Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 24th March 2002, 01:01 PM
Boxer Insane

Plant Eater

The other day I went out and left Diva inside (as it was such an awful windy and rainy day). I was gone for four hours . Diva is fine inside and I have never had any damage.

Anyway, I got home and everything was fine. A couple of hours later I was looking at the vase of sunflowers (my favourite flower) on the cabinet in the dining room. I looked and thought something is a bit odd here. Well, the front sunflower that was gently hanging over the front had no petals on the lower half! I scouted the floor thinking that they must have dropped off, but they were nowhere to be seen. I stepped closer to discover what is obviously boxer nail scratches on the top of the cabinet. I wasn't angry, as the cabinet is pretty old and scratched already (mind you I would have been had she pulled the crystal vase over!). I did have a good giggle though as I could just picture her with front legs up on the top of the cabinet and stretching for the petals and having a quiet nibble and thinking to herself "right, while Mum's out I'll just clean up those petals for her!"

Diva does seem to have a penchant for plants. There are no potted plants on my deck at the back of the house as "Diva the Destroyer" does not give them a fighting chance!

Old 24th March 2002, 01:23 PM
Boxer Insane

Isn't that just like a dog! they are so curious, just hope you dont have any plants that are poisonous to animals. My dogs have never touched any plants yet, Ozzy hasn't seen summer yet either. My cats (cat now) were always eating my cut flowers

"If you have your health, everything else is a bonus"

Old 24th March 2002, 01:40 PM
Boxer Insane

My husband is in the landscaping business so every summer our back yard has a "tropical" look. (nothing posionous) Austin tends to wander around and nibble at the leaves of the plants. Not that he doesn't get enough to eat or anything! And then there are the small pines-they all have brown marks across the middle where he pees on them!
Megan 4 yr old brindle rescue

Old 24th March 2002, 04:15 PM
Boxer Insane

The one plant that I like but can't have in our garden is the Michaelmas Daisy. We don't know why, but Sergeant loves the leaves. He grazes on them just like a horse eating grass . We first noticed it one year when one side of the stalks were bare, the side nearest the small fence! Then we caught him , it didn't matter that we told him not to , 'But Mum I like them' . It didn't seem to make him ill.
Our other Boxer that we used to have , Brenin, watched me plant a Sage Brush that I got from up north one year, I went inside and Brenin went straight up to the plant, pulled it out of the ground and raced around the garden with it in his mouth shaking his head from side to side; I put him inside and planted the poor thing again, we didn't let him out again for a while, but he went straight to the plant, pulled it up again and by the time he had finished with it, it was just a stick. I never did get another Sage Brush plant.
Why is it that they take to certain plants? Is it because they are like us, different plants attract different people/Boxers?

Old 24th March 2002, 04:29 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Location: Manitoba, Canada Where the mosquitoes are bigger than some small dogs
Helene that's sooo funny!! Isn't it just like a boxer to be so crazy? I can just picture your baby running around the yard with this big plant
Boz hasn't seen summer yet but I'm guessing I'm going to have to have a plant free yard as he ate our little shrub already after he dug most of it out of the snow
http://bozziewozzie.tripod.com/boztheboxer

Old 25th March 2002, 12:51 AM
Boxer Buddy

Helene, I can just picture your dog running around with a plant on its mouth. I thought our boxer is the only one who likes to terminate plants.

Living in a tropical country, we have so much plant around for our Nala to choose from. When I walk her on wooded areas, she ignores every plant except grasses which she likes to pull the leaves a chew a bit. In our yard, she loves ANY POTTED PLANT!

One time I planted some lemon grass (a kind of grass used for Asian cooking), she started with the leaves and then one at a time went for the stems. Another of her favorit e are our orchids. We have a small orchid collection before we brought Nala home, now those orchids are outside of the fence for their protection. And some orchids were given away to my sister. I really enjoyed raising those orchids, I guess our She Devil really does not want any competition for our attention.

Our American rose plant, even with its thorns suffered same fate...

NALA: female, fawn, docked, floppy ears, 08/19/01 - 03/29/12
STORM: female, brindle, docked, floppy ears, born 02/11/12

Old 25th March 2002, 07:38 AM
Boxer Booster

You NAME it Annie will EAT it.....

UGHHHHHHH - at least some of your boxers only NIBBLE! LOL, annie (who is 9 mths old) will eat ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING that even LOOKS like a plant! LOL, I've even caught her trying to gnaw on my FAKE TREE in the bedroom! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

My hubby "tried" to plant some tulip and iris bulbs outside - they're gone, she ate through the trunk of a small tree I had in the house, ummmmmmm what else, I know I could name more LOL

Between her and my cat (who chews on cut flowers) I can't have a single plant - even though I keep trying - I'm about as bright as the dog! LOL

Old 25th March 2002, 08:08 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Xena has a real taste for lilac bushes. We have them fenced off with chicken wire but now that she's grown up she can reach over it!

Dave let her out in the yard to play the other day and went out quietly to check on her - she had some branches in her mouth and was pulling with all her might on them trying to tear them off! Doing that full-body tug! He said, "Xena, what are you doing?" and she just froze and looked at him out of the corner of her eye. He took a step toward her and she just took off at light speed across the yard!! What a silly girl!

Guess I have to figure out another way to block off the bushes!
Forever missing Indy, Xena & Titus

Old 2nd June 2002, 06:52 PM
Super Boxer

I worry about Sammi. I've realizd that grazing in the grass can't harm her, but she also munches on alot of different plants. Researched it and came up with the following:

POISONOUS PLANTS IN THE YARD Common Name Latin Name Common Name Latin Name
Azalea Rhododendron Holly (fruit) Ilex
Black locust Robinia pseudoacacia Hyacinth (bulb) Hyacinthus
Carolina jessamine Gelsemium sempervirens Lantana Lantana
Christmas Rose Helleborus niger Larspur (annual delphinium) Consolida ambigua
Crocus Colchicum Lily-of-the-valley Convallaria majalis
Daffodil (Jonquil) Narcissus Monkshood Aconitum
Daphne Daphne Myoporum Myoporum
Deadly nightshade Atropa belladonna Oleander Nerium oleander
Delphinium, perennial Delphinium Oak Quercus
Elderberry Sambucus Tobacco Nicotina
Foxglove Digitalis Wisteria (seeds, pods) Wisteria
Goldenchain tree Labumum Yew Taxus

POISONOUS HOUSE PLANTS Common Name Latin Name Common Name Latin Name
Caladium Caladium bicolor Pothos Pothos
Dumb cane Dieffenbachia Mother-in-law's tongue
(bowstring hemp,snake plant)
Sanservia
Elephant Ear Philodendron Rosary pea (seeds) Arbus precatorius
Mistletoe (berries) Phoradendron serotinum

POISONOUS CROPS Apple Seeds
Eggplant Leaves
Potato Sprouts and Green Parts
Tomato Green Parts
Rhubarb Leaf Blades
Apricot, Cherry,
Peach & Plum
Leaves, Twigs & Seeds

POISONOUS WILD PLANTS Baneberry Marsh Marigold
Buttercup Nightshade
Castor Bean Skunk Cabbage
Hemlock (Marsh and "Poison") Western Poison Oak

It's not in the neat columns that I copied, but the names are available for your information.

Old 4th June 2002, 06:49 AM
Boxer Booster

Spraying and yards

To ZWINK------ You might try putting a tarp over your fence in the area in which your neighbor plans on spraying, that would catch the over spray. I agree with you on not wanting chemicals used around our dogs.......Hopefully you received this in time. Cindy
You are not saving the puppy at the pet store, your supporting mills,and the stores who buy them!---- PATTON-Canadian Champion PARKER-Canadian Champ. TANNER-flashy fawn TORIE-flashy brindle PAIGE-flashy brindle MORGAN-CANADIAN CHAMPION- flashy fawn PEBBLES-flashy brindle-grandma Tillie-harlq Great Dane GIZMO-longhair chihuahua 3cats,3 horses,and a senegal bird

Old 5th June 2002, 11:15 PM
Boxer Insane

A few weeks ago Harley escaped over the gate while I was at work & dug up a plant I have on my window seat. How he got to it I'll never know.

Last night I came home from work to find my bamboo plants chewed up along with a little extra something for me. I don't guess the bamboo will hurt him as he's ok today.

Harley also likes to pick at the grass. He doesn't eat it but just pulls at it & spits it to the side. Crazy dog

Shannon