Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Behavioral Issues

Behavioral Issues Why does he do that?

Closed Thread

Old 4th April 2005, 08:33 PM
Boxer Pal

How to handle the sassing and jumping?

I have a 5 month old boxer. If you get up and walk across the room she will start jumping on us and barking at you. She doesn't do it every time but it is becoming more and more frequent. I have tried just ignoring her and turning my back on her but she just follows me around and keeps jumping. I have tried going to a different room and shutting the door. Problem is she will go and pick on someone else then. Do they outgrow this stage? It is really becoming annoying. She knows the off command. She will get off..but about a minute later she is doing it again. She also sits and barks and growls while doing this. She seems to get quite sassy. It's also hard because she not only does it to me but my Husband and 3 kids. And telling them to ignore her does not work. Their getting scratched or knocked over...Any advice you can offer while she does this would help. Also should I be concerned with the barking and growling at us when she is doing this?
Sponsored Links

Old 5th April 2005, 05:37 PM
Boxer Buddy

I wouldn't be too worried. My boxer does the same thing. She just wants my attention. I also have tried to ignore her, but that doesn't work. I have been making her sit or obey a command so that I have control. Then I'll give her a bone to chew on to distract her and keep her busy....if all else fails kennel her. I know you aren't suppose to use the kennel for punishment but whatever works

Old 5th April 2005, 05:39 PM
Energetic Moderator

cibula11 -

You need to post your Introduction, as required in the Rules (which you agreed to when joining)

www.boxerworld.com/rules

Old 5th April 2005, 06:30 PM
Boxer Insane

chelsea329-
i would say that it is not something to become too alarmed about, as it is natural for a boxer puppy to be filled with exuberance and energy. however, this is something that does need to be addressed and corrected, if you do not want it to get worse as she gets older. it might be a bit irritating now, but when she is 60# and full grown, it will be much more painful, especially for your kids. since she knows the "off" command already, i'd say to start with that. just be consistent with her and consistently tell her "off" each and every time she jumps up or you anticipate her jumping up on someone. you can also try re-directing her energy by commanding her to "sit" when she jumps up on someone. this will teach her that she does not get any attention unless all four paws are on the ground, or in a "sit" position. you can also get her used to sitting before recieving such things as treats, pets, allowed outside, before walking through a door, etc. this type of training is sometimes called the (NILF) Nothing in Life is Free method of training. with the main principle being that they get something when they give something.

Old 8th April 2005, 01:51 PM
Boxer Pal

Thanks for the replies. It is nice to know that other dogs are doing this. We will keep working with her and telling her off. Hopefully it will sink in sooner or later. We are starting the NILF method. I do think it is a great idea! Thanks!

Old 8th April 2005, 02:13 PM
Boxer Insane

keep us posted and let us know how things work out.

Old 9th April 2005, 10:11 PM
Boxer Pal

Thank you I will! I'm kind of curious to what you guys might think. I notice that the sassing only happens with my husband and I. The kids can pet her, lay by her, etc... and she doesn't say a word. I go to pet her and she starts trying to mouth my hand, growling etc... Same with my husband. Wonder why us and not the kids. I find it interesting. We are definately going to have to work on the jumping. We'll just keep telling her off and push her down from us and tell her to sit. Which she knows how to do really well, except when she is in her hyper barking, jumping mode. We'll keep working on it though!

Old 11th April 2005, 01:31 PM
Boxer Insane

Exercise, exercise, exercise!