Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Boxer Anatomy and Physiology

Closed Thread

Old 5th June 2001, 07:52 PM
Boxer Buddy

boxer teeth?

anyone know when/if dogs develop an adult set of teeth like people, or if they just continue to grow out? winston plays with our other dog (german shepherd+doberman=very big teeth) and he can hardly compete now. he's got a lot of growing to do, so hopefully he'll be somewhat of a match for her later.
it's funny to watch, she takes advantage of his being little, and he knows it. every now and then, he'll get really pissed and chase her around the house.
again, just wondering when their adult set of teeth grow in.
thanks,
jim

Old 6th June 2001, 06:32 AM
Boxer Booster

I'm no expert, but Davis started losing his "baby" teeth right after we got him (at a little over 4 months) and is still losing them now. It's funny, because I don't really remember finding JEB's teeth around the house (I guess he swallowed all of them), but I keep finding Davis' teeth - usually by stepping on them, and boy are they sharp!!! I'm pretty sure that the process goes on for a while (3 months or so??) and their "adult" teeth don't all come in at the same rate. So you may have a gummy boxer for a while! We're found that moistening Davis' kibble with a little water or broth seems to make it easier on his gums, as do icecubes and water-soaked & then frozen booda bones (those twisted ropey-looking toys). It sounds like Winston is at about the right age to start losing teeth, so keep an eye on him for any progress!

JEB (10/1/95-11/27/00) Waiting for us at the Bridge

Old 6th June 2001, 01:37 PM
Super Boxer

My little Riley will be four months tomorrow and we are just noticing her starting to lose some teeth. She doesn't seem to mind though as long as she can still gnaw on us with her remaining teeth she is okay.

Old 3rd July 2001, 11:25 AM
Boxer Booster

Just thought I'd give some info about dog's teeth...from a vet student's point of view.

Puppies have a total of 28 deciduous (milk) teeth. Although for the first 3 weeks of life, the puppy has no teeth, they all should erupt by 6 weeks of age. The tiny ones near the front are called incisors, of which they have 6 on top and 6 on bottom. The next teeth are the canines, of which they have one on each side on both top and bottom. Following those teeth are the premolars, of which they have 3 on each side on both top and bottom. They then have 2x(incisors 3/3 canines 1/1 and premolars 3/3)=28.

The permanent teeth should all have erupted by 6 months. Dogs have again 6 incisors on top and 6 on bottom. Also, a canine tooth surrounding the set of incisors on both top and bottom. They have 4 premolars on each side on top and bottom. Interestingly, dogs have 2 molars on each side on the top, and 3 on each side on the bottom. This gives them 2x(incisors 3/3 canines 1/1 premolars 4/4 and molars 2/3)=42. You may have heard of carnassial teeth. These are the largest teeth of the dog, good for shearing meat. They are the upper 4th premolar and the lower 1st molar.

This is the general formula for a dog. This may differ though depending upon the length of the dog's nose. It's very interesting to study the skulls of different breeds of dogs and see where their teeth are placed.

Old 5th July 2001, 04:08 PM
Boxer Booster

baby teeth

I agree with everyone on this, my dogs adult teeth came in around 6 months, however if you compare the size of a boxer's tooth to a doberman, the boxer teeth are smaller in size. comparing tooth size to any breed the same size as a boxer, the boxer tooth is a smaller size. does anyone have an explanation for the smaller teeth in boxer's? is it just breeding?

Old 6th July 2001, 06:54 AM
Boxer Insane

I can't say that I've ever compared tooth size between breeds....however comparing a Dobe to a Boxer I would certainly expect them to be different. For one thing, a Dobe is a bigger dog, but also their mouth is vastly different. Fitting the same number of teeth from a long, pointy Dobe mouth into a short, smushed Boxer mouth, you'd have to have smaller teeth. Otherwise, they'd chew their faces up all the time

Old 6th July 2001, 01:24 PM
Boxer Booster

tooth size

it must be breeding, I worked in a vet clinic and we did alot of dentals, and I noticed that the boxer teeth in general are smaller than other breeds, even a dachshund has bigger teeth (canines anyway) than a boxer. weird huh? I assume breeding for nice heads lead to smaller teeth, they paid more attention to the shape of the heads instead of looking at the size of their teeth. It just seems to me that for a "guard dog" which is what the boxer was originally bred for , they have very small teeth, but I guess the looks are intimidating enough, to those that don't know the breed. oh well, small teeth or not, I still love the breed. that is interesting to know that european boxers have larger teeth.