Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 27th November 2002, 04:00 AM
Boxer Booster

Cost of raising dog

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find it.

I don't know if its wrong to talk about this, but I'm trying to budget my next few years out, and factor in the cost of raising the dog. I have all the numbers in including insurance and vet bills, but I don't know how much to factor in for feeding. How much do people spend on food? Is there a difference in cost in the puppy years (more expensive food, making it more expensive to feed the dog or less food consumed, making it less expensive?).
Sponsored Links

Old 27th November 2002, 05:10 AM
Boxer Booster

HI!
We have a 2 and a half year old girl, Pebbles. We feed her Hills Science Diet, which is 50$ a bag (here in Canada), and that lasts a month and a half to 2 months.
I read somewhere the average costs were about 30$ a month to feed a boxer, but i'm not sure what site that was on now..
Pebbles did eat more as a pup than she does now. We would go through a bag about 2 weeks faster than we do now.
We put Pebbles on cheaper food once, and I think that was a big mistake. It seemed like she was hungry all the time - whining at her bowl and stuff, and she actually went thru more - plus I don't think it was as good for her.
I think in the long run a good quality food will cost more per bag, per month, but I bet it helps curb some health problems and ultimately cuts down on vet bills, etc.

Anyways, I hope this answers some of your questions!

-Bethany

Old 27th November 2002, 05:16 AM
Boxer Insane

Re: Cost of raising dog

It's a good idea to plan for the future costs of owning a dog, but it's impossible to have a set amount for vet bills. Emergencies can and do happen to several boxers so you have to be prepared to handle these. Some dogs end up needing surgery which can get very easily get up into the thousands of dollars. Basically you just have to have the cushion to know you can handle a situation like this if it arises because you just never know.

As far as food, it depends on what brand you go with. Around here, the premium brands go around $30 (give or take) for an average of a 40-50lb bag. I don't recall how long it takes Riley to go through a bag, but I know I've bought at least 3 (including the one he's going through now) bags in 6 months at home.

Old 27th November 2002, 05:17 AM
Boxer Insane

The cost of the vaccines are the same, no matter what size the dog is.

The cost of the food, heartworm preventative, flea/tick control, etc are based upon weight. The larger the animal, the higher the cost. Same for a crate - the larger the animal, the higher the crate cost.

Food - feed a premium quality food for several reasons.....
1) less food consumption & less stool cleanup
2) better quality for overall better health
3) costs CHEAPER in the long run to feed premium food.
Premium foods will run you $26 - $40 per bag (32 - 40 pd size), depending upon the foods.

Prices in NY are probably higher than where I live, but I will give you a breakdown based on prices from here.

Vaccines: (based upon what our area vets charge)
DHPPC - $22 - $35 (must be done in a series if a puppy, otherwise yearly)
Rabies - $8 - $15 (must be done yearly or every 3 years, depending upon your state laws)
Bordetella - $10 - $15

Heartgard Plus - (based upon prices at the clinic I work at)
Up to 25 pds - $14.95 (6 months) $27.90 (1 yr - Less $5 rebate)
26-50 pds- $26.00 (6 months) $50 (1 year - Less $5 rebate)
51 + pds - $36.00 (6 months) $70 (1 year - Less $5 rebate)
Also takes care of Hookworms & Roundworms.

Interceptor (Takes care of Whipworms, Hookworms, Roundworms)
Costs a little more than the Heartgard Plus.

We do not use the Proheart 6 Injection - it will NOT take care of any of the other intestional parasites. If you end up having to treat for intestional parasites, it will cost you more in the long run than if you give the monthly chewable of Heartgard or the pill of Interceptor.

Frontline - $12 per dose (single dose)
Up to 22 pds - $22.95 (for 3 doses) thru 89 - 100+ $36.95 (3 doses). I don't remember the price breakdowns for all the different sizes. If you buy 6 doses, then you get a 7 dose free. We recommend only using flea/tick control during the months you actually need it, not year round. (unless you are having a flea infestation problem)

I tell people to figure on at least 1 trip extra to the vet per year incase of an injury or sickness. Depending upon what can happen, you should expect $100 - $300.

Old 27th November 2002, 05:41 AM
Boxer Insane

I read somewhere that the average dog costs $4000-$6000 over the lifetime of the dog. That's all breeds averaged.

Old 27th November 2002, 10:45 PM
Super Boxer

well the average cost aside!!

I have a rescue dog and I love him to death, but just as a precaution be prepared for all kinds of expenses... Whitebuster was only around $150.00 dollars, but he had to have his eye worked on which ran up to 1300.00. He's finally well and its been worth it without a doubt, but, I just want you to know what can happen...

Old 28th November 2002, 08:20 AM
Boxer Insane

$4000-6000 sounds awfully low to me. Split the difference and say that's $500 a year for a Boxer that lives to be 10 years old - $42 a month. I spend $30 a month per dog on food, and I feed a raw diet which is less expensive than premium (and most not-so-premium) kibbles. Somehow I don't think $140 a year is going to cover training, licensing, health care, boarding, supplies, treats, toys (even if you don't spoil the dog rotten like most of us here do , etc.

If you're talking just food and not any other costs, it sounds much more realistic.

Old 28th November 2002, 08:21 AM
Boxer Insane

$4000-6000 sounds awfully low to me. Split the difference and say that's $500 a year for a Boxer that lives to be 10 years old - $42 a month. I spend $30 a month per dog on food, and I feed a raw diet which is less expensive than premium (and most not-so-premium) kibbles. Somehow I don't think $140 a year is going to cover training, licensing, routine health care, boarding, supplies, treats, toys (even if you don't spoil the dog rotten like most of us here do , etc. - much less any illness or medical emergency that might come up.

If you're talking just food and not any other costs, $4000-6000 sounds much more realistic.

Old 28th November 2002, 11:18 AM
Boxer Insane

If you like some degree of predictability, another thing you might want to consider is getting pet insurance. We have it for our 2 pups, and it costs us $26/month for basic coverage. It certainly doesn't cover everything, but it's a bit of a cushion.

Honestly, I think where you get your puppy or dog may have a lot to do with the costs involved over the dog's lifetime. If you get a puppy from a backyard breeder, the pup will be cheaper initially, but you should expect to pay a lot more in vet bills over the course of his/her life due to more health problems. If you get a pup from a reputable breeder, the pup will cost more initially but you will very likely spend way less in vet bills.

Our boy Chewy just turned 2, and I know we've spent at least $2000-$2500 just dealing with his pancreatitis over the past 5 months - and it's still not under control yet. Our pups have a lot of minor health issues which really add up big time at the vet's office. We don't care, though. They're worth every penny.

Monique