Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Behavioral Issues

Behavioral Issues Why does he do that?

Closed Thread

Old 8th September 2007, 10:10 AM
Boxer Buddy

My Boxer doesn't bark

That's right, she never barks. Well, there are only a few things that will actually make her bark and that is if she is playing, or if I ask her if she wants a treat, and finally, she will bark if she thinks that my 15 month old or my wife is in danger.

She won't bark if some one knocks on the door, she won't bark at people walking past our house and she won't bark at other dogs... Which leads me to me next problem...

I just had new neighbors move in and their great contribution to this relatively quiet neighborhood is 4 dogs that won't shut up! They are outside all day barking their stupid heads off and it is driving me nuts. My boxer loves to go outside and lay in the sun in the front yard but now she doesn't enjoy it as much because the 4 yappy dogs next door just run over to the fence and bark until they are out of breath. If I take 1 step outside these dogs stand there and bark at me. I cannot have my 15 month old son's window open when he goes down for a nap because of the dogs.

Are boxers usually a quiet dog? Does any one here have a boxer that is that quiet, any one here have a boxer that is always barking?

Well, that's my rant. I LOVE my quiet boxer.

Old 8th September 2007, 11:25 AM
Boxer Insane

Luke is the strong silent type. I've only heard him bark maybe 10 times in the 3 years we've had him. He barks only when necessary (I guess when he has something important to say). Leia barks on occassion but alot more than Luke. Usually when she is playing or someone comes to the door.

My brother in-law's boxer barks constantly
CHEWIE - White Boxer - DOB Aug. 2007 (rescue)

Old 8th September 2007, 12:30 PM
Boxer Insane

Rolen is very quiet...doesn't bark much at all. Really the only time I've heard him bark is when his ball gets stuck when he is playing and he can't get to it. He doesn't bark when someone comes to the door or when someone passes by the house. He also doesn't bark at other dogs. I like the fact that he is so quiet! We haven't been in a situation where he thinks I'm in danger, but I don't even know if he would bark then

Old 8th September 2007, 04:16 PM
Boxer Insane

My last sweet girl NEVER barked, her brother and the girl I have now bark at everything, but just to alert then they stop. Your neighbor sounds very inconsiderate! Time to have a chat with them perhaps and see if they can not quiet thier dogs down? That would drive me nuts

Old 8th September 2007, 07:15 PM
Boxer Booster

My Cassius never barks at people or other dogs either. He barks only when he is playing, and that is only sometimes. Like RolenKisses, Cassius barks if his ball rolls under the fence (or couch) and he cannot reach it on his own! I guess the other time he barks is when he lawnmower or vacuum are going
~Coal - black medium hair cat

Old 8th September 2007, 08:02 PM
Boxer Insane

Buddy only barks when he has to. Most of the time, he's quiet and just alert. He doesn't bark at other dogs or people. He will bark only with a knock on the door or the door bell. I definately understand about the yapping dogs next door. We have several that always bark. Buddy still lays out in the yard and ignores them. He acts like he doesn't even hear them.
and spoiled

Old 9th September 2007, 06:45 AM
Boxer Insane

Talking

Rocky and Rascal were seldom heard to make a sound. In fact I was never successful at teaching either to 'speak'. And believe me I tried. Rascal took up barking in his old age as he developed some seperation issues, but even that was very rare. I often told friends that boxers were in general a very quiet breed. Wasn't I an idiot!?

Now Indiana? Holy cats. That dog just turned 3 and is finally learning to love the quiet. Just like a chattering child he truly loves to hear himself. He will walk around muttering sometimes, grumbles or back talks, (that has pretty much ended these days), used to bark at leaves, barked when he was happy, barked when he wanted to encourage someone to play, barked when he was bored, barked for almost any reason at all. He liked the sound of his voice...a lot! I've worked with him on it, a lot! and he is much improved. Three is truly a magic age with boxers. That is not to say that he won't still give out a shout now and then, but he's much improved.

Even the trainer at daycare, who has 2 boxers of his own and is magic with bully breeds, just smiles at Indy and shakes his head at what a silly, noisy boy he can be. And just about when I'm at the end of my rope, he knows it and goes into his best gentleman routine. Gotta love boxers!

Last edited by Indy's mom; 9th September 2007 at 06:46 AM.

Old 25th September 2007, 08:22 AM
Boxer Pal

Boxers don't tend to be a "yappy" type of dog. Parker is my second boxer and he doesn't bark very much at all. (Only when we are playing games in the back yard will he sometimes bark and his new behaviour problem, barking in his kennel!) If you watch your boxer, they stare. Sometimes I love this, sometimes I would really like a loud guard dog!

Old 25th September 2007, 12:48 PM
Super Boxer

Rocky doesn't bark at people, other dogs or if someone is at the door. He will bark when I say "speak" to get a treat and barks his head off while I'm vacuuming. Dino will bark occasionally if someone walks by or if he hears a strange noise. I like that they're quiet. We used to have a Pomeranian that barked at everything - that gets very irritating.
Rocco & Dino: RIP - IMHF

Old 25th September 2007, 01:17 PM
Boxer Pal

Cheyanne only barks when she is alerted by something (eg. somebody knocking on the door, etc.) or when she is playing. She does however have a habit of howling at telephones and tv's. lol

Old 25th September 2007, 01:25 PM
Boxer Insane

Well, I can understand where you are coming from when you wrote about the neighbour's yappy dogs. Owning one myself I know first hand. Our poodle barks if a fly goes by the window. He is a darling but just loves to bark but where I live there are beagles barking all the time. It drives me nuts. As soon as one starts then they all start and then Bailey starts. Ali our boxer does bark but she was trained to bark by Bailey. Whenever he barks, she barks and that's quite often. But I don't think she would bark near as much because last week Bailey was getting his bath and my brother came right on in the house and Ali didn't make a peep. Bailey did manage to get a small one out when he heard my brother speak. It's nuts. I can't imagine having four barkers. You and everyone who wrote and said they boxers don't bark are truly lucky. But I'll never know cause like I said Bailey trained Ali.

Old 8th October 2007, 01:19 PM
Boxer Buddy

Jager hardly ever barks also! The only times is usually outside, if he sees a kid walk by our yard, or another dog. But those are still rare occurences! He's mostly a quiet boy too, and I LOVE it! Our neighbors dogs are annoying too! Ugh!