Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 19th February 2008, 04:46 PM
Boxer Insane

How to catch a scared dog?

I'm an old member of the board and haven't been on in ages - hello to anyone who happens to remember me.

I'm desperate for help and hoping someone has a suggestion. My parents adopted a boxer just this past weekend. Unfortunately he bolted out the front door yesterday evening. He is a very skittish, timid dog and hasn't even been in their home long enough to have built up a trust relationship with them, which is making catching him extremely difficult. They have spotted a few times, so at least they know he is still in the general area and so far not hurt, but he won't come close enough for them to catch him.

He's scared of the car, so trying to open the door and get him to hop in for a ride is not an option. He won't get close enough to be lured with treats. I just heard from my mom that she sees him and he's circling, so she's trying to just sit very still and quietly in hopes that he will approach her on his own - making any move toward him just sends him running away, of course.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for how we can get this poor, scared dog back home?

Old 19th February 2008, 04:58 PM
Boxer Booster

I wish I had advice for you, maybe the local animal control could help catch him? If the situation is explained, surely they wouldn't take him away. Is he being fed? Could they set out food for him? I'm sad for your parents and this scared boxer. I hope that there is a good resolution soon. Keep us posted.

Old 19th February 2008, 05:37 PM
Boxer Insane

How sad! Sounds like your Mom is on the right track just waiting for him to approach. I agree with the last post that perhaps animal control could help. I am sure they would not take him away if they knew the circumstances. Plese keep us posted on the poor pup

Old 19th February 2008, 06:22 PM
Boxer Insane

Have you consulted with the organization/people he was adopted from? Is there someone there he might have built a relationship with and might come to? Perpaps they could help.
Tyson - Rescured male - white, docked, floppy, 3/19/04 - 4/23/13

Old 19th February 2008, 06:50 PM
Boxer Booster

I would sit and wait like your mom is doing. When the pup realizes that he won't be hurt he will come closer. Be careful though because if her gets spooked when close he could bite to protect himself. If it takes to long though you may have to call animal control for his safety. Good Luck!! Let us know.

Old 19th February 2008, 06:53 PM
Super Boxer

What about another really friendly dog!! A dog catcher used this once with my friends boxer. She was running around for hours at a park in stratford ont. He could not catch her. Finally a dog catcher came and lured her in with a really friendly dog. Lucky for him he did not get charged.

Old 19th February 2008, 07:43 PM
Boxer Insane

Patience paid off! It took about 45 minutes of just sitting and waiting, but he finally got close enough to my mom for her to start throwing some food to him and then eventually eased his way close enough for her to grab his collar. Perhaps as it was getting darker and colder, he realized that going home to a unfamiliar house was still better than another cold, dark night alone.

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions. It's a such a relief to know that he will be safe and warm tonight, and we hope that each day will lead to him feeling more settled and comfortable in his new home.

Old 19th February 2008, 07:58 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Yaaaay! So, now they know they have an escape artist on their hands. How scary! Once he settles in and realizes he's been rescued, I'm sure he won't want to try that again

Old 19th February 2008, 08:14 PM
Boxer Booster

I'm so glad to hear the pup finally came home! Congrats to your mom for being so patient!

Old 19th February 2008, 10:36 PM
Boxer Insane

Glad to hear this poor scared boy is home safely,well done for being patient

Old 20th February 2008, 04:12 AM
Boxer Insane

glad to hear he is safe and warm
Maxi(Rotti) at the bridge

Old 20th February 2008, 06:22 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTbxrFan View Post
Patience paid off! It took about 45 minutes of just sitting and waiting, but he finally got close enough to my mom for her to start throwing some food to him and then eventually eased his way close enough for her to grab his collar. Perhaps as it was getting darker and colder, he realized that going home to a unfamiliar house was still better than another cold, dark night alone.

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions. It's a such a relief to know that he will be safe and warm tonight, and we hope that each day will lead to him feeling more settled and comfortable in his new home.
So glad to hear that they finally caught their pup. Your mom did a great job and he came to her willingly rather than her having to chase him down which is a really good thing and will hopefully help him to trust and bond with her more.