Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Boxer Anatomy and Physiology

Closed Thread

Old 19th June 2002, 05:36 PM
Boxer Pal

When is it too late to crop and dock

My puppy is 4 months old now and I would like to dock his tail and I was wondering if it is too late...I really like his floppy ears but I think I would prefer them to be cropped...because although they look all cute now...I think that they look more clean cut cropped when they are adults....Is it too late??
Sherry
Sponsored Links

Old 19th June 2002, 05:52 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Unfortunately, your puppy is too old to have his tail docked. Docking must be done when they are a few days old. As far as the cropping is concerned, I believe that it must be done before they reach 12 weeks of age (3 months). Even if you could still crop the ears, I suggest that you do a great deal of research on aftercare, etc. because it certainly is no easy task. Some people and their dogs have had horrible experiences with the procedure and aftercare.

Cropping and now docking for that matter are illegal in some parts of the world AND both invoke some very heated discussions. Use this site to do a search on cropping for more information but as I said before, I believe it is too late.

Old 19th June 2002, 05:53 PM
Boxer Booster

As for the ears I think that 16 weeks is the farthest cut off. As for the tail, I got Princess' done at 3 1/2 months. It was awful! It took months to heal. Her stitches were ripped out and it looked so painful and it bothered her so much. I didn't ask anyone or do any research on it, I just assumed that it needed to be done to boxers. I was wrong! I spend tons of time deciding on the ears and did get them done, but have discovered that I like the floppy look better after getting to know a boxer traits better.
Good luck!

Connie
Pugslee born 4/7/00 the pug dog

Old 19th June 2002, 06:23 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Just some follow-up on my first post. I located one of our Boxer books...this one is written by Stephanie Abraham. She says, "ears are cropped most commonly when the puppy is between six and twelve weeks old." I'm certain that there are some vets who may do it later than that BUT should you choose to crop, I suggest getting pictures of other dogs ears that have been done and asking a whole lot of questions. Find out what the care involves, who will be expected to do it (most likely, you), etc. As far as the docking of tails is concerned, she says, "docking is carried out when puppies are only a few days old."

Granted, some people are going to give different time lines for these procedures to be carried out but this information is according to a woman who, along with her husband, has been breeding boxers since 1970. She also serves as a judge of the breed during competitions. She may even sit on the BOD of the ABC (this I haven't confirmed but remember hearing about it). This is just me, but I'd take her word for it.

I'm certain others will have something to say about this but, I believe, the consensus is for docking to be done within a few days of birth and for cropping to be done before 12 weeks. Whatever you do, please do some research via this site....there is a wealth of information at your fingertips.