Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 19th June 2012, 01:09 PM
Boxer Booster

Is DNA testing really a legitimate way to determine breeding?

Hey folks,

I've seen some references to DNA testing, here and other places online, as a way to determine if your dog is truly a purebred. I have always been highly skeptical of such claims. To me it has always just kinda seemed like a way to extract $100 from unsuspecting pet owners, but I freely admit that I don't truly know, or have any evidence to back that up - just my gut instinct.

Does anyone here know if it is actually reliable?

The reason I ask is that while my 9.5 year old girl is no-doubt 100% Boxer, but my wife and I adopted a 4 month old mixed breed puppy "Eggs," 3 months ago and have been wondering about his breeding. The rescue told us that they think he's a Great Dane/American Bulldog mix, but they don't really know since he came to them as a stray. Eggs is a big boy (68 pounds at 7 months), but I don't think that's quite big enough relative to how I would think an Dane/American Bulldog mix would grow. I would think that a full grown male Dane/American bulldog mix would end up in the 110 to 120 pound range, but I think our boy is more likely to end up in the 90 pound range based on his current age, height and weight.

After doing some research, I am actually pretty convinced that he is a Dogo Argentino mix, possibly with American Bulldog. Anyway, I've been wanting to try DNA testing, but as I said, I don't have much confidence in it. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

Also, just for fun, here are some pics of Eggs. He's between 4 and 5 months in all of the pics below:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...pez/photo4.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ez/photo31.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ez/photo21.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...pez/photo2.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ez/photo11.jpg

Eggs and the rest of the gang:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...pez/photo5.jpg
Sponsored Links

Old 19th June 2012, 01:16 PM
Boxer Insane

No offense intended, but what would it matter? He's yours and you love him, right? Would knowing what he is really change anything?

Old 19th June 2012, 01:22 PM
Boxer Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDogs View Post
No offense intended, but what would it matter? He's yours and you love him, right? Would knowing what he is really change anything?
No offense taken at all. You're absolutely right, it totally doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It's really a matter of personal curiosity. If the DNA testing procedures are accurate, it would be worth it to me to spend the $100 or whatever to satisfy my curiosity, but if it's really just a novelty, I don't want to waste the money.

Old 19th June 2012, 01:54 PM
Super Boxer

Are you questioning the labs doing the job or dna testing itself? $100 isn't the end of the world in most cases and if you're curious... I've been curious.

Old 19th June 2012, 02:15 PM
Boxer Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoraBoxer View Post
Are you questioning the labs doing the job or dna testing itself? $100 isn't the end of the world in most cases and if you're curious... I've been curious.
I am questioning whether the process can actually determine the breed(s) of a given dog. In other words, is it accurate? How accurate? What's the error rate? What criteria defines the differences from dog to dog? Are they simply making a best guess based on the similarity of DNA sequencing relative to a database of breeds? Is there one genetic marker that differs slightly from breed to breed, or several? Who is analyzing the data - a trained geneticist, or a guy in a cubicle who had a day or so of training to learn to read the results?

Basically, I am wondering just how "scientific" the allegedly scientific process of determining dog breeds based on DNA, really is.

Old 19th June 2012, 02:38 PM
Boxer Insane

This site Dog DNA Test Doggie DNA Testing and Mixed Breed Canine DNA Testing For Dogs - Dog-DNA.com has the most info about the "scientific stuff" I have seen. The cost is also $59.95.
It's my understanding that a Boxer was used as the first official DNA "sample"!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cami For This Useful Post:
gefitlepez (19th June 2012)

Old 19th June 2012, 07:18 PM
Boxer Insane

I don't think they're totally accurate, I've seen some pretty wacky results turn up, also inaccuracies in cases where the people KNOW what the dog is mixed with (but do the test just for fun).

Generally I think they DO get the predominant breed(s) correct, so if you do decide to do it I don't think it'll be a total letdown. But if it says he's 2% chihuahua, I'd probably disregard that.
The Following User Says Thank You to whiskers For This Useful Post:
gefitlepez (24th June 2012)

Old 19th June 2012, 08:32 PM
Boxer Insane

Regardless of what breed/s Eggs is, he is adorable
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizzie For This Useful Post:
Gatorblu (19th June 2012), gefitlepez (22nd June 2012)

Old 19th June 2012, 08:50 PM
Boxer Insane

I've never done it, but have talked to a few people who have. Most were very happy with their results. I can only think of one that questioned it. There was one odd 5% in there that just didn't seem right.

I agree with Lizzie, what ever breeds make up Eggs, he is 100% adorable! I love the name too!
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13
The Following User Says Thank You to Gatorblu For This Useful Post:
gefitlepez (22nd June 2012)

Old 19th June 2012, 11:26 PM
Boxer Pal

IF you can wast that ammount of money go for it =P

Possible have some Dogo Argentino there?

Is cute =)
The Following User Says Thank You to arcejs For This Useful Post:
gefitlepez (22nd June 2012)

Old 20th June 2012, 06:26 AM
Boxer Insane

Ive done the test on 3 of my dogs. Was impressed with all of them. One of them, really gave me some insight on his breed and the behaviors that I have questioned. He is the viszla/besenji mix with really odd quirky behaviors. Like he can jump straight up and sit on a window ledge without a wobble and his nails are really oddly growing out of the top of his toes - both viszla traits. His loud, obnoxious, whiney-screaching half-barks - part of the besenji's ability to not bark, but yoddle. Found that the behaviors were part of his breeds makeup. So, wether or not it's accurate, it sure helped me understand my dogs better. Plus, the 3 dogs were labled pit bulls when I rescued them. So I had to have some documentation of their breeds for my home owners insurance dog rider. None of the 3 were actual American Pit Bull Terriers - one was a viszla/besenji mix (always doubted the pit label), one was staffordshire bull terrier and the last was staffordshire/boxer. Since my insurance isn't really educated on what breeds make up the "pit bull" group, I didn't have to pay extra for having a "dangerous" breed. LOL Idiots! Just goes to show how BSL really is a waste of time and tax payers money.

Old 20th June 2012, 07:56 AM
Boxer Pal

Cool looking dog Not sure how accurate those tests can be but im sure it matters who you go through. Just like anything else in life you just have to find one that is reputable.