Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 24th December 2001, 09:50 AM
Super Boxer

Talking Baby Teeth??

Hi gang,
Just curious to know when your babies lost all of their baby teeth? Cola is 10 months old and still has baby teeth and they don't seem like they are going anywhere. They are the two in the middle lower tray and a couple on the top sides, her canines or fangs have come in fine ~ is this normal or should I get them pulled?

Cola ~ fawn with black mask docked tail and natural ears d/o/b:feb 23rd, 2001 ~ mommy's girl
Sponsored Links

Old 24th December 2001, 10:17 AM
Super Boxer

Clarice is 6 months and I thought all of her baby teeth were gone. I guess I need to take a look! I did read that they will have another teething stage at 8 months, but I thought it just meant that some big molars will grow in.

Old 24th December 2001, 05:41 PM
Boxer Buddy

We just had a vet visit for our 14 week old and the vet told me it looks like he may need some baby teeth pulled, as it looks like he may be retaining them. I think she said they may get in the way of the adult teeth. They recommended pulling any retained baby teeth when he is nutered at 6 months. He has even broken one of his baby teeth, and I will need to watch that to make sure it doesn't get infected. The vet said that is not uncommon. Our girl lost all of her baby teeth before 6 months.
Patches - the cat

Old 26th December 2001, 10:06 PM
Boxer Insane

Blaze is 4 months old and I am finding his baby teeth all over the house...it is so cute! I opened his mouth and there is just gum where his top canine used to be!
Minx & Blaze ~ you will always be loved & missed

Old 27th December 2001, 02:24 AM
Boxer Expert

No it's not normal, pups should lose all their baby teeth by approx 4 or 5 months. Give or take a few weeks either side

But be sure they are baby teeth before having them removed. The 2 lower incisors you describe are very commonly small in boxers especially when they are close together.

MC

Old 27th December 2001, 02:26 AM
Boxer Booster

Baby teeth...

My Jackson's are all about gone at 5mnths..Its quite funny, unlike
WAT, I would never see any of them fall out, but I desperatly wanted to keep one. I had my eye on one of his top teeth for about a week and it was so stubborn, it stayed there for over a week even though it was so loose, I even tried to wiggle it a bit and it still wouldnt budge So I just gave up, and then one night with a cuddle from Jackson, I found it on my shoulder

Old 27th December 2001, 12:51 PM
Super Boxer

I wondered when Mickey would begin to lose his, I haven't found any teeth but his breath smells like blood and I thought he might be losing his baby teeth. I know now to look for them around the house before the vacuum gets them!

Old 9th January 2002, 09:52 PM
Boxer Buddy

hmm

I was wundering why Chesters mouth was bleeding so bad when he chewed on stuff. I have not found any of his teeth, but there are places in his mouth where there should be teeth.
Dakota-4 year old purebred Yellow Lab..

Old 10th January 2002, 06:13 AM
Super Boxer

Cookie lost hers at about 4 mo. The easiest way to find missing puppy teeth is to walk around the house barefoot. It seemed like we found all of Cookie's on our stairs, and always in the dark

Old 10th January 2002, 03:53 PM
Super Boxer

Amazing!!

Today in my GI Physiology lab, we had a clinical lecture on canine and feline dentistry. According to Dr. Craig Datz DVM, a small animal practitioner at the University of Missouri Veterinary Teaching Hospital, puppies start losing their teeth at 16-17 weeks of age, and should have all their permanent teeth at 25-26 weeks. Most medium to large breed dogs follow this schedule fairly reliably and age can be estimated this way in the event you don't know your puppy's birthday. Smaller breed dogs tend to lag behind this schedule by a couple of weeks.

The approximate timeline is such:
* The first teeth lost are usually the central incisors. Permanent teeth erupt fully within a few days. This normally occurs at 16-17 weeks of age.

*The next teeth are the second and third incisors at about 17-20 weeks. A puppy with all permanent incisors but baby canines will be approximately 4.5 to 5 months old.

*The baby canine teeth are generally gone by 5 months (21-22 weeks) and the permanent canines take 3-4 weeks to fully erupt. When they are fully in, the puppy is 6 months old.

*The premolars and molars have no regular pattern of loss and replacement, they come in randomly between 16-26 weeks.

Old 10th January 2002, 06:16 PM
Super Boxer

Atlas' were all gone by 5 months
Brock, Brindle Male, 23-07-11

Old 11th January 2002, 10:11 AM
Super Boxer

Well I guess my baby just has little teeth