Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Boxer Anatomy and Physiology

Closed Thread

Old 2nd August 2005, 02:58 PM
Super Boxer

Question When do they stop growing?

At what age does a boxer usually reach full size? I know they stop growing taller at around a year, but when do they stop filling out?

Tucker is 11 months now and 70 lbs. He's huge (which is great, IMO...I've always liked big dogs) already, and I'm just wondering how big he'll get.

Also, what is the average weight of a full grown male?

Old 2nd August 2005, 03:08 PM
Elusive Moderator

Full height isn't usually reached until about 18 months - that's when the growth plates close. But by a year or so old, most dogs will be within an inch or so of the final height, they don't keep growing at the rate they did as baby puppies And most dogs will then continue to fill out until around 2-3 years old.

Not sure that an "average" weight is much use to you - there are plenty of over and undersized individuals around to really skew the stats on that. The boxer standard in many parts of the world does give a range though (and the US standard used to). The dog hasn't changed - so a correct adult male boxer should be between about 22-25 inches tall to the withers, and weigh around 65-75 lb.

You can view the standards from around the world (height and weight ranges included) at www.boxerworld.com/standards

Old 3rd August 2005, 06:32 AM
Super Boxer

Thanks for all the information!

Old 3rd August 2005, 06:58 PM
Boxer Booster

adult male boxer should be between about 22-25 inches tall to the withers, and weigh around 65-75 lb.

Where is the withers located? I have a petie female(9months and 41 pound) I would like to see if she is a short boxer but I do not know where to measure to.

Lola- Fawn female, docked tail, and natural ears, born 10.22.04

Old 3rd August 2005, 07:03 PM
Boxer Booster

how about their neck size, is that done growing pretty much by 12 months?

Old 4th August 2005, 04:43 AM
Boxer Insane

Claymont83: The withers is the point between the dog's shoulder blades, where the neck begins. Here's a pictorial: http://www.americanboxerclub.org/boxerst12.html
And the height range for an adult female is less than for a male - 21-23 inches. At nine months, your girl has quite a bit of growing time left though

Roxy's mama: No, they won't be done growing in any respect at 12 months. Most boxers will grow in height until around 18 months, and then continue to fill out until up to three years. Neck size is part of filling out, so you can expect changes until they're about 3 years old. Doesn't mean that the changes are necessarily large ones though - so if you get a collar at a year old with a bit of room for expansion, then it would probably still fit at age three (albeit a hole or two further along). LOL - not sure a single collar would actually last that long though.

Old 4th August 2005, 11:16 AM
Boxer Booster

thank you

I keep making myself put off the Swarovski collar for her and tell myself when she turns one to buy it, the one I have picked is very expensive and I don't want her to outgrow it! She is lab and boxer so I am not sure just how big she will get, our vet seems to think she will stay on the smaller side, 50-60# maybe.

Thanks again

Old 4th August 2005, 07:09 PM
Boxer Booster

Thnak you for the information on the withers. This site is so helpful and informative, I tell evey boxer owner and even non-boxer owners about it