their owner's children and danger. They aren't as blindly obedient as some other breeds because they need to understand why you want them to do something and then they have to be motivated to do it. Some people don't want to take the time to figure them out so they make that assumption. By no stretch of the imagination are they "dumb" in any way. That comment just indicates your BF's parents' complete lack of knowledge about the Boxer breed. That other woman who owned the Boxer and made a similar comment is obviously not in tune at all with her dog. Too bad, it's her loss.
MISS HOLLY GOLIGHTLY - How do you spell "flibbertigibbet?!"

Old 5th February 2003, 12:47 AM
Super Boxer

I wouldn't worry about what other people say, we all know how intelligent and wonderful the breed is. After you get your puppy and take him/her to training classes they will soon see how smart they are and what great companions they can be. They definately can be stubborn lol but that does not mean they aren't understanding what you are saying to them. I taught Ozzy to sit at 8 wks, his first night home with us and after only a few attempts. He understands so many, many words, especially dinner or treat lol. Don't let what they say deter you from experiencing the love of a Boxer.
angelicon "Rocky" reverse flashy brindle 90-02 "miss u sweetie"
lovicon "Ozzy" flashy fawn b. 01/02

Old 5th February 2003, 12:51 AM
Boxer Booster

I have also heard many things regarding boxers that were sooo not true. I believe boxers are actually too smart for their own good, when something gets repetetive they get bored and see no point in continueing. I believe they use their own judgement to do things, if they think its worth doing.... they will. They're not little robots they have their own characters and opinions too Too smart .......... not at all dumb

Quote:
Also, one day we were walking outside and we saw a lady with a Boxer...of course I went right up to her! She said~yes they are beautiful but so dumb.
(Maybe some dumb owners that cant dont know how to communicate with their own dog though.... LOL)

Old 5th February 2003, 06:32 AM
Boxer Booster

Thumbs up The Smartest Dogs we have ever owned

Our dogs are the most incredibely smart dogs ever. Their vocabulary is tremendous. There are so many words that we spell just because we don't want a bunch of maniacs running around and getting excited just because they understand so much of what we say. We talk to them all the time and it's so great watching their faces as they light up with understanding. Sometimes we feel like we've created monsters they're so very smart.

Dumb, neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sherry,

Taz, Maggie & Seger's Mom
Seger - 6 yrs old rescue

Old 5th February 2003, 06:53 AM
Boxer Insane

I read an article the other day saying that Boxers are the clumsiest breed.

What they were actually compiling was a list of dogs most often needing vet treatment.

First came the Boxer and second was the Rottweiler.

The two breeds that I have!

Admittedly Billy has been to the vet on quite a number of occasions, I would really say that we was clumsy!

Old 5th February 2003, 07:19 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

A list of breeds ranked by intelligence came out a few years ago and Boxers were ranked fairly low. My suspicion was that what they were measuring was trainability and not intelligence. My Boxer is very smart - I know this is true!

My mixed breed dog, Karl, can learn a new command in one session. Lucy is five and we are still plugging away at obedience stuff. We are hoping to compete in Open soon. Most of the dogs in class are younger than Lucy and seem to make progress much faster. It's not that my girl isn't smart - I just think she learns differently. And I suspect that our failure to make more progress is probably a result of my ineptitude as a trainer.

The difference I see with Boxer is that some breeds will fetch something for you all day long. (For example, Lucy has to learn to retrieve a dumbbell in order for us to compete in the next level of obedience.) Lucy (and other Boxers I've worked with) will retrieve it once or twice and then tell you to go get it yourself if you think it's so great.

Claudia
Green Acres Boxer Rescue of WI
Mom to: Gideon and Gretchen

Old 5th February 2003, 08:08 AM
Hemingway

Honestly, everyone on here will be biased. From what I can tell Boxers are pretty damn smart, although very stubborn. I have been told by some of my vet friends and trainers that German Sheps are the smartest dogs overall. Boxers can learn almost as much but they take a bit longer to train.

There is a saying that in the time it takes to train 1 boxer, you can train 2 German Sheps.

Old 5th February 2003, 08:09 AM
Boxer Insane

I agree with everyone else. Boxers are the smartest dogs ever and they learn so fast as long as you make it fun and exciting for them. The trainer also has to liven up the sessions to keep the boxers attention. Everytime I have had a baby come stay with me for a bit or when I have fosters they learn the rules of the house very fast! Usually by the end of the night they are already doing what is expected of them

Claudia if you wanna play fetch you can borrow Rocks, he'll play fetch all day long if you let him