Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Boxer Anatomy and Physiology

Closed Thread

Old 14th July 2003, 08:09 PM
Boxer Buddy

Puberty

First off, let me say that BoxerWorld is that absolute BEST of the net concerning available information pertaining to Boxers. I enjoy perusing its content, and appreciate the effort of its Administrators. Keep up the good work.

Puberty. I have a male who is almost six months old. I was wondering when will he start puberty? Also, is he likely to undergo a major growth spurt during this phase in his development? How long does it last? What physical changes will occur? Will changes in behavior occur as well? Is this really comparable to what occurs in humans during puberty? Will his bark get deeper?

Come on all you Boxer enthusiasts and experts! I love to read and soak up all your knowledge.

BingsDad
Sponsored Links

Old 15th July 2003, 03:11 AM
Boxer Insane

wow! so many questions I am not sure if I have all the answers but I am sure someone will.

Krose is 2 years old now and I think he is still going in puberty He is such a slow developer! But it all started when he was around 6-7 months or so, the first time he ever lifted his leg to pee but in the house on my couch!!!!!
That was the first signs of puberty Boy, was he rebellious! But that phase went away quickly.
As far as the physical changes go, his head became very wide for sure! His chest started to fill in but see, it is still filling in!! I have a very slow developer like I said
Oh, yes... He started barking more often than he used to. About his bark being deeper, I don't know because I never actually heard him bark before. Even if he did bark, it was one bark!
Don't be impatient though. Enjoy the puppy months because they sure grow fast

basak

Old 15th July 2003, 06:04 AM
Super Boxer

I'm no expert but I am always happy to share...Lady is an 8 month old girl. I am pretty sure she is an adolescent because she doesn't like to listen at all!!!!! She used to wag her tail when she saw me everytime but now she sneers at me (I swear, her lips curl with disgust like I did to my mom) and will just wag the stub when we have been apart for 1/2 an hour or so or we have woken up and haven't seen each other ALL NIGHT! (She sleeps on her doggy bed on the floor and I am in our people bed, which she doesn't agree with, but is too tall for her to climb into.)

I don't think that your dog will have a huge growth spurt. I mean, imagine if they started growing even faster! Lady's fastest growing seemed to be around 3-5 months. I have read that they grow a lot until about a year, and then it slows down drastically but their bodies continue to mature and fill out until they are 2-3 years old.

I don't know about puberty with male dogs. However I would assume the bark would continue to get deeper just because the dogs vocal chords are growing and the dog has a larger chest, but that this is a unisex thing. Lady almost never barks though I would also imagine that with increased testosterone levels your dog would be more prone to aggression, wandering, and marking.

Good Luck! - Mariah.

Old 15th July 2003, 07:09 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

http://www.boxerworld.com/puppy/education/

Old 16th July 2003, 03:07 PM
Boxer Buddy

Thanks for the replys. Thanks for the link, but it didn't address my question about puberty and further growth and develpment. So, if you or anyone else can add any insight, i'd like to know. Basically more concerned with addtional growth between 6-8 mos. My guy is comming up on six months and though weighs about 50lbs, he doesn't seem to be very tall - still has alot of knuckle at the pastern joint. His head still has a prominent oxiputal point. What are the physical changes that occur?

Old 17th July 2003, 02:05 AM
Boxer Insane

I think you are an impatient dad

That's how Baris was. He wanted Krose to become big and strong and look like a very confident and courageos Boxer very quick. But you know what, the more he wanted, the slower Krose started developing.
At 2 years old, Krose is 68.2 lbs, 31 kg. So at 6 months, he was thinner. He looked like a baby too. But some dogs, like some people get taller or bigger faster than their friends.
Krose's head flattened when he was about 13 months old or so. Or maybe became more wide and strong. It happened so fast but had to wait till he was 13 months! At that time, his shoulders all of a sudden became more muscular too. So we can say that 1 year was a big turn in Krose's life.
Just give Bing time. I know, sometimes it is very hard to wait for them to become the dogs we want them to be... but believe, that time actually comes earlier than you think

basak

Old 17th July 2003, 07:05 AM
Super Boxer

My guy has just turned 6 months and he too has the large paws and joints. Luke is shaped like a wedge right now, very wide deep chest, narrow hip. Some days his head still has a bit of a point, others it is not obvious. Puppies, like humans grow in phases. Up, then fill out a bit, then up again and fill out.
At this age I don't believe he will have another "major" spurt in height, but he'll still grow a bit. I believe that the biggest growth you'll notice will be filling out. But genetics play the largest part. How tall were the parents? How much did they weigh? Is he from a European line? That may lend different proportions.
You will notice the voice get deeper, as it already has I'm sure. His ears (if they're natural) will fall differently it seems day to day. Teething plays a part in that as they are still forming their adult teeth and they are setting into place.
There isn't a cookie cutter answer that applies to every Boxer. Some are late bloomers, some reach the peak quite fast.
I hope this helps a bit.

Old 17th July 2003, 08:45 PM
Boxer Buddy

Thank you, Tink. Yes, that makes sense. I was just wondering because his hind half seems bigger than his front half - not yet in direct proportion. Also, his forarms are rather large, then when get to the joint and "hands" they also seem disproportionate to his forearms. So, I'm supposing he will do more growing in his front half...I guess.

Best of luck with Luke.

Old 17th July 2003, 08:55 PM
Boxer Insane

Believe me his body will eventually catch up with itself My female, Diva grew very slowly all round - upwards and outwards and she took a good two to two and a half years to fully mature physically.

Monty, on the other hand has grown sporadically - all over the place As a pup of about 6 months old his feet were still huge and up until nearly 12 months old he would still fall over them! He grew upwards very quickly and now at 16 months he still looks lanky, but incredibly strong. He is going to be a long-legged tall boxer and hopefully he will fill out some.

At one one stage Monty had what looked like a sway back - I am not kidding - his back half was higher that his front half! As you can imagine he looked slightly odd, but it was just uneven growing patterns. I have to say though that there is one thing with Monty that is just magic to watch and that is the way he moves - even the breeder agreed that he has great movement, particularly when at a trotting pace.

Never fear you boy will get it into proportion eventually I'm sure.