Go Back   Boxer Board > DOG SPORT > Agility/Obedience

Agility/Obedience For Agility and Obedience related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 28th October 2011, 11:16 PM
Boxer Insane

Off leash progress...

Johann and I have struggled quite a bit with off leash rally courses. Actually, I struggle to not cry or laugh as he demolishes the entire course and runs around like an idiot with a sign or cone in his mouth.

Like a glutton for punishment, I keep trying though. It usually means he takes off as soon as he is unhooked...and immediately goes deaf and forgets that he knows any commands (mostly come and leave it). We're talking ten minutes of a boxer burn until he wears himself out enough for me to catch him. Amusing for others, embarrassing and frustrating for me.

This week though....we made some real progress. I was doing a course in class with food bowl distraction and cones (his weakness). He ran off initially, but came right back when I called him and we actually did the whole course. you could also see him resisting thr urge to run off and demolish things....the first time I have gotten any real impulse control in an off leash course. Appicon it may not have been a pretty run, and he did take off once to go sniff the food bowls....but I was so proud of him. I feel like we may actually be able to do off leash competitions someday.
samsons (29th October 2011)
Sponsored Links

Old 31st October 2011, 03:37 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

YAY! Johann!! hehe I can just imagine his running through the whole course with a cone in his mouth Oh I love these stories, they make me laugh and that is super good for me hehe. Silly Johann! Good boy for actually doing the course this time!

Old 2nd November 2011, 11:08 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCharlie View Post
YAY! Johann!! hehe I can just imagine his running through the whole course with a cone in his mouth Oh I love these stories, they make me laugh and that is super good for me hehe. Silly Johann! Good boy for actually doing the course this time!
He is quite hilarious. Especially since the running is usually accompanied with much boxer growling and barking.

Last night in class- he ran and grabbed a cone, I said "Drop it now" and he actually did!! Then came back and ran the rest of the course with me (dragging a short leash, but still good). He didn't even run around the ring once with the cone.

If you were closer, Johann would gladly demonstrate his craziness in person to cheer you up!

Old 3rd November 2011, 11:37 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

hehe, I would love to see it! you'll have to have someone video next time!

Old 3rd November 2011, 11:53 AM
Boxer Insane

that's awesome!!!

Old 8th November 2011, 07:40 AM
Boxer Insane

Good job, Johann!! But if I was in class with you, I would probably prefer the boxer burn with a cone in his mouth just for the hilarity of it.

Old 8th November 2011, 08:12 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega's Mom View Post
Good job, Johann!! But if I was in class with you, I would probably prefer the boxer burn with a cone in his mouth just for the hilarity of it.
It certainly is more entertaining. He has taught a young service lab in training all about boxer antics.....who proceeds to copy him when it's their turn to do the course. Johann is such a good influence.

The whole situation is funny because he has an excellent recall on off leash walks, the beach, etc. Put him in an obedience ring off leash, and it's like he's never heard his name or has come completely deaf.

Good thing I love his goofy sense of humor.

Old 8th November 2011, 10:23 AM
Boxer Insane

so fun to have boxers!!! never a dull moment!

Old 8th November 2011, 02:19 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Johann your a crazy guy!
Jersey 02/22/2012 Fawn Female Nub Floppy