Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 8th March 2012, 03:36 PM
Boxer Insane

This made me so made

Most evenings Diva and I go to the dog park and she just loves it. She is off leash, and does a very slow walk/plod with some trotting and excitement when she sees some of her 'buddies'. Diva is very good with all of the dogs - small and large. I do keep a close eye on her and other females of a strong-willed nature as Diva is very much has the attitude that she is in charge (always has done). The owners that come to this dog park are quite social, but it's not 'clicky' which is great.

Anyway, last night two dogs came up nose to nose to Diva and started growling and then snarly teeth came out. Diva came away with me and then this guy started YELLING at me "why did you do that - they would have sorted it out blah blah blah". I said to him, this girl is nearly 13 years of age and has multiple health issues and your two dogs are acting as a pack and growling and snarling at her. He then started on at me again saying why do you bring her to the park if she has so many 'issues'! I said to him, because she enjoys it and because I should be able to and not come across idiots like you!!! I then said (was very proud of myself for doing this btw!) just said to him "I am not getting into this with you, I suggest you just carry on and keep your dogs away from mine". With that I walked away. I seriously wanted to punch the idiot's lights out. Arrghhhhh

Sorry this is a bit long, but man I was and still am so p*****d. Some people are just plain stupid

Btw - most important thing - Diva is fine
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizzie For This Useful Post:
CrazyCharlie (10th March 2012), LILYLARUE (9th March 2012)
Sponsored Links

Old 8th March 2012, 03:56 PM
Super Boxer

You could have told him that Diva has just as much right to be in the park with her "issues" as he does with all of his! IMO, you handled the situation beautifully. I'm not sure I could have been so tactful.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

Old 8th March 2012, 03:57 PM
Boxer Insane

I think you handled it quite well! I am sure you did better than I would have done. It is because of people like him and his ill-mannered dogs that I don't go to dog parks anymore. Arabella had two incidents within in weeks of each other. Both times the owner of the other dogs were clear across the park and not even paying attention to their dogs leaving only me to break things up. Both times I broke things up and was walking my dogs away when the dogs came back at us. Needless to say we have not been back to that park. I have tried others, but now Arabella is a bit too fearful and they are all out of the question for her. I have taken Thor on his own from time to time, and he always enjoyed himself.
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 8th March 2012, 07:47 PM
Boxer Buddy

Good for you! I liked how you followed your intuition and walked away from the incident... I don't think it would've been worth it if you would've let them "figure it out" and something bad were to happen. I stopped taking Deja to Dog parks primarily because of the neglectful and irresponsible owners.

Deja - fawn and white female, born on 05/25/2011

Old 9th March 2012, 07:11 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
why did you do that - they would have sorted it out blah blah blah".
He is right. They probably would have sorted it out but at what cost? They might have sorted it out by fighting! He had no idea what the outcome would have been had you allowed things to continue. I think you handled the situation beautifully and better than I would. Kudos to you for keeping a level head (even though I know you were peeved). That owner, like so many others give dog parks a bad rap and the dogs in turn suffer for it.
Glad your girl walked away unscathed.

Old 9th March 2012, 11:35 AM
Boxer Insane

You did beautifully! Much better than I would have, that's for sure.

These types of dog owners make me think if they raise their kids to be bullies in the playground. The types of parents that tell their kids "give them a good shot and they'll stop picking on you". Urghhh.

Wonder how many times his dogs "had to work it out" and how the other dog faired. I bet one good ER bill he had to pay would change his way of thinking. Or he'd be the type to blame the other dog and make them sue for damages.

Old 9th March 2012, 12:19 PM
Super Boxer

You obviously handled the situation much more maturely than the other person! When two dogs that live together start snarling/growling at another dog, the pack mentality definitely takes over. You were wise to make your exit!
Sunny: 8 year old cream toy poodle

Old 9th March 2012, 05:07 PM
Boxer Buddy

Man, we were really looking forward to the dog parks after their last shots in a couple of weeks! Not sounding so good anymore. You did real good, Lizzie. Our problem would not be so much the dogs, but ME in that situation.LOL Seriously, I have never been one to really be able put up with too much jaw jacking from a low life or bully type. We had to actually stop going to bars or clubs a long time ago because there was always that 'one guy' who was just asking for a lesson. My problem is, I enjoy teaching, if you know what I mean. But... life is better, now that we just avoid the situations, such as you did. And thanks for this lesson, also. It is just a shame that the good owner's dogs have to miss out on a good time because of one idiot.

Old 10th March 2012, 09:34 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

You handled this WAY better than I would have. Of course Charlie is only 3 but he only gets into as a last resort. I'm sure I probably would have been in this guys face.. I'm a little over protective when it comes to my babies. Although I know Charlie can hold his own, I rather it not come to that. You did great and I'm glad Diva ia just fine!