Fighting, Completely lost with what to do...
I currently have 3 dogs
Georgia,a female boxer,17 months unaltered,
Max, a male boxer, 18 months unaltered
and Avery, a female dogue de bordeaux/lab cross 5 years
I have come to realize(a little too late) that I have on my hands probably, two of the most volatile breeds for female dog-to-dog aggression.
For the last week my two females have decided they would like to kill each other. The first day was a minor scuffle that did not have me too concerned. The second day they went for blood. On the second day I began a separation and rotation regimen, between the house, bedrooms, and the yard. The male was not getting involved until last night. My husband went to hand our son a drink at his door. Unaware Georgia was right behind him. Avery lunged through his legs and a fight ensued.
On day two, after the first fight,I immediately took them to the vet to rule out any medical issues. Took them yesterday to another vet for a second opinion when the first vet seemed unconcerned. The second vet is also a certified behaviorist.
I have spent the last 5 days on the internet and the forum boards researching bitch fighting and understand the severity of the problem I am facing.
The second vet/behaviorist has assessed the situation and given us a list of things to begin working on. We have attempted the first steps and they were not too successful. I do completely understand this is a very slow and long road with a slim chance of success.
The vet has mentioned possibly placing Georgia on anti-depressants and/or anti-anxiety medication if the behavior modification shows little or no improvement.
I am willing and able to separate for the duration of their lives. They are family not just dogs. My concern with this is that the area we live in reaches extreme heat in summer. So, leaving them outside in summer will not be an option. They do not like being locked off in a room. The door jambs are getting destroyed already. It will be difficult but we are in this for the long haul.
My questions are...
Does anyone have experience with this protocol (meds/behavior modification)?
Did you have success?
Will spaying help at this point? (We have waited to alter to avoid growth issues.)
Thanks in advance