Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Behavioral Issues

Behavioral Issues Why does he do that?

Closed Thread

Old 29th July 2011, 11:31 PM
Boxer Booster

Eating EVERYTHING

Are all boxers hoovers? Kona is our first boxer and I'm noticing an odd behavior. She picks up the oddest things and tries to eat them. She will pick up any "garbage" type things and try to eat them. Her favorite are bits of paper, twigs, leaves, small rocks, fuzz from toys, strings, and...the latest...fur from when DH brushed the cat. She finds these little oddities and if we aren't fast enough, down they go.

Is this a normal boxer trait that we'll have to continue to watch for? Or could it just be a puppy thing that she might hopefully outgrow? She's just turned 7 months old. She's super good about not chewing furniture/cabinets/shoes etc. She has an assortment of bones and toys to chew on and is awesome about using them. But the hoover habit has me worried that one day she'll scoop up something bad before I can get it out of that cavernous mouth!!

Any other experiences and/or advice is greately appreciated! Thanks
Jack- Orange tabby kitty cat boy 10/1996
Sponsored Links

Old 30th July 2011, 02:12 AM
Boxer Buddy

my boys kinda the same, hes great for chewing things has NOT wrecked one thinig of importance scince we had him.... however from when we got him (10 weeks) to about 4 or 5 months old he tried to eat strange things like the fluff from his toys or bottle tops (confiscated from him immediatly) lol ....however.... he seems to have growen out of it... so there hope for you yet .....
good luck :P

Old 30th July 2011, 02:27 AM
Boxer Insane

Form my experience it is normal ,Roge is 3 and is not near a bad as he used to be but I still need to keep an eye on him. oh the joys of being a mum to a goofy silly furball. lol.

Last edited by Roge; 30th July 2011 at 02:27 AM. Reason: error

Old 30th July 2011, 06:12 AM
Boxer Insane

Arabella went thru a phase when she was younger but grew out of it. Thor on the other hand, who BTW is 10 yrs old, can still hoover with the best of them! Tho' he is usually just looking for crumbs. (My dh can be pretty messy with his popcorn.) This is where the importance of the "leave it" command comes in, or in my house the "yucky" command.
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 30th July 2011, 09:45 AM
Boxer Insane

Juno is the same. my other dogs never needed a leave it command, but I find myself using it allllll the time with her.

Old 30th July 2011, 10:07 AM
Boxer Booster

Roxie is an 11 week old hoover, whereas Rocco didn't bother anything. So I guess its just the individual. Roxie's favorite thing of all time is mulch. I take more mulch out of her mouth then I thought was even possible to have in my garden, lol

Old 30th July 2011, 01:12 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorblu View Post
This is where the importance of the "leave it" command comes in, or in my house the "yucky" command.
This made me smile as we, too, use the "yucky" command which normally follows the "leave it" command that often goes ignored.

A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such. -- John Holmes

Old 15th August 2011, 11:20 AM
Boxer Buddy

I've never tried "yucky"...that's great!

Rocky actually looks like a little vaccuum when he snorts around the floor after we eat...and Opie likes to try to eat the fuzz off of tennis balls and I'm pretty sure he's eaten at least 50 lbs of oak limbs, acorns and leaves.

I call them my little goats. They are always one step ahead of me. They are so lucky that they're so cute!
My sweet Rocky (4/04 to 7/12) and my Bruno (7/11/02 to 07/18/13)

Old 15th August 2011, 12:14 PM
Boxer Buddy

i've got a hoover too!

My girl is food obsessed. If she gets into something that she knows she isn't supposed to, she'll just swallow it as fast as she can. It almost sounds like she is hyperventilating she's so excited.

During a play date with my neighbors' dog when she was around 4 months old we had a really "yuck" incident. My neighbors' dog found a dead rat that she picked up. She was told to "drop it" and the second she did, Ruca picked it up. I told her to come to me, and she did. I told her to drop it, and she just looked at me with a rat tongue hanging out of her mouth. I went to pry open her mouth to get the rat out and she swallowed it...whole!! Ew.

The next day she managed to get a burrito off of the kitchen counter, take it out of the bag, take it out of the wrapper, and unwrap the tortilla. I found her only seconds after I heard the noise, but she was already frantically trying to eat every last morsel.

I think my girl goes into some weird state when there is off-limits food accesible to her. She goes totally frantic and deaf. She is getting better with "leave it" now (I love yucky by the way) but when she has access to the food all bets are off!

Old 15th August 2011, 03:28 PM
Boxer Pal

My sister's boxers eat fabric softner sheets!!! My 10 week old doesn't count...she is still a pup and eats anything and everything!

Old 16th August 2011, 10:16 PM
Boxer Booster

Red face Daisy is a hover deluxe :lol:

Daisy will eat anything any every thing, mulch from the garden, rocks, leafs, flowers, fabric softners, and the worst is kleenex tissues !! I will be siting at my desk blowing my nose and she will literaly jump in my lap to get the tissue from my hands which is super annoying !!

and the worst part is I can not leave a pee wee pad with her in the kenel when I leave for a little while because when I get home she will have pooed on it then tore it up and flung the pieces all over the kennel !! kind of remindes me of monkeys flinging poo but if i dont put anything in the kennel she wont do anything and will go out side when I get home, oh the joy of puppy hood ! So glad she is cute

Best Wishes

Ashley & flinging poo Daisy

Old 22nd August 2011, 01:50 PM
Boxer Buddy

Late but...

This post made me laugh out loud! Emma has been a little hoover since she was a puppy. If you tell her to "leave it" when it's already in her mouth she will gobble it up as fast as possible.

It took me about two months when she was a puppy to realize that she was the reason all my hair ties had gone missing.

I taught her that I was happy when she "found" things for me though instead of reacting to her having something she wasn't supposed to. "THANK YOU, did you find that for me?!" became a life saver. I'd trade her a treat for whatever she had in her mouth and now even at two she will still pick up things and go out of her way to show them to me so I can trade her for treat.
The Following User Says Thank You to EllieKem For This Useful Post:
LILYLARUE (24th August 2011)