Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Behavioral Issues

Behavioral Issues Why does he do that?

Closed Thread

Old 30th March 2005, 07:23 PM
Boxer Pal

Question Can a male and female boxer get along in one home?

We have a 4 1/2 month old female boxer and are looking into getting a male boxer. Are there any issues that may arise by having these 2 boxers within the same home?
Sponsored Links

Old 30th March 2005, 07:28 PM
Crafty Moderator

It really depends on the dog. Male/Female combos have the best chance of working out.

Old 30th March 2005, 07:35 PM
Boxer Pal

Question

Is this something that should be avoided if possible? I see so often, owners with 1 or more boxers, but I have also read that they don't mix. I love our little one and would love another, but if it's going to cause problems, I'll stay away from it. I've also read that once a boxer gets in a fight, they will remember it, so it's best to keep the dogs away from each other after a fight. Do you know if this is a true statement?

Old 30th March 2005, 07:45 PM
Boxer Insane

yes, pairing up a male with a female is what is preferred and most recommended. some males can get along with other males, but it also depends on the dog. the pairing that i would stay away from is two females. female boxers tend to be somewhat flighty at times and can sometimes become unpredictable. the makes are more affectionate and laid back and are the real lovers of the breed.

Old 30th March 2005, 07:45 PM
Crafty Moderator

Generally female boxers are the hardest combo. I have never heard that boxers don't get along

Old 30th March 2005, 07:50 PM
Boxer Booster

i hate to steal your thread Shannan46, but i have one itty bitty question - are the problems similare if there are two females that are NOT both boxers? i have a pug/russel mix and a boxer puppy. both are female and i really hope its okay, because i love them both to bits! i knew way beforehand that two females are not the best mix, but my mum did not believe me! she has this weird thing AGAINST males for some crazy reason, and she's never even owned a male dog in her life!! go figure ! anyway, a little advice on how to establish a happy family would be greatly appreciated! thanks, and sorry again Shannan46!

Old 30th March 2005, 10:34 PM
Boxer Pal

No problem, Lovely Rita! Thank you to everyone for all of the advice! Sounds like this will be somewhat of a big decision for us. I'll continue my research a little longer before going forward with this.

Old 31st March 2005, 06:51 AM
Boxer Pal

Can a male and female boxer get along in one home? Reply to Thread

We had our male boxer first, and also felt terrible that he had to stay alone for 10 hrs on the weekdays, so when he turned 4 months we got a female boxer. They play and love eachother sooo much. You cannot seperate them. When ever we go to a new environment the female waites for the male to go first and she figures everything is safe.

Aloha

Gerami

Old 31st March 2005, 07:06 AM
Boxer Insane

Thumbs up

I have a 4 year old female and a 15 month old male. They LOVE each other.
They have little spats (usually about a toy or attention), but other than that, they are great together and great company for each other when we are not at home. My female Sandy, seems much happier since Napoleon is there.

Good Luck!!

Old 31st March 2005, 07:16 AM
Super Boxer

Ever since we got our female boxer, we have asked ourselves why we did not get a 2nd boxer sooner because they just love each other to bits, and have so much fun playing together. We have a male and a female and in general they get along extremely well.
A few months ago both of them were playing in the back yard and all of a sudden it escalated into a big fight - not sure what happened, but no-one was seriously injured and luckily there were no lasting consequences. So, a fight does not necessarily mean problems, but one does have to be careful.

The one area where we could probably have problems is with food - my male is food-crazed and very possessive of his food, but luckily my female is not that interested in food. So, we have always been careful with feeding them - knowing that this is a potential problem area. They get fed separately and we always make sure that Star doesn't go near our male when he is eating.

Old 31st March 2005, 03:41 PM
Boxer Pal

getting second boxer

We have a male and female boxer and a male standard poodle. The only problem that we have had is the males hog the food and poor Bella has lost weight because of this. We now feed her alone. Otherwise, they get along very well.

Old 31st March 2005, 05:53 PM
Boxer Booster

I had my male first, then I got my female second. And they love each other to death. Bruiser is about 4 months & Luna is about 7 months old. Good Luck with your decision.