Go Back   Boxer Board > BEHAVIOUR FORUMS > Behavioral Issues

Behavioral Issues Why does he do that?

Closed Thread

Old 16th November 2006, 08:27 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

at what age do they start to calm down???

i don't know if it is the fact that i am pregnant or not, but since brutus has turned three he is not as active as he used to be. oh sure we have the occasional burns, and he becomes a live wire if you want to wrestle with him. but most of the day he just sleeps away.

he never really was a cuddlebug, but here lately wherever mommy is, so is brutus, either with his head on my belly or all sprawled out expecting me to rub his belly. so, i think this is normal? do they start to calm down after three, i also must add he is much more behaved here lately. so i am not complaining, i just sometimes miss the pup in him.
Sponsored Links

Old 16th November 2006, 08:32 AM
Boxer Insane

You asked at what age do they calm down - Lisa hasn´t.
I was told when she was a pup that by two years she will have calmed down, I´m still waiting for that dog that will calmly walk beside me when we go for walks and that will lay quietly at my feet - no such luck here.

Old 16th November 2006, 10:19 AM
Boxer Insane

Our first boxer boy stayed a puppy for life and we lost him at 10.

Sophie has always been quieter - to be honest I think a lot of her boxerisms were knocked out of her by her first owners

Dino well he's only 2 and full of beans

Old 16th November 2006, 11:07 AM
Boxer Insane

Mine too are all different but for the most part I start to see a maturity around two.

Old 16th November 2006, 05:21 PM
Super Boxer

My almost 3 year old Gracie has calmed down a lot. She's more active now that we've adopted Gus (10 months old) but I noticed around when she hit 2 years old she became much calmer. I like her grown-up personality just as much as her crazy puppy personality! One of the most noticable things I saw change was the way she plays with new dogs. She used to run up to any dog and wrestle if they would, but now she is a lot more aloof. She still runs and wrestles with dogs that she knows well, but she is a lot calmer at the dog park and leaves the running and wrestling with new dogs to Gus. I often get comments on how calm she is for a boxer (whatever that means!!).

Old 17th November 2006, 09:54 AM
Boxer Booster

Talking

My Jakey calmed down at about 5 years. He would still be crazy if we were out somewhere playing (throwing the ball at the park, or especially sledding in the winter- he'd chase or try to race you down the hill, barking madly the whole time, and be constantly trying to save you from the fuzzy monsters that were trying to eat your hands-(trying to pull off mittens)). But at the dog park he would be more interested in checking out the people than running and playing with the other dogs. He still did his crazy happy nudging wiggle dance when company would come to the house, complete with golden sprinkles-unfortunately that's one puppy trait he never grew out of..
Bailey: Kitty 02/12/04

Old 17th November 2006, 10:03 AM
Boxer Insane

Lola is 20 months old now and has calmed down considerably, or has she actually? Is it in comparison to Zeb she's an angel

Old 17th November 2006, 11:58 AM
Boxer Booster

I am pregnant too and Oscar has not seemed to calm down though (he's 17 months only). But he has been loving to cuddle with his head on my belly a lot!

Old 20th November 2006, 07:26 AM
Boxer Insane

My baby never really calmed down, until she became sick. She went to the bridge at 10.5 yrs, the last few months I had the calm dog I always wanted, but also found that I didn't like this new "calm". Because I knew what it meant.

Old 21st November 2006, 10:43 PM
Boxer Pal

u mentioned ur pregnant, maybe he's being gentle to protect u... Bubi made it to 10 yrs never calmed down at all.

Old 22nd November 2006, 03:39 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

from my previous experience, I grew up with a Boxer, I never saw him calm until the day we had to put him to sleep!

Old 2nd December 2006, 07:28 PM
Boxer Insane

My girl is 3 years, 8 months.
She has yet to calm down.
Of course with age comes wisdom and she listens very well but her activity level has not slowed down at all. I can contain her energy level somewhat by redirecting her attention but if she had it her way she would be bouncing off the walls 24/7.
Good thing about a high energy spaz dog......they play hard but they sleep even harder!
Once she is down, she is OUT. Loud noises, doorbells, the cat walking on top of her.....nothing will wake her up once she goes to sleep unless she wants to wake up.