Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 8th August 2002, 08:23 AM
Boxer Insane

Dog Wipes -v- Baby Wipes

Ok, knowing my male pup will prolly pee on himself, or do some other I-must-get-dirty-to-drive-eric-nuts things. Besides prices, what is the difference between baby wipes and dog wipes. I know dog lick themselves alot, and I was wondering how safe baby wipes where compared to dog wipes. Ingestion of the wipe residue is what has me worried.

I did a search, but it showed posters recommending the wipes, but not this safety issue I wish to resolve this before my boy is here in 8 days, so when in doubt ask the BW peoples.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links

Old 8th August 2002, 08:27 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Good question!

I wondered the same thing...Can't wait to see the responses!

Old 8th August 2002, 08:31 AM
Boxer Insane

DISCLAIMER: This is just my theory with no basis in fact!

I know that you are not suppose to use baby shampoo on dogs -- shampoos formulated for dogs are different because the skin pH is very different for dogs than it is for people. It seems to me that the same logic would apply to wipes, so I've chosen to use the wipes that are labeled for dogs. Also, the dogs wipes are bigger and thicker (at least the ones I've used), which makes it a lot easier to clean a dog. I would think something designed for a baby's behind would be a little small for cleaning a boxer.

Just my guess -- as I said, I have no facts on this!

Old 8th August 2002, 08:40 AM
Super Boxer

Well, to start, I can't see any company making baby wipes with *anything* that might be bad in them. Just think how many things babies put in their mouths in that split second you're not watching. I guess I'm not saying a baby is going to eat the baby wipes, but you never know where those little fingers will go and I can't see them using anything bad in them. Now I'm not a mom (except to my dogs) yet, but that would be my guess.

However, I bought a box a baby wipes (Huggies brand, I think) thinking they'd be much cheaper than the dog wipes. Unfortunately for me, the baby wipes got all dried out and that sort of defeats the purpose. I guess they think for babies you'll use a box a week or something. They just didn't stay moist like I thought they would.

So I just buy the doggy wipes. The ones I get are in a completely seal-able (is that a word??) pouch and they stay moist for months. Sure they may be a bit more $$ but at least they're damp when I need them.

Only 8 days left until Jedi comes home? You must be beside your self with impatience! Good Luck!

Tucker - born 01/27/01, classic fawn male, tail docked, natural ears, "fixed"
Kaia - born 10/9/01, flashy dark brindle female, tail docked, natural ears, "fixed"

Old 8th August 2002, 09:04 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I have used baby wipes on Kneesaa's paws...when she peed in her crate and then stepped in it...yucka... but that was b/c I didn't have any doggy wipes on me... I would probably suggest the doggy wipes just b/c they are bigger... hehe... I could only use one wipe per paw... about 10 wipes later she was clean... at that point I realized I might have well have just given her a bath...hehe

Old 8th August 2002, 09:25 AM
Super Boxer

I'm not an expert on this, either, but I would think the unscented (and preferably lanolin-free) baby wipes would be okay for a dog. I personally wouldn't worry so much about Jedi licking the residue as I would about some ingredient in the wipes being irritating to his skin (as the lanolin and scent were to my skin-babies skin). If you go for the baby-wipes, though, get the thick ones in the plastic tub, not the pouch. I think the wipes in the pouch dry out much quicker than the ones in the tub. A little water added will moisten them again, though. Can't wait to start hearing "Jedi" stories!
Jake ~ Yellow Labrador born Sep 1998 (natural ears, otter tail!)
Winston ~ Plain Brindle Boxer waiting at the Bridge
Three beautiful skin kids ~ ages 4, 6, and 8!

Old 8th August 2002, 09:42 AM
Boxer Pal

How about just using towels or washcloths, either damp or dry? You can even prep some in advance if you want damp ones. Wet them each morning and put in a plastic baggie so they are just as handy as wipes. Less waste into the garbage. And over the long run a whole lot cheaper. And no worries about extra stuff in them since it's just water.

Can't wait to get home--I'm EricJ's wife so I guess we'll be debating this issue tonight! (Hey--I'll even prep them each morning for you!)

AnnMarie

Old 8th August 2002, 09:49 AM
Boxer Insane

But the wipes have cleaning agents in them. So if you just dampen a washcloth all you are really doing is wiping them with a damp cloth as opposed to wiping them down with something that has a cleaning/deodorizing agent. I would think damp cloths would get musty in a plastic bag, I don't know I am guessing

I buy doggie wipes in a big tub and let me tell you I love them! They get packed in Rocks' doggie bag when he go places, good for wiping feet, doggie slobber off after playing, and for grabbing the stringies they have hanging out their rear I also use them to wipe Rocks down after he is done eating his soup bone. They are so handy I don't ever not have them

Old 8th August 2002, 10:26 AM
Boxer Pal

That's a good point. But, on the other hand, aren't we told to not use cleaning agents on our boxers for regular bathing? The only thing we've bought is a chamois cloth, as reccomended. And, when you think about it, dry cloth (i.e. toilet paper) is considered fine for humans.

Sealing the cloth in a bag for a day won't turn it musty. Sure, if you leave it forever it will. But a day or two should be fine.

AnnMarie

Old 8th August 2002, 10:26 AM
Boxer Booster

I gotta go with MOM3. I use Huggies hypoallergenic - scentless alcohol free.....no probs. Keep in a ziplock by the back door. Jagger had a little "dinky discharge" and the vet said baby wipes would be just fine.........that doggy wipes were essentially the same thing just more expensive. It's the perfumes and crap that irritate the skin. And Huggies brand cleans two paws per wipe on a rainy muddy day....that's two WHITE paws!
David (skinkid) aged 6
Jagger (furkid) White puppy-natural ears/docked tail

Old 8th August 2002, 10:27 AM
Boxer Insane

ACK, she found me!!!

LoL

Quote:
Originally posted by myrocky
But the wipes have cleaning agents in them. So if you just dampen a washcloth all you are really doing is wiping them with a damp cloth as opposed to wiping them down with something that has a cleaning/deodorizing agent. I would think damp cloths would get musty in a plastic bag, I don't know I am guessing
Woohoo, strengthening my arguement for tonight's discussion. Thanks MyRocky.

Old 8th August 2002, 10:27 AM
Boxer Insane

I use towels and wipes for different things -- I tend to just use towels for daily cleaning, drying his feet, and that sort of things. Even though Dallas usually squats to pee, he doesn't get it on himself, so I don't really need the cleaning agents on a daily basis. I like the wipes when he starts to smell or feel not so fresh and I don't want to give him a full bath - like after he's been playing with another dog and he's covered in slobber. I also like to take the when we go camping. I don't like to give him a full bath too often, so a full wipe down with the wipes really helps him stay clean and fresh longer in between baths.