Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 4th September 2002, 05:55 PM
Boxer Pal

Question Do Boxers Like WATER????

HI-
I'm wondering if any of your Boxers like Water, River, Lake etc...
Can you let me know-??? We just bought a boxer and He's white being delivered from KS. I've heard they don't like water at all.
Sponsored Links

Old 4th September 2002, 06:11 PM
Boxer Insane

It really depends on the dog -- if you want him to be a water dog, introduce him to water early on and encourage him to swim with you. They don't swim as naturally as some breeds and need practice, but many boxers turn into swimming fools when they are given the chance. Mine prefers the shore, though!

Old 4th September 2002, 06:38 PM
Crafty Moderator

Not only does it depend on the dog, but the situation. George had to have an umbrella to go “poo” at age 2 months………by a year he loves water………rain……showers…baths…if he can get wet he loves it.

Old 4th September 2002, 07:55 PM
Boxer Booster

i agree

patrick loves water, as long as we are not "forcing" him to be in it, but he loves to bite at it and chase it and play in it. which is fine with me. i haven't taken him anywhere that he can swim since he was about ten weeks old or so......but hopefully he will like it. good luck with your baby and swimming, obediance, POTTY TRAINING (one of the most difficult things to deal with). and all of the other joys that come along with boxers

Old 4th September 2002, 08:45 PM
Super Boxer

I agree that it really depends on the dog. Our first Boxer loved the water and went into the Chesapeake Bay every day for a dip. He wasn't a great swimmer, though, and never went out too far. However, the Boxer we have now absolutely loathes the swimming pool or any other "body" of water. . .but he adores running around in the rain. Go figure!

If you go the search button (near the top of the screen to your right) and enter "swimming Boxers" you should come up with a lot of answers to your question. There was a thread on this topic not too long ago and it amazed me how different all these Boxers are ~ some are swimming fanatics and others (like mine) are sinkers. Good luck with your new puppy!
Jake ~ Yellow Labrador born Sep 1998 (natural ears, otter tail!)
Winston ~ Plain Brindle Boxer waiting at the Bridge
Three beautiful skin kids ~ ages 4, 6, and 8!

Old 4th September 2002, 09:05 PM
Boxer Insane

My two love to play in the water. We take them in the boat to a sandbar called the "disappearing island", to the beach and they even love playing in the water from the garden hose. They do not swim though, they really have lead bottoms. But they run, play and lay in the surf all day long until their little nubby tails are pruney!
Minx & Blaze ~ you will always be loved & missed

Old 5th September 2002, 08:46 AM
Boxer Insane

The only water Austin likes is to drink! He won't go out in the rain, runs when he hears the bath running, (even if it's not for him) takes off when the hose comes out, and stays far away from the pool!
Megan 4 yr old brindle rescue

Old 5th September 2002, 08:53 AM
Boxer Booster

Duke love to play with the water from the garden hose. He could play with it for hours. He chases it around the yard biting at the spray. We tried to get him swimming in our friends pool but he seems a little scared of it. So we will try and see if he like to swim at the lake.

Old 5th September 2002, 11:53 AM
Boxer Booster

Thumbs down

Bella hates the water. We went to the lake a couple of weeks ago, and I was disappointed to see that she was very uncomfortable there. She didn't want to be anywhere near there! I am going to try the beach soon, and see how she responds.

Old 5th September 2002, 12:22 PM
Super Boxer

Lady didn't like the water at all in the beginning. SHe was a horrible swimmer, and like others, had a lead bottom. So, I ket trying. I think what helped the most, was her neing around other dogs that liked to swim.

She's a pro now. She'll stay in the pool all day long if I let her. We haven't tried anything like a Lake/pond yet, but I'm sure she'll do fine.

Like everything else, practice makes perfect. Keep trying, your pup will come into it at their own pace. In regards to the rain though, she's terrifies of it. Go figure
Come See My Gallery!
See Lady's Homepage Here!
Mitch- 3ft. long chocolate corn snake. wormicon

Old 5th September 2002, 01:18 PM
Super Boxer

I love these water posts :D

Only because i can brag about my swimming Dasia!! Dasia LOVES to swim, the first time she sank of course but popped back up and now swims like a fish!!

She swims at the river at the dog park and is will even retrieve lilly pads from ACROSS the river

She also loves the ocean...we took her to Cannon Beach and we had to have the leash on her because she wanted to go swimming...in the ocean! I thought that she would be wary of other waters but no she sees water and heads towards them. Bianca our little white one is getting used to the water idea she gradually had to be let in the water but she gets overwhelmed when playing with Dasia that she forgets she doesn't like water and plays in it with Dasia I think in time she will be a swimmer like her sissy.

Old 5th September 2002, 01:39 PM
MarleysMom

My two LOVE water! If I don't want them in the shower with me, I have to close the bathroom door.