Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Behavioral Issues

Behavioral Issues Why does he do that?

Closed Thread

Old 13th April 2009, 01:36 PM
Boxer Pal

peeing in the house

I am at a loss... i don't know if anybody can help...
My dog will not stop peeing in the house. She is 1 year and 3 months. She is house trained. very well behaived dog but with a very strong attitude. If she doesn't like something or somebody - she pees.
Today had another acident where she saw landscapers working on our back yard and as i was about to put her on a leash to take her outside she peed...
I've talk to the breeder we took her from - she doesn't know what;s going on or how to stop it.. i talked to dog trainers we took her for training - they can't advise anything either except beeing patient... I love my dog. I can deal with puppy issues and training etc... but my house smells like urine a lot of the time...The worst thing is that i don't know what to do and how to train her to stop doing this...
Is this common for females?

i am getting close to the point of finding her a new home... but i love her too much and would not want to put her through this kind of stress...

Just really upset and frustrated and the same time, so any advice on what to do would be really appreciated...
Sponsored Links

Old 2nd May 2009, 05:15 PM
Super Boxer

Did you have her checked for a UTI?
Christy

Old 5th May 2009, 09:01 PM
Boxer Booster

Wink peeing in house

Just for your info. My female was very late for toilet training too. She was about 1 1/2.
She would stand by the back door and if we werent there to see her she would just wee inside. It also helped when I got a childs tamborine & hung it on the back door and lifted her paw and when it jingled I said good girl good girl and let her out. Even if she nudged it as soon as the bells went straight away run and open door and lots and lots of encouragement.
This worked for me - so good luck - and please dont give away your baby if she is in a good home where she is loved - I am sure she will come good. I have lots of issues with my dogs - it was only this morning I was leaving for work and they were ripping up their bed I had made for them - wadding everywhere. So after work today I have to fix that up!! I am recently seperated & they cant be walked together as they are too strong & a handful - I walk each seperately everyday except when I take them both to the beach for a good run. But I could not ever imagine being without them.

Old 6th May 2009, 06:43 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
My dog will not stop peeing in the house. She is 1 year and 3 months. She is house trained.
The above statements CAN'T go together. If she is still going potty in the house she is NOT house trained (minus a health issue).

Dogs don't think like humans. They don't do things out of spite (not liking something therefore peeing in the house to let you know about their dislike).

The landscapers scenario seems like a fear based thing. Some dogs who lack self confidence will oftentimes pee as a sign of fear and or anxiety (more common with puppies to do as a sign of submission or even "excitement" pee when meeting a new person/dog).

Finding her a new home will only solve YOUR problem but make her "issues" someone else's. Could even make her problem worse.

You can try to pinpoint what things set off this behavior and make every attempt to avoid them. Easier said than done and won't give her what she needs (confidence) BUT she may outgrow it eventually. A better idea would be to do things that DO build up her confidence. Potty training 101 (going back to square one) where you go outside with her every time she has to potty and go through all the steps you did when originally training her. Praise and or treating when she goes outside. As she "re-learns" that going potty outside and not in the house is what is allowed, (along with a lot of praise), this will go a long way in building up her confidence.

A lot of times we don't realize that our reaction to certain situations actually keep the wrong cycle going. How did you react when you saw her going potty when she saw the landscapers? If you reacted in a negative way (irritated that you would have to clean it up) SHE picked up on that. She will remember that you got upset with her.....not that you got upset with her because she went potty. She may even have thought you too were upset with the people outside. This may have instilled in her further that "whoever" was outside was a bad thing and her reaction (pee) was "normal".

Starting over with the potty training will be much easier this time around since she probably knows the ropes (so to speak). She may just need a "refresher" course. At minimum it will go a long way in boosting her confidence. Most dogs feed on praise. They like to know when they have done something right and will continue to strive for those things to keep getting good feedback from their humans.