Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Boxer Anatomy and Physiology

Closed Thread

Old 5th August 2002, 01:09 PM
Boxer Buddy

Can boxers jaws"lock"

Just trying to end an argument with 2 friends.I don't no the answer but 1 guy says that boxers,pits,and rotties can,and the other guy says that boxers can't.
Just wondering.

Old 5th August 2002, 01:15 PM
Boxer Insane

All I know for sure is that Pitbulls jaws "lock", most definitely. I don't think Boxers or Rotties have the inability to release a bite without locking the jaw first.

Old 5th August 2002, 01:38 PM
Boxer Insane

Really the lock jaw is a myth.......there was a thread posted not long ago about this topic:

Power of Boxer Jaws?

Old 5th August 2002, 02:27 PM
Boxer Pal

On the basis of boxers having the underbite / bulldog type bite compared with the rots regular dog bite I'd question it. I read somewhere that because of the type of bite boxers have (it was a boxer breed book but I dunno which) they can continue to breath through their mouth when biting down, whereas dogs with the traditional bite can not. It's possible that this ability somehow spawned the myth of locking jaws?

Then again, what kind of bite or jaw does a pit bull have?

Old 5th August 2002, 05:28 PM
Boxer Buddy

None of them do, or have anything different physiologically that would make them any different from the next breed in terms of "Lock Jaw". The Pit Bull "Lock Jaw" is a myth mostly because of there fearlessness and tenaciousness when engaged with another dog. A pit will not give up and usually will fight to the death almost as if the Jaws are "locked" on the subject. But then again the APBT is one of the most mis-understood animals IMO and don't believe everything you hear.

Old 5th August 2002, 07:57 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally posted by ivarious
I read somewhere that because of the type of bite boxers have (it was a boxer breed book but I dunno which) they can continue to breath through their mouth when biting down, whereas dogs with the traditional bite can not.
Actually, that's what the set back, turned up nose is for...to breath while "locked on" to something. While holding furry animals, other breeds with 'normal' snouts would have their noses burried in the fur. With a Boxers nose set further back and slightly turned up, it's out of furs way.

Another cool piece of info I read (although I've only read this in one place so don't know how true it is) was that the wrinkles that run along side a Boxers muzzle were intended to keep blood from getting in their eyes while holding the hunted animal. The blood would run down along the wrinkles instead.

From what I've read, everthing about a Boxer was 'put' there for a purpose...from their cat like paws to their cropped ears and docked tails, it all served a purpose!

Old 5th August 2002, 09:11 PM
Boxer Insane

They might not have lock jaws but have you ever seen two boxers fighting over the same toy? You couldn't pry a toy out of Tyra's slobbery mouth.

I buy Tyra and Elmo identical toys but they always seem to want the same one.

Gone but never forgotten: Tico, Elmo, and Tyra.

Old 6th August 2002, 11:01 AM
Boxer Insane

Boxers were certainly bred to grab and hang onto things (as others have pointed out, their heads were precisely designed to make it as easy as possible) but they do not "lock" (nor do any other dog jaws).

Breeders designed dogs that were best suited for the jobs they needed to do. Terriers needed to be small enough to go to ground and tough enough to go face to face with vicious vermin, hounds needed to be able to get along with large numbers of other dogs without dog aggression being an issue, etc.

The early breeders certainly looked for dogs with the courage to fly at a raging bull's head, the agility to avoid its hooves and horns and the strength and will to hold on once they got there, no matter what. So they selected for dogs with strong jaws and determination (and flews that funelled the blood away from their eyes and noses that could continue taking in air while the dog was clamped on its victim, etc).

At the other end of the spectrum they bred retrievers to have super soft mouths and carry birds back intact.

So while the boxer's design makes it "easier" for the dog to hold on in a fight, it doesn't do anything magical.

Old 23rd August 2003, 09:19 AM
Super Boxer

I realize this is a thread from a year ago, I was just wondering if anyone had any links to articles that support the fact that Boxers do not have locking jaws?
Iím having another Boxer argument with friends who insist their jaws do in fact lock

Thanks,
Andi

Old 23rd August 2003, 02:37 PM
Boxer Insane

I doubt there are any articles about Boxer jaws not locking, as it's not a very common argument (at least, not compared to the argument about pit bull jaws locking - those I have articles about).

Ask your friends for any articles supporting the fact that Boxers *do* have locking jaws!

Old 27th August 2003, 10:22 AM
Boxer Booster

I wonder where this rumor started, anyway? I live in a city where there are a lot of dog fighters, and as a result we get a lot of AmStaff type dogs. The adopters sometimes seem afraid of them, and their concerns are usually the following: one, the dog will turn on them for no reason, and two, if the dog bites another dog, they won't be able to release the dog because of the locking jaws. Needless to say, we have to hunt for homes for all those dogs. Happily, the right person comes for them eventually.

Old 27th August 2003, 02:35 PM
Super Boxer

From what Iíve heard, itís because you can lift Staffs up by whatever theyíre hanging on to with their jaws. I guess people think they do this because their jaws are locked and canít let go; like Chinese finger traps, the harder you pull the tighter they get.