Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Boxer Anatomy and Physiology

Closed Thread

Old 25th June 2002, 07:25 PM
Boxer Pal

Question Power of Boxer Jaws?

I seem to remeber hearing something about Boxer's having the 2nd most powerful bite (behind the pitbull , of course). Is this true? Just curious, but thought it would be interesting to know.
Sponsored Links

Old 30th June 2002, 07:23 AM
Boxer Pal

Boxer Jaws...Again.

Does anyone have an idea. I posted last week and no one responded. I'm not sure if my post is visible to you all or if no one knows the answer.

By the way, I took Hooch to the Dog Park for the 1st time yesterday and he had a ball.

Old 30th June 2002, 10:12 AM
Boxer Insane

I don't think it's ever been tested. I know that the myths about pit bull jaw strength are completely false.

Old 30th June 2002, 10:34 AM
Boxer Insane

I don't think pitbulls have that much greater jaw strength. I think the mechanics of their jaw allows it to lock into place, making it very difficult to force a release. I've also heard that once a pitbull gets hold of something, they tend to not release. Most dogs release and go back for another bite. I've seen pitbull puppies playing tug-of-war with a rope being swung in circles and love every minute of it. They can grab a rope hanging from a tree and hang for minutes. Once their jaw is locked into place, it requires minimal effort by the pitbull to keep it locked.

Old 30th June 2002, 11:03 AM
Boxer Insane

I think it's not so much "locking" as it is that, being terriers, they are quite tenacious.

Here are some truths behind the pit bull myths:
http://www.angelfire.com/nj2/training1/myths.html

Old 1st July 2002, 09:33 AM
Boxer Insane

After reading this thread last night I did a little bit of research on Pit Bulls...come to find out they don't actually lock thier jaws like I and many others have believed. What little research has been done on them has proved to show thier jaws are no different than any other dog. This site has lots of info on Pit Bulls http://www.nyx.net/~mbur/apbt.html and here is where the "locking jaws" myth is talked about http://www.nyx.net/~mbur/apbtfaqfaq.html#q1

If you think about it, a Boxer was bred to grab a hold and not let go which many would believe to be "locking their jaws". I've seen this too many times w/ Pru and Sheeba's fights as well...they both tend to go for each other's throats and once they get ahold, they don't let go no matter how much the other tries to shake them off.

Come to think of it, if I was to be bitten by a dog I'd prefer it be a breed that tends to bite once (even if they don't let go) then those out there that bite over and over and over before stopping.

Old 1st July 2002, 10:04 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Come to think of it, if I was to be bitten by a dog I'd prefer it be a breed that tends to bite once (even if they don't let go) then those out there that bite over and over and over before stopping.
I don't know - I think it's a toss-up for me. At least the dogs that bite over and over don't *crush* you so much!! (And I don't know about your girls, but when my boy grabs something he shakes the heck out of it!! NOT fun when it's your arm! )

Old 1st July 2002, 10:33 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally posted by JulieM

I don't know - I think it's a toss-up for me. At least the dogs that bite over and over don't *crush* you so much!! (And I don't know about your girls, but when my boy grabs something he shakes the heck out of it!! NOT fun when it's your arm! )
Good point...the shaking wouldn't be fun (ours LOVE to shake everything...I always say Pru has to "kill" her chicken before eating it ). Maybe just avoiding ALL dog bites would be best.

Old 10th July 2002, 08:01 AM
Boxer Insane

Ya I have to agree with Julie, at least you get a chance to get free and not shaken around. I've got a rottie and when he holds on to something there is not way in he-- that I can open his mouth! only with a treat of course

"If you have your health, everything else is a bonus"

Old 10th July 2002, 08:42 AM
Boxer Booster

I was bit by a German Wired-Hair Pointer/ part alligator(named Gretchen) as a child. And Gretchen wouldn't let go - she pulled one way and I pulled the other way. The adults finally had to spank her with a newspaper to get her to let go of my hand. I ended up with a few stiches in my hand, but no permanent damage. It was my grandfather's dog, and he said she was just in a bad mood that day. Unfortunately, she was always in a bad mood. She had already bitten everyone in the family by this point, so I wasn't allowed to pet her. I wasn't even touching the dog when she bit me. She was just walking past me in the kitchen. And you know something - this dog lived to be about 15. She finally had to be put down by injection. Even when she had no teeth she was still snappy, and trying to bite people. But my grandfather loved her to death, they even started looking like each other.
IMO it's not so much the "locked-jaw" I'd be afraid of, but by the intention the dog has behind the bite. Gretchen's bite was close to the bone, but didn't get to it. Although, if she had really wanted to do damage she could have.
Kasey - Weimaraner