Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 29th December 2006, 03:37 PM
Boxer Pal

Re: My boxer-lab mix puppy may really be a boxer-pit mix! I could use some advice.

Thanks for all of your positive replies. Tater is a part of our family and we wouldn't give him up, but it makes me feel better to hear your stories. He will be seeing a new vet in a couple of weeks and I want to ask them what they think. I just don't want the label pitbull on any of his paperwork due to our home insurance. I guess that I am just scared due to the bad press and stories of pitbulls turning on children. I wouldn't say that my children are overly gentle or rough, probably just typical kids. My 15 month old son adores him and likes to lay down on top of him on his bed. Tater tolerates this really well. I guess time will tell as far as his true mix. At this time it is just the way his ears are standing that really makes him look like a pitbull. The other thing that concerns me is that everything I read states that pitbulls can't be trusted offleash or taken to dog parks. All of our family and friends have dogs and we love to go camping where the dogs can run around offleash. I guess that we'll just have to work extra hard with him. We are currently doing NILIF and it is going great. He'll start puppy classes next month some time.
Thanks again!!

Old 29th December 2006, 06:29 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Re: My boxer-lab mix puppy may really be a boxer-pit mix! I could use some advice.

Most pitbull owners will tell you that you shouldn't take your dog to the dog park for two reasons

1. if your dog gets into a fight with another dog weather yours started it or not - everyone says it is YOUR fault for bringing a viciouse blood thirsty beast to the park

2. Your dog may be friendly for 2-3 years with other dogs then "turn on" at maturity - NOT ON PEOPLE but towards other dogs and the Dog Agression comes out because they were bred for fighting other dogs so it does tend to spring up - not all pitbulls are like this but many are.

OR

your dog could be nice and another dog attacks him - makes a bad experience and THAT could turn on his D.A.

------------------------------------------------------
I have always had pitbulls in my life and they are wonderful dogs - they are generally great with young children that is why they used to be called "nanny dogs".

Socialize, train, socialize and more socializing - and don't spoil the dog, rules and boundries go hand in hand with being a responsible owner.

Just put on the paperwork "Lab mix"

and no they don't "turn for no reason" only about 1 in a million dogs actually do that.

Some people are just ignorant about basic dog behavior and don't see the signs - that is when bad things happen - and it happens with ALL breeds.

Good luck with your new puppy

Keela - American Pit Bull Terrier 02/18/06

Old 29th December 2006, 06:47 PM
Boxer Insane

As far as how taters ears are standing.... Boxer pups go through a WILD ear stage when they start teething. (Paytons did anyways...)
Heres just one of many threads about ears you can find on here- anyone ever massage the ears?

Good luck!
fawn, docked and floppy :)

Old 29th December 2006, 11:36 PM
Boxer Buddy

I too have a boxer/? mix dog. I got him as a puppy and when he started to grow I too began to notice that he had a pit bull appearance and became very nervous. I never wanted to own a pit bull either, and not because I don't think they are good dogs but just because I didn't want to deal with the "bad press" that comes along with them. I am fortunate to know 100% that his mother was a boxer and to have been able to meet her. And I have also been fortunate that Max has a lot of boxer qualities despite whatever he is mixed with. I get all kinds of reactions to him. I have people ask me if he is full boxer, full pit, and every varation in between. What you will find is that most people are going to make up their mind about what breed of dog he is regardless of what you tell them. I just politely say he is a boxer mix and leave it at that. And as a previous poster said, a lot of people confuse boxers with pit bulls anyway. I had one lady tell me at the dog park that he can't be part boxer and has to be part pit because boxers don't come in brindle (HA). So...my point being is that over time I think you will not be so concerned with what he may be mixed with. With proper socialization and training you can make him into the dog you want him to be. And if it is any consolation, now that Max is full grown I get people referring to him as a boxer an overwhelming majority of the time!! I have a couple of pics in my gallery you may want to check out, just to see what another boxer/? mix looks like.

Old 30th December 2006, 09:46 AM
Boxer Booster

I have two dogs. My youngest one is a 9 1/2 month old purebred boxer. My onther one is a 1 1/2 year old boxer mix named Winston. Winston's mom was a boxer and the dad may have been a pit, they aren't sure. Anyways, my Winston is the sweetest and most precious dog I have ever owned!!! I hope when it comes for his time to go to the bridge I can find another pit-mix just like him!!

You'll enjoy your little one no matter what he is!!

Old 30th December 2006, 10:45 AM
Boxer Insane

After reading this story I have to post my story. Ali's best buddy is a rottie/pit. My friend (his owner) bought him as a rottie/sheppard. About six months ago she found out that the father was a pit-bull and the owner didn't say at the time of purchase in case the pups wouldn't sell. Brooke is one of the sweetest dogs you could possibly own. He is not in the least aggressive and is very well behaved. He is 3 yrs. old now. Ali and him hit it off right from the start and have been soul mates for the past 2 years. My friend was annoyed at first that the owner didn't tell the truth but it makes no difference now. She wouldn't part with him for all the money in the world. So raise you puppy like you normally would and like all dog owners we have a responsibility for our pets whatever breed or size they are.

Old 30th December 2006, 11:03 AM
Boxer Insane

Talking Re: My boxer-lab mix puppy may really be a boxer-pit mix! I could use some advice.

When we got Zoe from the rescue, they let us know they suspected her to be boxer/pitt bull. By that time we had already fallen in love with her, so who could say no. We took her in without question because we have always felt pitt bulls were great dogs with (mostly) stupid owners. I really do not think she is anything but boxer. If you look in my gallery you can see what they suspected of being part pitt bull. Even if she is, she is still the best dog I could ask for. I agree with everyone here. Your dogs behavior will be based upon it's training and socialization. Good luck.
Catalina, adopted girl, 02/11/07, white, floppy,docked

Old 30th December 2006, 02:55 PM
Boxer Booster

When I was 3 my mom adopted a deaf pit bull, being hard of hearing herself she fell completely in love with the dog. I also had a 1 year old brother who did not understand doggie rules, I barely did myself. One afternoon my brother rudely pulled on her tail while she was sleeping and she woke up with a snap. My mom saw it, and also saw that it was only a startled response, but at the time she was starting to run a private daycare at our house and with 3-7 children under the age of 7 running around all day she could not responsibly keep an eye on everyone at once, she had just seen that 2 was difficult, so her friend took in the dog. I grew up around labs and pits and that is the closest thing I have heard to a bad pit story, the fact that she was a pit wasn't the complication factor, anyone who owns a deaf dog will tell you that you should not startle them awake. She put up with a lot with me when she was up and about, and was always gentle with me and I will never forget her. I would actually prefer if my next dog was a boxer/pit mix, you get the best of both that way.

Old 30th December 2006, 05:23 PM
Super Boxer

I think it's hard to know at this age if he is part pit or not. But even if he is, I don't think you have anything to worry about in regards to your kids. If you think about what pits have been bred for, it's aggression towards other dogs, not humans. Even during a dog fight, the owners will be in the ring with the dogs and reach in to break them up. These are dogs in full fighting mode and even then, they do not turn around and take a chunk out of any person. From everything that I have read, the vast majority of pit attacks towards humans have all been done by dogs that have been mistreated or kept improperly. Dog that have always been chained out, been completely unsocialized, have had aggressive behavior encouraged, are allowed to roam loose as a pack, etc. That's obviously not the case with your puppy.

I do believe that sometimes no matter what you do with a pit, they can still be dog-aggressive. That's what has been bred into them, and you just can't always get around that. Not that they all do, but the potential is there. Pits tend to get really fired up, really quickly and they have very, very strong jaws so they are capable of doing a lot in just one bite. Their jaws don't lock, they are just so powerful and it's hard to make them let go. IMO one of the best resources for pits is the Pit Bull Rescue Central site. It's a group dedicated to placing pits in forever homes, so they are very motivated to give all the accurate info. Some pit breed sites are extremely pro-pitbull and don't always give you an accurate picture.
Eli: 10 yr old beagle/basset

Old 31st December 2006, 11:09 AM
Super Boxer

Talking Re: My boxer-lab mix puppy may really be a boxer-pit mix! I could use some advice.

If he is part pit I dont think you should have anything to worry about Its how you raise any dog, He just might be a little more protective of your children Pits can be very loving pets when you have children or not, the just need training as with any dog! when my son was 4 or 5 I got my first Pit he was great with my son and with us, he licked to chew things up though! But he was a very good loyall freind to all of us because we loved him, we did not fight him or beat him or starve him, to make him mean. I dont think you should get rid of him, just love him.
And can I add that when I was a kid I was bitten by a boxer, but that hasn't detoured me from loving the breed, it just all depends on how you raise your baby!

Last edited by sargejimenez; 31st December 2006 at 11:12 AM.