Chocolate bread and butter pudding?
Degree of difficulty: Low
9 Slices, each 1cm thick, good quality white bread, 1 day old.
150g dark continental chocolate
425mls Thickened cream
4 tablespoons rum
110g caster sugar
A good pinch of cinnamon
Double cream, to serve
1. Remove the crusts from the bread and cut each slice into 4 triangles.
2. Place the chocolate cream, rum, sugar, butter and cinnamon in a bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water to melt the butter and chocolate and dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and stir to combine all ingredients.
3. Place the eggs in a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and then add to the chocolate mixture, making sure that all ingredients are well combined.
4. Spoon about a 1cm layer of the chocolate mixture in a 18X23x5cm lightly butter oven proof dish. Arrange half the bread over the chocolate in overlapping rows. Now pour the remaining chocolate mixture over the bread as evenly as possible. Arrange the rest of the bread over the top. Press down with a spoon so that the bread soaks up the chocolate mixture.
5. Cover with cling film and leave to stand at room temperature for 2 hours, and then place in the refrigerator for 24 hours or up to 48 hours.
6. When you are ready to cook the pudding pre-heat the oven to 180C, remove the cling film and bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is crunchy and the inside soft. Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with double cream poured over the top.
i havent tried this but i have heard its nice -