Sad Day - Need Your Help!
Gracie was never very friendly, despite two rounds of puppy training for socializing purposes, a positive reinforcement training program, and tons of love in a very stable and quiet family. She obeys commands quite well, in 90% of cases, where external stimuli are not very strong.
But today at the mall, in the parking lot, she growled at a person who petted her - a first! A very saddening and concerning first. All my dogs until now were trustworthy, calm, playful, entirely non-threatening. My peace of mind is gone, and so is my trust in Grace. This has come to a point where I don't think we're qualified to handle it ourselves anymore... we need your help!
If you have knowldge of a good dog (boxer) behaviorist or trainer who can help that would be great. We can travel if s/he is not local (we're in Kentucky), or we can send videos of her behaviors. We need help getting Grace to be a decently sociable dog. While I can understand she may never be a dogpark dog, I do want to make sure we're doing anything possible to revert these worrisome tendencies.
Some more facts:
- she is very soft-mouthed and has never bit anyone, not even in play
- she seems quite an anxious personality, barking very loudly if someone passes by our car, or even looks at her in traffic.
- we've had her since she was 8 weeks old, have never laid a finger on her.
- she has a very strong prey drive
- she has been clicker-trained, and we've followed the protocols in "Click to Calm."
- she is now 14 months old
Please help... she is a wonderful boxer girl and we'd love her to be on the best possible boxer behavior. Any advice and referrals welcome and appreciated!
Thank you all !
Grace - fawn female, 12/07/2012
Lara - fawn female (forever in our hearts... 11/15/1996-08/13/2010)