Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER RESCUE FORUMS > Adoptions

Adoptions If you want to adopt a boxer or if you have a boxer to give, use this board to contact a boxer rescue.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd August 2006, 10:30 AM
Super Boxer

Rescue with a Puppy???

I've been looking at available dogs on our local boxer rescue's website and have seen a few that might be a good fit for our family. After doing the research, I brought it up to DH and at first got a firm 'no way.' I was prepared for that and came up with a bazillion reasons why it was a good idea and he finally came around to my way of thinking.

We did this before when Carley was about 1-1/2 with disasterous results. The rescue (3 year old male) was fine but Carley was a wreck. She was definitely meant to be an only child and some friends of ours took the rescue and he's doing great. The experience was very difficult for us though. Carley was a nervous girl and had many 'issues' (sorry, baby, but you know you did.) Our Molley is very different. She's sassy and very confident at the ripe ole age of 5 months!

I've always thought that it would be nice to have two, rather than one. I look at the pictures on this website and see so many boxer siblings that look so happy, like they really have a best buddy to play and snuggle with other than their humans. I think how nice that would be, not only for them, but for us too.

So, I went online this morning and filled out the adoption form. I'm thinking a boy, maybe 3 or 4 years old, would be right for us. Now I'm nervous. I'm wondering if Molley's too young. I'm wondering how we can get a good feel for the dog's compatability when we go to the rescue. I'm wondering if I should just leave well enough alone stick with what we've got. I'm so confused now but I don't want to talk to DH about it since I had to convince him that this was a good idea. I could sure use some input from those of you who have done this, good or bad. Thank you.
Sponsored Links

Old 2nd August 2006, 11:05 AM
Boxer Insane

I was on the waiting list for quite a while, boxers usually lover other boxers, I went to a breeder and she had a boxer coming back that was a little older then I was looking for but they are great together!!! I don't regret it.

Old 2nd August 2006, 11:10 AM
Super Boxer

I think maybe because there are soooo many boxers and too few volunteers, it's different here. When we adopted before, we took Carley down there with us and they introduced us to their dogs, one at a time, of course. We would walk the rescue dog around the area with Carley and see how they acted toward each other and us. Once we chose, we filled out the final paperwork, paid and took the dogs home. We did sign papers agreeing to periodic home visits by their personnel but were never contacted after that.

Old 2nd August 2006, 11:21 AM
Super Boxer

We got Trooper Thorn from Boxer Rescue LA when he was 10 months old. He was awesome, but we could tell he was a little lonely. We had always intended to get a second boxer, but we wanted to give him some time to bond to us first.

We went back to BRLA and tried to find a companion, but the boxers they brought out to meet Trooper Thorn didn't seem compatible to him (their opinion, not necessarialy ours). They felt that TT was a dominant male and needed a more submissive dog. We thought we would have to get a puppy, but we really wanted to rescue one instead of going to a breeder.

Circumstances arose that we were able to rescue a 2 month old brindle that we named BeBop. Trooper Thorn LOVED him!! I was worried that BeBop would have separation issues from being removed from his litter, and I had rubbed a stuffed animal on his mother and father to give to him to sleep with. HE could not have cared less, he was only whining in his crate becasue he wated to be with his new cool older brother. They bonded immediately and I adore seeing them play and sleep and love on each other. They hate being seperated and I really do dread the day that one of them passes; not just for our sake, but for the one who is left behind.

Anyway, I would contact BRLA (since I see you live in So Ca) and get theri opinion. You can set up a weekend visit where you brink Molley to meet another dog and they will definately gove you good advice on who they think is a good fit or not. They are all about doing what is is EVERYONE'S best interests.

http://www.boxer-rescue-la.com/

Good Luck!
Bebop - Brindle - 04/01/03

Old 2nd August 2006, 01:52 PM
Super Boxer

I am in the same situation as you, Brandi is almost 6 mos and I badly want to rescue a boxer brother for her. My wife said yes, but I sometimes feel that it will be overwhelming and don't want to make a mistake. A lot of people on BW have 2 and are so happy. I would go ahead with the process, if you dont feel its right you dont have to do anything but if you find the right one, you'll be very happy .