Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 14th October 2002, 07:53 AM
Boxer Pal

Toe Nails

Please help me out if you can! What can I do about my Boxers nails, I get them cut at the vet, but they are scratching up my deck so bad...and my hard wood floors. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Jasmine - Fawn with uncropped ears and docked tail. Born 9-30-99
Sponsored Links

Old 14th October 2002, 08:46 AM
Boxer Insane

How often do you trim them? They need to be trimmed weekly if possible and at the least every two weeks. If they've gotten out of hand it will take 3-4 trims a week to get them back under control. Also, if your boxers feet are not "cat like" and are flat, then I'm not sure if you can ever get them to not touch the floor.

We use a dremel tool to file down the nails...I can get them much shorter this way and don't have to wait for them to grow out very much at all to trim again. I've noticed w/ clippers the nail is hard to trim if they aren't very long. But, if you let them get very long then the quick will grow out as well which keeps you from getting them very short again.

Old 14th October 2002, 10:07 AM
Boxer Booster

Freshly cut nails are very sharp, so after you get them cut you can take an emery board and file them just like you do your own nails, pumice stone also works. Do you have the groomer at the vet cut them or is it the vet himself that cuts them? If it's the groomer have her file them. Nails on an adult should be done at least every month, on a puppy it is a good idea to do it weekly, but it also depends on how fast they grow. Madchen's have to be done weekly but I know other puppies that can go longer inbetween trims.

Old 14th October 2002, 01:54 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally posted by rumsgirl
Nails on an adult should be done at least every month,
If we only trimmed once a month we'd have lots of nails clicking on the floors...can't stand that sound. Each time I hear click, click, click as they walk across the floor I imagine their feet getting flatter and flatter!

Old 14th October 2002, 02:13 PM
Boxer Booster

harley's toenails are extremely short and make no contact with the floor whatsoever. but my newly redone hardwood floor still looks like it's 100 years old from him scratching it. I don't think it makes much difference how short you get their nails because when they run accross the floor at full speed and try to turn on a dime their nails will dig in regardless. personally I think you would do better to dog proof your floor. I would buy what is called gym seal, they use it to seal gym floors and believe me this stuff gets hard. I would put about 5 coats on my hardwood floors. other than that I have found that there is very little you can do to stop the scratching.

Old 14th October 2002, 03:29 PM
Boxer Booster

Unfortunately scratched floors come with owning a dog! We use a drummel to grind their nails down because I can make them round and smooth. Clippers tend to leave them jagged and sharp, but you could still file them with a pet emery to make them smoother.

Old 14th October 2002, 04:05 PM
Super Boxer

I HAVE AN IDEA!! okay if you got hardwood floors this is what my friends mum does to her dog.. she puts SOCKS on her dogs feet but they have grips at the bottom <she ether sows somethign grippy at the bottom of the sock or buyz grippy socks.. she usually uses baby socks> then while the dog is in the house she puts teh socks on... it takes a little bit of time for them to get used to it.. but eventually it wont bother ur dog so there yah go I HOPE THAT HELPS!

Old 14th October 2002, 05:38 PM
Boxer Booster

Alisha, I did say at least every month, it all depends on the individual dog. I know with my Chow I can do hers every 2 months and they don't touch the floor. Every dog is different. I also agree with Jaime, scratched floors is one of the downfall to being dog owners

Old 14th October 2002, 06:37 PM
OgieJacob

Wow we must be really lucky, we never have to trim our boxers nails, I just looked at them an they seem pretty short, keep in mind we take them for lots of walks an hikes, an guess this is what files them for us, we have hard wood in the kitchen an hall an baths, an they are fine no scratches at all really, I hear there clickings from time to time, but I guess my dogs are getting out too much maybe they need to sit around some, Not that im saying anyones dogs sit around, maybe I take them out too much, but they are my muscle when climbing, LOL, an my male, Jakob just loves to roller blade, up hill down hill, he is full throttle all the way, I guess this is what is working for us, the sanding or smoothing of the cement, or pavement, or the hiking,

Jakob, deaf white male
Ogie, the sweetest mama
an JJ the garbage can dog from hell!!!