Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Boxer Anatomy and Physiology

Closed Thread

Old 15th October 2004, 03:12 AM
Boxer Pal

Is this ridge on head normal?

http://www.feverish.net/yay/bea_ridge.jpg

My dog has had this boney ridge on her head since we've had her. Our other friends with boxers don't have this ridge. Is this a normal thing? It is midway down the skull and about 3/8 in tall by 1/2 in wide and 2 in long.

In this picture, she is 4 months old. She is 5 months old now.
Sponsored Links

Old 15th October 2004, 08:14 AM
BW Adviser

It is kind of hard to tell in the picture. But, if you are referring to the wrinkles on the top of the head?? Those are very normal. Nothing to worry about.

Old 15th October 2004, 08:47 AM
Boxer Booster

Nothing to worry about. Pretty much all boxer pup's have a conehead. It will flatten out as she grows. Some say that having the conehead means good breeding and a smart dog, but who knows? Dont worry though, it is perfectly normal, look at any pup's picture on this site and you'll see one. She's a very cute puppy.

Old 15th October 2004, 11:16 AM
Boxer Buddy

I call that Lily's smart knot.

Old 15th October 2004, 12:42 PM
Boxer Pal

thanks for the info. It is kinda hard to see from the picture. If this lasts into adulthood, does this disqualify them as a show dog? I'm interested in showing, but don't know a lot about it.

Old 15th October 2004, 02:30 PM
Boxer Booster

It will flatten out as she grows, my boys still have them but they are smaller now that they have grown up, I call it their "love/kiss spot" because I am always rubbing, scratching and kissing the top of their heads.

Your baby is absolutley a dream boat!!!

Slave to:
Cooper Andrew- Sexy, 6 yr old reverse brindle male
Arley James- Sexy, 2 yr old white male

Old 15th October 2004, 03:30 PM
BW Adviser

The peak or bump on the head is what you want in a puppy. I wasn't sure what you were referring to earlier. Most all of them smooth out as they matures. 90% of all pups have the peak and it tells you the pup will have a better head when all grown up.

Old 17th October 2004, 07:23 PM
Boxer Buddy

Bali was a "conehead" as a pup but it did flatten out as she got older.Like others have said it is usually looked as a good thing

Old 9th November 2004, 10:38 AM
Boxer Booster

Talking Cashew has one, too

Cashew, my almost 4 month old boxer baby has the same thing....in fact, when I clicked on the pic, I thought I WAS looking at a picture of her.......You have a very pretty pup. So I guess I do too..lol

My friends call the ridge a "knowledge bump"
Gotta love the puppy snores

Last edited by zzzina; 9th November 2004 at 10:40 AM. Reason: had to add

Old 9th November 2004, 12:13 PM
Boxer Booster

Talking Just posted

Asagray, I just posted a picture of Cashew in my gallery (waiting for approval) I wanted you to see how much they look alike, My hubby thought I was looking a pictures of Cashew. Where you had the red arrow, hubby asked "what's the red thing on Cashews head". LOL. I tried to get a photo in a similar pose, but it just didn't work out. Zina