Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 7th February 2007, 04:25 AM
Boxer Buddy

Question Anyone have a boxer with an extremely long tongue?

I have a boxer, dark brindle/flashy, named Hershey. He looks like no other boxer I have ever had! He is healthy but has a sever underbite. That is not the worst of it -- his tongue is too long for his mouth. When he sleeps his tongue hangs out 3-4 inches -- the end dries up like a potato chip. When he runs outside and gets hot sometimes his tongue hangs out the side and flops in the wind! I find him adorable. He is 1 1/2 years old and is just wonderful with my children -- aged 5 and twins that are 2. When I take him out in public he is a definate conversation piece. Anyway just wondering if anyone out there has a boxer with this "defect".
Sponsored Links

Old 7th February 2007, 07:57 AM
Boxer Insane

Re: Anyone have a boxer with an extremely long tongue?

Your boy sounds cute! And I would not call it a defect I would call it part of his charactar . But you reminded me of an old boxer boy I met years ago named Stanley. He was the sweetest thing and loved to "kiss" but he would DROWN you because he too had a tongue way too long for his mouth It was never completely all the way in which when he was sleeping made him look a little drunk He was a rescue that came from a horrible background and ended up in the most wonderful forever home-a great story-so when I think of long tongues I think of sweet old Stanley-maybe the long tongues are a sign of a special dog

Old 7th February 2007, 09:03 AM
Boxer Booster

Boxers are suppose to have underbites....as long as his tongue isnt causing him any health issues, i wouldnt worry too much...it just adds character.

Old 7th February 2007, 09:43 AM
Super Boxer

Moab's the same way! We joke and say he's part lizard b/c his tongue is so long. When he sleeps or is just lounging about, his tongue hangs out at least an inch, if not more. When he plays, its highly likely that it will end up hanging out one side of his mouth. Its just so funny to see him there, snoring, with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth.

Of course, its not always so funny when that long tongue swipes across your face from the side of the bed on a sleepy Saturday morning!
Sadie - my darling gentle souled kitty

Old 7th February 2007, 10:18 AM
Boxer Insane

LOL, this is interesting! Kirby is the same way, I would not say his sticks out as much as the others, but when he is sleeping, it sticks out a bit, looks like he is wasted!! I love it, he is such a cutie!! The under bite is a normal boxer trait, Kirby has a pretty good one!!

Old 7th February 2007, 11:07 AM
Boxer Insane

Lola's tongue doesn't stick out but boy when it comes out it's huge. We call it her comedy tongue, people can't get over how long it is

Old 7th February 2007, 11:27 AM
Boxer Pal

There is a boxer that is famous for his really long tongue. I can't for the life of me remember his name to search it but he made a lot of public appearances and had t-shirts and mugs with his picture on them for sale.
Gazelle Flashy Fawn RIP 10/05

Old 7th February 2007, 11:54 AM
Boxer Pal

Talking Re: Anyone have a boxer with an extremely long tongue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugnbox View Post
There is a boxer that is famous for his really long tongue. I can't for the life of me remember his name to search it but he made a lot of public appearances and had t-shirts and mugs with his picture on them for sale.

* The Boxer Dog With The Longest T-o-n-g-u-e!

A boxer dog called Brandy featured on Ripley’s 'Believe It Or Not' due to her incredible 17 inch long tongue! Brandy, from Michigan, USA, was bought from a local breeder in 1995 and her new owner was assured the dog would eventually grow into her l-o-n-g t-o-n-g-u-e! She didn’t and on television she was shown performing antics such as eating from a bowl 13 inches away. Her owner, John Scheid, says brandy likes sunbathing and even gets tan lines on her tongue, but says the beautiful Boxer is fit, happy and healthy, so her unique feature isn’t a problem at all. She even has her own web site at: www.tungdog.com

Old 7th February 2007, 12:34 PM
Boxer Buddy

Glad to hear my boxer isn't the only one with a long tongue. As for his underbite, I am aware that boxers are to have one but not as severe as Hershey's. His teeth are exposed when his tongue isn't in the way. By the way he is in no way bothered by his underbite or tongue. Thanks for the replys.

Old 7th February 2007, 01:04 PM
Boxer Insane

We need some pics!!

Old 7th February 2007, 03:18 PM
Boxer Insane

Our Nano has a really long tongue too. She also has a larger than normal under bite. Just like Hershey Nano’s tongue gets all dried out when she is sleeping. We find it endearing. She also always has a snaggletooth. Sometimes when she is digging or playing with a toy the tip of her tongue sticks out and it looks like she is trying really hard to concentrate. She has so many faces and it gives her lots of character.

Another “issue” with the long tongue is that you will think you’re at a safe distance when all of the sudden the lizard tongue is released and a lick of your ice cream is gone or you get a kiss across the face.

Boxers! You just gotta love them!!!

Old 7th February 2007, 04:00 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozersmommy View Post
How's this one? long enough for ya? I'd also like to add this is at 4 1/2 months old! LOL! http://www.boxerworld.com/photo/show...0/ppuser/42516
Okay-you have to send that into Bark Magazine for the smiling dog page-I have never seen a better one in there!!! Your baby wins!!!!