Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd November 2001, 03:36 PM
Boxer Pal

Question digging holes

is there any way to stop a boxer from digging? my dog has dug holes all over the back yard and nothing ive done has seen to help. does anybody have any ideas? they would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links

Old 3rd November 2001, 05:06 PM
Boxer Booster

My boys always seem to go back to the same holes to continue digging. I sprinkled red pepper in the holes and they haven't dug any new holes since. I put a lot down, enough to turn the hole a redish color.

Brody--6/99 Male neutered. Very handsome brindle.
Bosco--9/00 Male boxer mix. Adopted through Northeastern Boxer Rescue

Old 3rd November 2001, 05:37 PM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy digging and other bad behavior

I have a problem with my dog, Bandit digging holes, too. I have had several dogs, (including 3 other boxers) and I have never had one dig so much. Bandit is almost 11 months old and gets into everything!!!!! (I will try the red pepper in the holes, though) He has dug up azalea bushes, he eats branches off of my rose bushes, digs many, many holes. He ate a sago palm bush, too. His last few bad habits are unattaching my sattelite cable from the house and eating seats on lawnmowers.

He is an inside/outside dog. We have a little over an acre and it is fenced in for him. We had a doggie door, but he pulled the flap off of the doggie door. I don't know what to do with him. He is housebroken (we didn't use a crate, though.) He sleeps in my bedroom at night and is fine as long as the door is closed. He doesn't get into anything, but one night I figured I would leave the door open and he got into several things during the night. I just don't understand it.

Please write with any suggestions.

Thank you!

Old 3rd November 2001, 05:55 PM
Boxer Booster

Spencernubbins and Lori28
At the top of every page there is a "search" button click it and enter a keyword like"digging" or whatever you need help with. You should be able to find several threads to give you some ideas to try to stop this behavior.

Angie

Old 3rd November 2001, 07:04 PM
Boxer Insane

I wouldn't say that I have a problem with mine digging. It cracks me up when Leena runs to the patio door with a little pile of sand on top of her nose .They just have one side of the back yard designated just for that. They don't dig anywhere but on that side of the house. Dogs are den animals, therefore they are diggers. As noted in previous threads about digging, it would be a good idea to assign an area for digging, or give them a sand box. Good luck.

Old 3rd November 2001, 07:19 PM
Boxer Pal

Jessica - Hi! Your Leena has my birthday (a different year of course!)

How do you designate a certain part of the yard just for digging?

Thanks!

Old 3rd November 2001, 07:42 PM
Your Friendly Moderator

You need to supervise your dog outside until he knows that digging in the yard is unacceptable behavior. Teach him the "no digging" command and you should have no more problems. But don't expect the dog not to dig if not trained to do otherwise because it is a natural behavior. You have to teach the dog what he needs to know about digging.

A separate digging area is also very good. But do a search on this site for "digging" and you'll find lots of information on that problem.

Good luck.

Old 3rd November 2001, 09:40 PM
Boxer Insane

Lori, happy early birthday to you and Leena!

Anyway, as Dan has said, you must supervise your boxer until they know. A boxer left alone is a boxer getting into trouble, right. Yep, do a search on this.

Old 4th November 2001, 08:09 AM
Boxer Insane

Austin likes to dig in the kids' sandbox. Then I have to wipe his face when he comes in 'cuz his nose is full of sand!! A Boxer is like a kid-they have to be watched or the get in trouble!!
Megan 4 yr old brindle rescue

Old 4th November 2001, 05:14 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

When I went to pick Cooper up at the breeder on the day he was 8 weeks she had them outside. We walked by the fence and she said, "Looks like someone is trying to dig free" All of the pups came running up to us and there was Cooper with dirt on his nose! Busted!
Everytime he would dig a hole in my yard my hubby would place a large rock in it and fill it backup. He only had to do this a few times and Cooper stoped. I don't know how he knew to do that, but it worked! The first time he was doing it Cooper was right beside him watching and when Hubby started to fill it, Cooper started to dig it back out, as to say"Hello?! I just dug that!"

Old 4th November 2001, 08:30 PM
Boxer Insane

Minx used to dig like crazy! I had many suggestions from alot of people, my brother, this is really cruel and I never did it and never would. He said let them dig a hole, fill the hole up with water, and then stick the dogs head in it, completely submerged. They will not dig again for fear of drowning, whatever, that should tell you all something about my brother. Anyway the thing that worked for me was to put poopy in the holes that she dug. She would not go near them then. It really worked she does not dig at all anymore. She even tattled on the rescue dog we had for a few days. She came to the sliding glass door whining and looking like it wasn't me, let me in! Sure enough Maxx dug a huge hole by the gate, baaad dog!! Too funny!
Minx & Blaze ~ you will always be loved & missed

Old 4th November 2001, 09:14 PM
Super Boxer

I agree!

I also used poop to deter my girls from digging and it worked like a charm. I only had to do it twice and no more holes.