Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 17th November 2007, 05:59 PM
Boxer Insane

Leaf blower, rake, weed wacker, etc...

Ok, both my boxers are obsessed with the leaf blower ( I used it for the first time today), rake, broom, weed wacker, and even the wheels on the lawn mower. Izzy bites the vaccum too, and the carpet cleaner, but not all the time. If my neighbor is doing his weedwacker along the fence line on his side of the fence, my 2 goofs bark and it and try to bite it thru the fence. I have to go out and get them because I am afraid they will get hurt and get stuff in their eyes. I make Gus sit and watch (from afar), and he is fine. They like to bark at the broom and rake too, trying to bite it. They both attack the wheels of stuff too; lawn mower, cart (at the pet store), bike wheels. Today, I got my new leaf blower out. They had never seen one before. Instead of being afraid, they went nuts like they do with the other stuff. Gus was trying to bite the end off, even when it was running! They just kept barking and it was driving me crazy. There were goobers all over the end of the leaf blower. I was kinda mad at them, but at the same time, it was kinda funny too. I even turned it on high power, held it up in the air, and Gus put his face right in front of it (I did not hurt him, I would never hurt my babies), and it was too funny!!! He was barking, had his eyes close, and his flappy jowls were blowing open. It was hysterical. I wish I could have gotten a picture. So, they were both still barking and Gus was grabbing at it, and it got to a point where I could not stand their barking and I didn't want them to get hurt and I couldn't get anything done. So, I went inside, got Gus' leash (he was the worse, if I told Izzy "NO", she would stop), and when I finally caught him, I put it on him. I held him on his leash and he didn't bark at all. I made him sit sometimes, and got close to him, and he didn't bark or bite at it. I just want him to be able to be outside with me and not be a nut about everything. If he is off leash, he just goes back to the crazy stuff. I even had him sit in the middle of the yard and did a "down/stay" while on his leash, so I could grab him if I had to. It was so cute cause Izzy went and sat by him!!
So, I had a few questions. Do you think if I keep working with him, with the leash on, that he will one day not do it? Why do they do this, and is it a goofy boxer thing?
Hillbilly,Munchkin, Chloe, Mr. Cutie Pants, & CharlieBob~ kitties
Sponsored Links

Old 17th November 2007, 06:34 PM
Boxer Insane

Are you sure they are getting enough exercise? Sounds like too much pent up energy. Sometimes dogs will become obsessive or a little ocd if they are not challenged enough. Just my experience.

Old 17th November 2007, 06:55 PM
Boxer Insane

They get tons of exercise. They still act this way after a long walk, and after playing for hours in the yard together. They are not home alone for very long periods of time and they are always doing something. So, they do get plenty of exercise.

Old 17th November 2007, 07:12 PM
Boxer Insane

Waldo's favourite indoor play is attacking the vaccuum cleaner,I don't think it's because he doesn't get enough exercise.
He will stop when told to and stay,until I've finished then we'll have a play together

Old 17th November 2007, 11:03 PM
Boxer Buddy

Ares flips out over the rake and the vacuum too!!
It's like he is says 'How dare you move my things around with that contraption" !!
It's fun to watch

Old 18th November 2007, 06:54 AM
Boxer Insane

Two of my three love to "help" in the yard this way. I had to put them in the house so I could finish cleaning the leaves off the patio. And this was right after they had had a 30 minute walk.
Tyson - Rescured male - white, docked, floppy, 3/19/04 - 4/23/13

Old 19th November 2007, 05:38 AM
Boxer Booster

Sarge does that with vaccuum too. It's very, very funny - but it takes me three times as long to vaccuum now. LOL He gets so mad at it that he even gets the woo-woos while going nuts over it. Boxers are SO stinkin' funny sometimes.