Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER RESCUE FORUMS > Adoptions

Adoptions If you want to adopt a boxer or if you have a boxer to give, use this board to contact a boxer rescue.

Closed Thread

Old 13th September 2009, 07:23 PM
Boxer Pal

2 year old female boxer

Thanks to this great economy, I no longer have the income I used to because my ex was laid off and so I am no longer receiving my child support. I work full time, but it is not enough to pay the bills. He has been out of work for a year now, and I truly see no light a the end of the tunnel for us. I have been hanging in, but my savings is almost gone. I will be forced to move in with family soon. And I don't know anyone that can have a dog. The one that can is highly allergic and said absolutely not.

My biggest problem with rehoming my wonderful best friend is that once she is gone, she must stay gone. I have a son with a mental health issue, and he can not have a pet one day, it be gone the next, then it comes back, and then leaves again. That would be devastating to him. He does understand death, we had a frog that died. So I have to be able to tell him that she died. And I will literally be telling everyone she dies so no one screws up and lets it slip. So I can't do a trial run with someone and have it go bad. So I would really need a rescue or someone who would work through any possible issue. She deserves a wonderful home after the abuse that she has suffered in the past.

My girl is female dominant. She doesn't just attack other dogs, but if she gets dominant with another dominant dog, there is potential for a fight. She does like larger males, bigger than her has been best, so at least 60#.

She is crate trained. Actually she is crated for 9 hours when I'm gone. Can't afford a walker anymore. And she is able to hold it all day. But I don't like that, I'm afraid she will start getting UTI's or worse kidney problems. It's no life for her. But I rent and can't risk her tearing up the walls etc.

What makes me sad is that I rescued her from abusive people last year. So I am already her second home. She is fearful of men, but she does warm up to the ones she has the chance to get used to. I got her after my divorce, so she didn't live with him or anything. The other day he came over and she was wiggle butt for him! I told her she was a traitor, but the butt kept going!

She does love kids. Although I wouldn't say she is gentle. She will step on you if you lay on the floor, and her claws really hurt when she does it. She walks pretty good, only pulls when she sees critters. She has no idea what to do in a fenced yard. She just stands there and looks in the door like, why aren't you out here with me?" She is a velcro dog, but I think most boxers are.

I live in Cleveland Ohio. If you know of legit rescues please let me know.

What kind of certifications should rescues have? If they have none, how do I know they are legit? I saw some adds for rescues charging $500 for their dogs. That seems more like selling than rescuing to me.

I hope I put everything you would want to know, I'm very upset just thinking about this. Thank you for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links

Old 14th September 2009, 07:24 AM
Boxer Insane

I'm so sorry that circumstances have come to this for you. I wish you the very best outcome for you, your son and your sweet boxer girl.

hugs,
Sandy

Old 14th September 2009, 08:36 AM
Boxer Insane

If the rescue doesn't have 501c non-profit certification I would be suspicious and ask a lot of questions. As far as the $500 fee, that is not uncommon. Rescues spend a lot of money on vet bills. A single dog can cost thousands depending on what is wrong with them when they arrive in rescue. Some hardly cost anything. It balances out, and the fact is, if the rescue spends way more than they take in, they won't be able to help any more dogs. Besides, if you take a dog to the vet and have all the shots, tests and neutering and everything else done, you are going to be close to that $500 or over it anyway and any reputable rescue will have all that done before they place a dog.

"Max" 09-01-06 Flashy Brindle Male
J.C. U-AGI, CD,RE,OAP,OJP,CGC,TDIAOV at the bridge

Old 14th September 2009, 10:24 AM
Boxer Insane

Your story makes me so sad. I can't imagine having to rehome my boxers, it would just break my heart. Good luck to you and your son, I hope things get better for you. As for your ex, sorry, but he couldn't find SOMETHING in a year?? Even if it is two jobs at a fast food restaurant?? I would be taking him to court for child support payments. Sorry, no work for a year is a copout. Sometimes, you have to work where you don't want to, just to support your family, or in his case his son.
Roxy, 9 yr old brindle female, waiting at the bridge 4/10/00-4/10/09

Old 18th September 2009, 11:52 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayboxer View Post
Your story makes me so sad. I can't imagine having to rehome my boxers, it would just break my heart. Good luck to you and your son, I hope things get better for you. As for your ex, sorry, but he couldn't find SOMETHING in a year?? Even if it is two jobs at a fast food restaurant?? I would be taking him to court for child support payments. Sorry, no work for a year is a copout. Sometimes, you have to work where you don't want to, just to support your family, or in his case his son.
You must not know that some people are too good for minimum wage jobs!

Last edited by sargboxerluv; 18th September 2009 at 11:54 AM.

Old 18th September 2009, 12:27 PM
Super Boxer

Boxer rescue

This is a boxer rescue in our area. I've talked with the people who run it before and they are very nice. You can try them. I'm sorry for your troubles. Good luck!

Welcome to Lighthouse Boxer Rescue

Old 18th September 2009, 06:42 PM
Boxer Pal

I found 2 that sound like good places. They are both 501c3, they do home checks, take the dog back if for any reason the adopters couldn't keep her, and they do spay/nueter and shots. So this weekend I have to write up our story and email it to them. One of them is the place ROROSHELTON suggested. And I'm pretty sure I saw them at the Petsmart about a year back.

SARGBOXERLUV, that's exactly it! He thinks he's too good because he has a bachelors degree. On the plus side, in this time he's been jobless, he has been going for a masters degree. And he just sent me a message today stating he has a second interview at a job next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.