Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Boxer Anatomy and Physiology

Closed Thread

Old 11th February 2005, 08:36 AM
Boxer Booster

Arrow Different Color Boxers

Describe the color of your boxer. I've owned 2 boxers I'd call brindle and fawn. But I'm wondering what everyone means by flashy fawn, reverse brindle, etc. Could someone explain the different colors or refer me to a thread. I've looked around here and put in a search and can't find a break down. I just know the basics: fawn, brindle, white. May be a silly question but it'll help me understand what your boxers look like. Educate me please.

GAGE: my sweet boxer baby
Sponsored Links

Old 11th February 2005, 08:43 AM
Boxer Insane

Well, if you read the boxer standard, you'll see that there are indeed two basic colours - brindle and fawn. Fawn comes in a range of shades, ranging from pale tan to red to a dark mahogany. Many standards describe the red colour as the most beautiful. For brindle, the fawn ground colour can be any of the fawn shades and the amount of striping can also vary. So a dog with very few stripes is usually known as a "light" brindle, while one with a very heavy concentration of stripes is variously called "dark", "reverse", or "seal" brindle (depending on which part of the world you're in). In between those two extremes are things like "golden" brindle, "red" brindle and "mahogany" brindle - but those terms relate more to the shade of fawn ground colour than to the amount of striping.

The correct terms are still fawn and brindle though

"flash" refers to the amount of white on a dog. A "classic" boxer is one with no white, or white confined to the toes and chest. A "flashy" or "semi-flashy" dog is one with white extending up the legs, on the face and possibly also the neck. Those white markings are due to having one copy of the white spotting gene. Dogs with two copies of that gene are completely or predominantly white.

Old 11th February 2005, 08:59 AM
Super Boxer

White marking question

Gus has a white spot on his chin (which makes his underbite oh so cute ). Would he still be considered "plain" or "classic," or would he be flashy? I'm guessing classic since he only has white on his chest, tummy and feet otherwise. Just inquiring as to whether the chin makes a difference.

Thanks!

Old 11th February 2005, 10:16 AM
Elusive Moderator

IMO Gus is classic

Just to save me writing it over again, take a look at this thread - it should explain things http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66837

Old 11th February 2005, 10:52 AM
Super Boxer

Talking Very informative!

Thanks for the link I love learning more about boxers!! I think I will have boxers forever!!

Old 18th February 2005, 02:21 PM
Boxer Booster

reverse brindle

Bella is a reverse brindle if that helps. She is darker than reg boxers. The breeder described it as her being a black dog with golden strips. Reg brindles are golden with black strips.

Hope that helps!

Steven and Marie

Old 31st March 2005, 03:06 PM
Boxer Buddy

Talking Flashy red fawn

Jake's daddy was a white boxer and his mom was a classic fawn boxer. Jake is a red fawn with a white spot on the back of his neck and a white strip down his snout. White socks and white underbelly. When we went to pick our puppy he had 8 brothers and sisters. Jake was the runt so to speak, he was much thinner that the others. I fell in love with his white spot. The rest were either complete rings around the neck or no rings at all. We've kept in touch with the family we got Jake from and he's turned out to be the largest of the litter he came from. He's even taller than his dad, and that was a big dog. Jake is so handsome. I've got to get some pics to show him off.

Old 31st March 2005, 04:06 PM
Super Boxer

Question White Boxer Dad?

JaketheSnake - Are you aware that breeding white boxers is against AKC registration rules; and against discussion on this board?

Old 31st March 2005, 04:11 PM
Boxer Buddy

Yes I am aware. The family that we got jake from they are not breeders. They just happened to have 2 boxers m and f that got together and had a family. We are not going to breed Jake, he's getting neutered next week. Jake is not registered, but loved deeply. Jakes mom was a rescued boxer. The owner was a cop who found her when he was on patrol and took her home with him. I know not to breed white boxers. Its not responsible, I won't be doing it ever. So don't worry about it. Just because Jake comes from a white daddy doesn't make him any less of a boxer.

Old 1st April 2005, 09:36 AM
Super Boxer

Didn't mean to offend

I'm sure your boy is precious... and I know that I would love Gus is both of his parents were purple! I just wanted to make sure that you knew before other people started jumping on the white boxer soapbox And, the more boxer people that are aware of unethical breeding practices, the less boxers will end up in shelters!!

Old 1st April 2005, 12:05 PM
Boxer Booster

Question

My Kit is a flashy reverse or flashy "dark" brindle if you want to check out the gallary. Although when we first got her she was almost completely black, and now she is getting more visible fawn stripes. The flash from the camera makes her stripes look lighter/more visible than they really are.

So we all know that breeding the white boxer is against AKC regulations... I know of dogs that have had white parents and they are registered... how is this possible?? Hopefully this question is OK.

Krysta

Old 1st April 2005, 03:03 PM
Super Boxer

Lightbulb Not exactly

While it's true that the AKC doesn't take care to ensure that registered dogs are well-bred; they do NOT allow white boxers to be registered, which means that white boxer parents' puppies may not be registered. If you know of AKC registered puppies that have white parents, the "breeder" somewhere along the line lied about the white boxers' markings.