Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Behavioral Issues

Behavioral Issues Why does he do that?

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2012, 10:04 AM
Boxer Insane

chewing

My Bella is now almost 8 months old and has decided to start chewing my door frames. I have tried bitter apple, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, removing her from the room, treats, kongs,.....

I am at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas on stopping her from chewing up my house?? She has lots of toys, kongs and bones to chew on. When she chews on her things, we praise her a lot, give her special treats, etc
But, if I turn my back to a minute, she goes for the door frames.
I don't get it.

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links

Old 9th May 2012, 03:24 AM
Boxer Insane

Could it be that she is still teething? She may be trying to relieve some of the pain. I think they are still teething up to 8 months or so.
sandy's mom (9th May 2012)

Old 9th May 2012, 05:53 AM
Boxer Pal

This may not help at all but jack seems to have real bad anxiety. We usually take him to our friends with a fenced in yard but he stays on the back porch when we are inside. Even though he can see us through the window he chewed on one of there window frames. My mothers dog is on anxiety medication maybe that could have something to do with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jacksonm For This Useful Post:

Old 9th May 2012, 09:45 AM
Boxer Insane

Is she confined when she is chewing, or is she free to move around the house and is just chewing when you aren't paying attention to her?

Old 9th May 2012, 10:03 AM
Boxer Insane

she does not chew when she is confined, usually it is just when I am doing something else and not 100% watching her. When I am watching her, she plays with her toys or sticks... she loves sticks.

Yesterday, I was stupid and left her and Napoleon in my sun room while I ran an errand. I know have a partial door frame, the rest has been eaten.
I don't really think it is anxiety, she seems fine being left, even when she is crated, she is fine. I don't know!

Old 9th May 2012, 12:14 PM
Boxer Insane

A couple of things come to mind...

She may be that she has just decided that wood is a really good thing to chew on. I imagine that wood is a pretty satisfying thing for a dog to chew and if she's been chewing sticks and liking it then it isn't a big jump to chewing doorjams. If she has developed a wood chewing preference, it now is the go-to object when she is bored or anxious or looking for something to chew.

Also, I know you don't think she is very anxious but I would be curious to see what her behavior is when you are gone. She might be mildly anxious about being left alone. If it is just mild anxiety it might not be enough to make her chew her crate when she's in there. After all, a crate isn't a comfortable thing to chew on. She might just whine when in the crate. But when she isn't crated (and there are better, more satisfying things to chew) she goes for the doorjams because of that pesky wood chewing preference.

Lastly, what do you do when you see her chewing on the doorjams? Is there any chance that she has learned that if she is bored and chews the doorjams you are going to offer her a better, more exciting alternative? She might have initially chewed to relieve boredom and picked the doorjam because it is similar to her sticks. After you redirected her enough times, she decided doorjam chewing was a good strategy to relieve boredom--not because it is such a great activity itself, but because it causes a better activity to be offered. If you redirect her when you are home, that might be enough to make the behavior so strong that she even does it when you are gone.

The solution is to prevent her from getting bored (which means plenty of mental and physical exercise), elimite her ability to chew sticks, build preference in a more appropriate chew item, keep her crated when you leave so she can't continue to chew the doorjams, and offer her an appropriate object to chew *before* you turn your attention from her so that she occupies herself with that item when you aren't able to supervise her 100%.
The Following User Says Thank You to TwoDogs For This Useful Post:

Old 10th May 2012, 11:31 AM
Boxer Booster

Puppy spray

I know this is taboo, but I bought some puppy repellent spray for areas I wanted to keep my dog away from and it works she smells it and immediately walks away. I would try that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fabbidavisjr For This Useful Post:
sandy's mom (10th May 2012)

Old 10th May 2012, 12:51 PM
Boxer Insane

I tried Bitter apple, which taste horible and some stuff dh found that is a repellant so they won't get in flower beds.

Neither worked.

We are working on her confidence.
I have been giving her little chores and commands that I know she can handle and really praising her when she doesn them.

And, she has a new kong will new stuff to go in it.

Wish me luck!

Old 10th May 2012, 02:27 PM
Boxer Booster

Shes a pup

She's still a pup they do ton's of bad stuff when your not watching....she'll grow out of it...the best thing to limit the damage is to keep them tired, exercise them a lot and they won't have that much energy left to burn....but we all know boxers can go all day. But they do mature trust me haha