Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL BOXER FORUMS > The Boxer Ring

The Boxer Ring Let's talk about boxers!

Closed Thread

Old 12th June 2006, 08:03 AM
Super Boxer

shedding, how do you stop it?

ok, both of my white boxers shed like crazy, and im curious what if anything i can do to stop or at least make it better, what is the best brush? and how often? right now about once a week i use one of them rubber mits with the nipples, also food, i right now am feeding them both diamond lamb and rice, i know its not the greatest but its also not the worst, the best food i can get around here is chicken soup, would that make much differnce? also rocky has some yellow patches around his face and the vet says its just his skin and to give him some derm caps and that will clear it up, she also said i should give it to both dogs and it will help stop sheding, also i was thinking about starting missing link again, would that do anything for shedding? is there anything more i can do will any of that stuff help much? i mean someone comes in the house and the dogs go by them and there allready covered in hair its reducilious.

thanks

Old 12th June 2006, 09:02 AM
Boxer Insane

Elvis has just gone through shedding his winter coat, it was crazy, in the morning he would up and leave a fur blanket behind.

I have been brushing him every evening in the garden but i dont know of anything that will stop it, its just a natural thing, but if anyone knows of something let me in on the secret.

Old 12th June 2006, 10:37 AM
Super Boxer

so would the derm caps and missing link do much or just the food?

Old 12th June 2006, 11:02 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

We give our Lab Missing Link and I seen a noticeable difference. I only have to sweep/swiffer the floors once a day now...instead of a half dozen times

Old 12th June 2006, 02:31 PM
Boxer Insane

I would most definitely give the Chicken Soup a try. It is made by the same company as Diamond, but is their premium food and is much better nutritionally. I actually include Chicken Soup in the food rotation for Killian and he does great on it and he loves the taste. I have used Missing Link and it does help, but the diet change would help tremendously.

Old 12th June 2006, 05:02 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Red face

I started giving my dogs a half tablespoon of ground flax with a couple of tablespoons of cottage cheese daily. They "blew their coats" --horrible shedding about 2 mos later. Now they have gorgeous shiney coats with very minimal shedding.

Old 15th June 2006, 07:55 AM
Super Boxer

Aspen has a different (thicker, less sleek) coat than mason and sheds much more. We ercently switched to chicken soup and are waiting patiently for some (hopeful) results. I brush them both about every night, I keep their grooming box right by the back door so when DH and I are sitting on the deck I just grab one and begin the brushing, then DH feels bad and brushes the other one ( I am not above guilt tripping the hubby LOL ) We have dark green carpeting, what a nightmare with a white shed monster.

Old 15th June 2006, 08:35 AM
Super Boxer

well they both have been getting the fish oil pill derm caps for about a week now and i ordered the chicken soup so hopfully that helps

Old 15th June 2006, 08:40 AM
Boxer Buddy

Shed Monster

I also have a white shed Monster. OH BOY DOES HE SHED! We have to vacumm every single day and while vaumming I know I empty the canister at least 3 times. And the back seat of my truck? gone. I forgot to put down a blanket that first time he rode in it and I'm still trying to get hair out. No one else will sit back there becuase they get fur on them, so we keep a lint roller in the truck, to clean yourself when you get out!
We have tried changing food, to science diet, but it upset his tummy. We were doing the 5 day mix in....(becuase we've had problems changing his diet before) anyways that third day was not pretty. Right now he juts eats purina dog chow, mature dog formula. We brush frequently, and it's funny cuz he'll be laying on the floor under my feet, and i'll start rubbing him, then when he gets up, there's a huge pile of fur on the floor!
The vet says he looks fine, and is healthy, and not to worry about the shedding but he won't put on any weight either. His previous owner said he had always been like that. I think we feed him about 4 cups of food twice a day, and he hasn't gained any weight. any ideas on how to change his food or get him tog ain weight?

Old 15th June 2006, 09:49 AM
Super Boxer

i think you could also use upgrading your food

Old 15th June 2006, 09:54 AM
Boxer Booster

Talking Ideal coat

I think boxers require very minimal coat maintenance if it is a healthy coat. By minimal I mean one good brushing per week. Mona has a fabulous, shiny coat. She gets many compliments on it! We feed her Canidae, that's it. I brush her once per week with a rubber brush, and that is all she needs. Don't get me wrong, she does shed. But it is very minimal. Maybe white boxers seem to shed more due to their white fur. It is more conspicuous!

Old 16th June 2006, 12:43 AM
Super Boxer

Kacie.. check out this link to give you some good info on foods
http://www.boxerworld.com/feeding/